Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:53 am

Pens lose 4-0

- Did the Pens make the Canes look like SC contenders of what? The long gone Kattie O'Malley asked the Pens early in the year who they thought would be good... Canes came up a lot, they were not wrong.
- Pens have gotten tougher/grittier than last years club. Where is that in their game? No point in having beasts if you don't occasionally let them poop on someone else's lawn to get a reaction :twisted:
- Where is Sid right now? One of the few advantages of being often injured is it allows the body to rest. Is that what's wrong with Sid, needs a break? Something, cause he's just not himself.
- For the longest time, it seemed that everyone is just slumping at the same time. Well that equates to losing. Maybe it also means, "lost it", "over the hill"? Hello No I say, but some see it that way.
- Pens missed Dumo last night. Hunwick has looked good at points, but he's not worked out very well overall, especially his defensive coverage. Please trade for a warm bag of pucks
- I am officially :scared: for the first time this season. Pens have to fix many things, but they have to start real quick. It ain't over, but its now pretty much got to be Kings of '12, scrap in and win.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,433
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby IntangibleBeer on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:19 am

nonchalant

NON * CHA * LANT

adjective

(of a person or manner) feeling or appearing casually calm and relaxed; not displaying anxiety, interest, or enthusiasm.
"the Penguins played a nonchalant game last night"

As Penspal noted, it is definitely time to :scared:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,392
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Cranberry Township, PA

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:21 am

Pens simply looked outmatched. Canes speed reminded me of us 2 years ago. We look OLD and SLOW. We are having a severe problem getting and maintaining puck possession. Sully said afterward that the puck battle just isn't there and it simply isn't.

Aho's move on Schultz was something Sid used to do but that Sid increasingly may become a thing of the past I fear.

I think the Pens will have their good games throughout the year and may even have a run or 2 but this mixed identity is just something I am not good with. Too many big and slow guys in the line-up now. We gave the league the formula and then abandoned it ourselves.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,219
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:25 am

Just a small follow-up. 2 numbers

25 and 33.

Those are the ranks of Malkin and then Sid in the scoring race right now and the Pens have played more games then most of the league.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,219
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Antonio on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:09 am

This team is just terrible. That's pretty much all I took away from it.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,249
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Humperdink on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:18 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Just a small follow-up. 2 numbers

25 and 33.

Those are the ranks of Malkin and then Sid in the scoring race right now and the Pens have played more games then most of the league.


And the top six forwards (i.e. the supporting cast members), have not changed appreciably.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,732
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby maopens on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:37 am

As I watched yet another game filled with a nice mix of lethargy and apathy, I found myself confused.

Are the Pens still on their 2017 summer vacation, or are they on their 2018 summer vacation? It's hard to tell.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:24 pm

BUT HEY, they get to go right back at it tonight vs the Rags. Who thinks that they will find it tonight?

For some reason, I think they will. The Pens need to shed some blood tonight, be it their own or that scummy blue Ranger blood. The hockey gods need something, they are tired of these champions resting on their past victories!

Let's Go Pens!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,433
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Penspal wrote:BUT HEY, they get to go right back at it tonight vs the Rags. Who thinks that they will find it tonight?

For some reason, I think they will. The Pens need to shed some blood tonight, be it their own or that scummy blue Ranger blood. The hockey gods need something, they are tired of these champions resting on their past victories!

Let's Go Pens!

They play the Isles, not the Rags. And, while I think they can win, I am more worried about how they play Sunday against the Bruins, because, that's their MO. Play a good game, and look like complete poo 24-72 hours later. It's like they have Alzheimer's or something, and can't remember from game to game how to execute and make the right plays.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,609
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Great58 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:58 pm

I'd be fine with beating up some Rangers tonight, too.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,039
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Stillerz Bar on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:06 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Penspal wrote:BUT HEY, they get to go right back at it tonight vs the Rags. Who thinks that they will find it tonight?

For some reason, I think they will. The Pens need to shed some blood tonight, be it their own or that scummy blue Ranger blood. The hockey gods need something, they are tired of these champions resting on their past victories!

Let's Go Pens!

They play the Isles, not the Rags. And, while I think they can win, I am more worried about how they play Sunday against the Bruins, because, that's their MO. Play a good game, and look like complete poo 24-72 hours later. It's like they have Alzheimer's or something, and can't remember from game to game how to execute and make the right plays.

The Pens are completely a Jekyll & Hyde team right now. They can play a really nice game or look worse than a high school team on any given night. Early in the season it seemed that they were just having that happen on the 2nd game of back to backs but now it's a crap shot every night what we'll see. It kind of feels like they are just worn out after being on the go constantly for over 2 years straight.

Unless things change drastically I will be surprised if the even make the playoffs let alone make any noise there. To me the bigger question is whether they can get back to good hockey next season - we all know that we are closer to the end of the Crosby Malkin era than the beginning but I'm still hoping for a few more good seasons and possibly one last title run.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:13 pm

That second period was particularly horrifying. Passes were terrible even if there was absolutely zero pressure on either the passer or the recipient. Zone time was abysmal. Worse than the early 2000s teams.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,925
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Steve on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:52 pm

Image
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,766
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby no name on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:04 pm

The team looked tired and disinterested, not sure what kind of fix there is for that. Most teams have a hang over from one cup. We didn't, the team was so focused on getting another one it kept it going.

We didn't have any major move that you would think this team couldn't compete for another cup. but account for the players we lost and how weak the replacements were its no wonder why we are not in the playoff picture.

Can't complain we got 2 cups, we got the rest of this year and next offseason to find the right players to get the job done. I wouldn't be surprised if the other teams are not wanting to do business with the pens just to put the brakes on our cup run. We don't have the right assets to make major moves. Lets face it Daley, Shultz and a Hagelin were master moves at the time. Not only that, but losing Perron and Scuderi made those moves look so much better. Those types of moves just don't fall in ones lap everyday.

Maybe we should be happy we don't make the playoffs. I am sure my liver could use the break from all the playoff celebrations. 2 strait seasons we watched all the playoff games together. Hell we threw parties for the DVD releases and watched them together . Went to Paulene Park in Beechview to get a pic with the cup we drank bloody marys all morning before we went to that.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,988
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Stillerz Bar on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:49 pm

no name wrote:Maybe we should be happy we don't make the playoffs. I am sure my liver could use the break from all the playoff celebrations. 2 strait seasons we watched all the playoff games together. Hell we threw parties for the DVD releases and watched them together . Went to Paulene Park in Beechview to get a pic with the cup we drank bloody marys all morning before we went to that.

Had this same conversation last week with my wife - maybe not making the playoffs would actually be better than squeaking in and getting thumped in the first round like we did against the Rags 3 years ago. For starters it would be much clearer to everyone that changes are needed than if we make it and "have a bad series."

As much as I love the Pens, almost 3 months of playoff hockey where every game matter each of the last 2 years has been wearing on us as fans so I can't even imagine what it has been like for the players. I will never complain if they make the post season but if they miss this year I will be fine living off of the last 2 Cup runs.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Great58 wrote:I'd be fine with beating up some Rangers tonight, too.

Count me in! I could probably take Hank, Zuccarello or Desharnais, the other guys are kinda big.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,715
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:43 pm

As tonight's game nears, I'm not sure which is more surprising......that Rutherford hasn't made a trade, or that Rutherford still hasn't bothered to call up an extra forward in case of injury, since we only have 12 healthy forwards.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,609
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Great58 wrote:I'd be fine with beating up some Rangers tonight, too.


I hate all NY teams equally ;)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,433
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby brwi on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Last night I was a GTD and gutted it out. Tonight, it's looking more like healthy scratch.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,254
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby BurghThing on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:As tonight's game nears, I'm not sure which is more surprising......that Rutherford hasn't made a trade, or that Rutherford still hasn't bothered to call up an extra forward in case of injury, since we only have 12 healthy forwards.



Somebody mentioned calling up a Johnson from WBS
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,522
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: All You Can Eat Crow Tavern

Re: Game 42 vs Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:42 pm

BurghThing wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:As tonight's game nears, I'm not sure which is more surprising......that Rutherford hasn't made a trade, or that Rutherford still hasn't bothered to call up an extra forward in case of injury, since we only have 12 healthy forwards.



Somebody mentioned calling up a Johnson from WBS

I had mentioned here that, the night before the Carolina game, Dan Kingerski posted he had heard the Penguins were going to recall Johnson. But that never materialized the next day, and still hasn't happened. So, somebody comes down sick at the last minute, takes a puck to the head/knee/groin/etc in warmups, and they dress 7D I guess. Savings is minimal, so kind of odd that with Rust and Rowney out long term they haven't done a recall.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,609
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


cron
e-mail