Official GDT: Pens vs Canes 1/4/18 (Game 42)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Canes 1/4/18 (Game 42)

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 pm

KG wrote:Could argue that Botteril and Tocchet are the biggest losses in the off season.

I just don’t like Recchi as a coach and Guerin I don’t trust as an AGM for Jimmy

I don’t know, they aren’t doing well at all in their new jobs.

I think though what they did bring that was good is lacking severely though in their replacements and JR isntnin the ball this season although Sheahan and Oleksiak in a vacuum were good deals but so much another bad stuff outweighs it.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Bob wants us to become the Flyers out there and send messages to young, talented hockey players. Ugh.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:26 pm

We need to start a petition telling JR not to do anything rash. I fear what he will do tonight.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:27 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:We need to start a petition telling JR not to do anything rash. I fear what he will do tonight.

Throw something across a room maybe. I would
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby maopens on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:27 pm

It's like the team had a meeting in October and collectively decided to phone it in this season. There are games when I ask myself if Crosby is even playing tonight or is he injured.

Fatigue? Exhaustion? Complacency? Apathy? All of the above?

It's been a tough season to watch.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NJ5934 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:27 pm

I don't think we can catch em, let alone start a fight
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:27 pm

Maestro wrote:Malkin loves Miami.... Trocheck, their 1st, +, + at the draft....

I'd do it.

Not kidding, Malkin to Florida is something I have considered a few times this year, because he spends a lot of time down here in Miami, and I do think this is a place he would strongly consider waiving his NMC to come to FL.

Do something like Malkin and Sheary for Trocheck and Yandle and a pick. Move Letang and a pick to MTL for Paciorretty, Danualt, and Petry.

Pacioretty-Crosby-Sprong
Guentzel-Trocheck-Hornqvist
Rust-Danault-Kessel
Hagelin-Sheahan-Reaves/Kuhnhackl

Yandle-Schultz
Dumoulin-Petry
Maatta-Oleksiak

Just spitballing. Have no idea how those salaries would work out (think the Penguins would come out with some extra space), or really thought long and hard about how fair they are......but the Penguins are back to needing something big. With little assets, not sure how they do i
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Abe Frohman on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:27 pm

This isn't exactly unexpected. The Pens are gassed, they did not fill positions vacated by free agents, and the roster looks very stale.

1) I am hoping that Rutherford does not make any knee-jerk trades of young players to make a push to squeak into the playoffs. Play out the season, deal upcoming free agents, stockpile picks or youth.

2) MOVE Letang's contract and fragile body in the offseason.
Abe Frohman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NashvilleCat on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:28 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:The play of the core of this team with the exception of Kessel does not deserve to be rewarded with trades to improve the roster. Maybe GMJR is waiting for them to start playing before he makes a move.

They consistently, ALL SEASON, have not been able to put two good games together. They have a 3 game, a 4 game, and 3 2-game win streaks all season, and on several of those occassions, they have played sloppy and still managed to win.

I'll keep beating the narrative that nobody wants to hear......Crosby is a Penguin for life, but sometime soon, the Penguins need to consider unloading Malkin or Letang....maybe both. The core is all over 30, and the league is getting younger and faster. You wait another 3-5 years to move Malkin or Letang, in their mid-30's, they are going to have very little value. You move them now (now being in the next year or two), while they still have a good 4-6 years to be good players (not elite, but very good players), to a team loaded with young talent, and restock your system and get some very good, cheap, young talent in the lineup.

Otherwise, this team holds onto them too long, has huge contracts that can't be moved, has to watch the team miss the playoffs for several years to get some good draft picks, and hope that our below average scouting department can actually hit on some draft picks. It's too hard in this league to keep a team static for more than 2-3 years.

I'm a big Malkin fan. I was a big Fleury fan. But above all, I'm a Penguins fan. And I hate watching this teams top 2 stars look average and disinterested. But I'd hate to see even more to see it continue next season. You want to be able to keep the team an annual playoff team, not stay so loyal to your players that you won't trade them and let them pull you down.

I would trade everyone except Crosby before I would trade Malkin. Hopefully they both have their numbers raised together as life-long pens.

I don't think I'd move Geno either. Certainly not with Crosby playing the way he is right now. He's invisible. Geno is barely on the radar screen but he's there. I'd chalk this year up to fatigue or whatever and move as many parts as I don't expect back and anything of value not named Sid, Geno, or Phil. They need talented youth and have very little of it in the system.
Last edited by NashvilleCat on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pronovost19 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:28 pm

Penguins will have to eat a lot of contracts. going to be ugly for a long time after this year.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ejd43 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:28 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:We need to start a petition telling JR not to do anything rash. I fear what he will do tonight.

Throw something across a room maybe. I would

He sat on his hands this long. No reason to think that’s about to change now.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:29 pm

Permit to me to repeat a previous quote: This game wasn't as close as the score indicated.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:30 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:The play of the core of this team with the exception of Kessel does not deserve to be rewarded with trades to improve the roster. Maybe GMJR is waiting for them to start playing before he makes a move.

They consistently, ALL SEASON, have not been able to put two good games together. They have a 3 game, a 4 game, and 3 2-game win streaks all season, and on several of those occassions, they have played sloppy and still managed to win.

I'll keep beating the narrative that nobody wants to hear......Crosby is a Penguin for life, but sometime soon, the Penguins need to consider unloading Malkin or Letang....maybe both. The core is all over 30, and the league is getting younger and faster. You wait another 3-5 years to move Malkin or Letang, in their mid-30's, they are going to have very little value. You move them now (now being in the next year or two), while they still have a good 4-6 years to be good players (not elite, but very good players), to a team loaded with young talent, and restock your system and get some very good, cheap, young talent in the lineup.

Otherwise, this team holds onto them too long, has huge contracts that can't be moved, has to watch the team miss the playoffs for several years to get some good draft picks, and hope that our below average scouting department can actually hit on some draft picks. It's too hard in this league to keep a team static for more than 2-3 years.

I'm a big Malkin fan. I was a big Fleury fan. But above all, I'm a Penguins fan. And I hate watching this teams top 2 stars look average and disinterested. But I'd hate to see even more to see it continue next season. You want to be able to keep the team an annual playoff team, not stay so loyal to your players that you won't trade them and let them pull you down.

I would trade everyone except Crosby before I would trade Malkin. Hopefully they both have their numbers raised together as life-long pens.

I don't think I'd move Geno either. Certainly not with Crosby playing the way he is right now. He's invisible. Geno is barely on the radar screen but he's there. I'd chalk this year up to fatigue or whatever and move as many parts as I don't expect back and anything of value not named Sid, Geno, or Phil.

For me, Phil is still on the list. I love him, and we would not have won without him. BUT, if we could get some high value assets, and the salary cap reduction, I would consider it.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MyOldSchool on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:31 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Bob wants us to become the Flyers out there and send messages to young, talented hockey players. Ugh.

That was pissing me off...resort to caveman hockey....stupid
MyOldSchool

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:31 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

I'd do it.

Not kidding, Malkin to Florida is something I have considered a few times this year, because he spends a lot of time down here in Miami, and I do think this is a place he would strongly consider waiving his NMC to come to FL.

Do something like Malkin and Sheary for Trocheck and Yandle and a pick. Move Letang and a pick to MTL for Paciorretty, Danualt, and Petry.

Pacioretty-Crosby-Sprong
Rust-Danault-Kessel

Yandle-Schultz
Dumoulin-Petry
Maatta-Oleksiak

Just spitballing. Have no idea how those salaries would work out (think the Penguins would come out with some extra space), or really thought long and hard about how fair they are......but the Penguins are back to needing something big. With little assets, not sure how they do i

You just want to watch him more. No chance bud.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:32 pm

dey say they care but they don't.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:41 pm

They weren't winning a ton early in the season either, but at least the games were entertaining then. Ugh.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby scpensfan on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:42 pm

There are plenty of folks not getting the job done, but this is 87’s team. And four points in 10 games (and only 1 at ES) is a killer.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Catfishcol87 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 pm

What the heck going on with Crosby & Malkin?
Catfishcol87

Postby Maestro on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:29 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

I'd do it.

Pacioretty-Crosby-Sprong
Rust-Danault-Kessel

Yandle-Schultz
Dumoulin-Petry
Maatta-Oleksiak

I think Malkin would be willing to go to the cats. 2 1sts, Trochek and a young dman would work for me.

Conversely, if they move Letang - get Nugent Hopkins and a rh dman back. I'd do that.

Don't see both being moved.
Patches will be ufa after next year right? So, not sure trading for a winger who will be pushing 30 likely wanting 6mil/min is something I'd do.

If Crosby and Malkin have shown me anything over their careers it is they play a heck of a lot better with a #2 style center on the 3rd line.
I like the 2 great, 2 really good center strategy.
They do not have that this year.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
BurghThing wrote:
NJ Penguins Fan wrote:Time to go shovel from the big east coast storm. Hopefully they play better vs the Isles tomorrow.

They could hardly play worse.

"hold my beer"
- Penguins

"How was that"
- Penguins

More like "pull my finger". :face:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:20 am

As I have said from the get -go, I miss my Flower security blanket~ all starts in goal.

It's time for the captain to explain what's going on with his game.
So predictable, so sad that folks throw Evgeni away.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins