JR - Please do not give up our 1st round pick.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

JR - Please do not give up our 1st round pick.

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:58 pm

That is all. Thanks.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: JR - Please do not give up our 1st round pick.

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Dude we need a supporting cast. We still have a pretty good core who looks like lost puppies right now. If a first can fill one of those gaps you do it. At this point I'm just trying to get to the playoffs to try for a threepeat. Can't try if you don't make it. Right now I'd be looking for a guy that tries to steal Crosby or malkins girls. Maybe that will make them mad and start playing like they care. Things don't look good but maybe Kris Letang asked Santa for a brain for Christmas. If Santa grants that wish, brighter days may be ahead.
THEREALpittsburghpenguins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:11 pm

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:Dude we need a supporting cast. We still have a pretty good core who looks like lost puppies right now. If a first can fill one of those gaps you do it. At this point I'm just trying to get to the playoffs to try for a threepeat. Can't try if you don't make it. Right now I'd be looking for a guy that tries to steal Crosby or malkins girls. Maybe that will make them mad and start playing like they care. Things don't look good but maybe Kris Letang asked Santa for a brain for Christmas. If Santa grants that wish, brighter days may be ahead.

Even Santa can't make that Christmas miracle happen.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby THEREALpittsburghpenguins on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:11 pm

I've seen Christmas movies that say otherwise
THEREALpittsburghpenguins
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:13 pm

THEREALpittsburghpenguins wrote:I've seen Christmas movies that say otherwise

You know what they say about wishing in one hand and...

My money is on the dirty hand.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:00 pm

First rounds picks are always a good thing to keep looking to the futur

They also can be a grest thing to use to get assets you need for a cup run.

Do you want to go after a cup or do you want to build for the future. The hard reality is after sid and geno retire we are going to go into a rebuild. We are going for cups for the next few years.

Do you w
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:03 pm

We could very easily miss the playoffs this year. We should keep this pick. If we can not win enough games with Sid and Geno and Phill to make the playoffs this season then C'est la vie
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:10 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:We could very easily miss the playoffs this year. We should keep this pick. If we can not win enough games with Sid and Geno and Phill to make the playoffs this season then C'est la vie

I don't have a problem trading the 1st round pick, or Sprong, if it is for a young asset under team control.....ideally 25 or younger with 3 plus years left on a favorable contract, or RFA status.

I do not want to see Sprong or a 1st given up for anybody that would be a pure rental player.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:15 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:We could very easily miss the playoffs this year. We should keep this pick. If we can not win enough games with Sid and Geno and Phill to make the playoffs this season then C'est la vie

I don't have a problem trading the 1st round pick, or Sprong, if it is for a young asset under team control.....ideally 25 or younger with 3 plus years left on a favorable contract, or RFA status.

I do not want to see Sprong or a 1st given up for anybody that would be a pure rental player.

I was just about to post the same thing. Trade the 1st all you want, as long as it's not for a rental.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:56 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

Trade that 1st rounder, as long as the return is worth it.

Don't trade Sprong. I love how my favourite hockey team and my country's only active NHL player are combined. I'd be forced to start supporting whatever team he's moved to as well.

Also, Pens haven't made much out of their farm this year.
- They called up Simon, who looked like he could work with Crosby, then scratched him after 5 games.
- Murray's injury and Niemi leaking forced callups for Jarry and DeSmith. They don't get NHL starts unless Murray is dead. TJ got 11, CD 2.
- Injuries got callups for Corrado and Trotman. Sum total 4 games.

That's a total of 22 games for our guys coming up. Compare that to the 26 games McKegg accumulated, a center sent down because he was deemed worse at his trade than Rowney.

But will they call up people from Wilkes-Barre? Nope. And if they are, they're getting nacho duty next to Cole or Hunwick. We do need to infuse some of those people when 2017 turns to 18. Get that energy going. If there's no room, make room. Doesn't have to be Sprong (frantically waves dutch flag to indicate his preference) but get someone. Dea, Haggerty, Blueger, Czuczman..
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:40 pm

I think the inaction from JR over the past 3 weeks when everyone thought he would make a move speaks volumes about his feelings about the team. Hopefully he realizes like most of us that no single trade is going to improve this team to the point of becoming a playoff contender. He hopefully sees that keeping his younger players and draft assets is the good play here and hopefully we acquire a few more at the deadline.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:44 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I think the inaction from JR over the past 3 weeks when everyone thought he would make a move speaks volumes about his feelings about the team. Hopefully he realizes like most of us that no single trade is going to improve this team to the point of becoming a playoff contender. He hopefully sees that keeping his younger players and draft assets is the good play here and hopefully we acquire a few more at the deadline.

Sorry, that's just not the way JR, or even Mario work. I do not see them selling anything this season. They will try to fix it.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby maopens on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Dear GMJR:

Thanks for the past 2 seasons and the consecutive Cups. That was a lot of fun.

I wish you would have let us know during the pre-season that the team was going to phone it in this season. It would have saved me a lot of time, money and unrealistic expectations. Could you let me know if, and when, the boys intend to put up some effort so I might tune in and catch an actual game again? Thanks, bro.

Sincerely,
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:38 pm

There are a lot of bad teams out there, but I feel fairly confident that if we can just keep icing the same team we have been over the past few months we will quickly gain ground and be within striking distance of the coyotes.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:14 pm

I just hope if he does trade it, there's a clause in there to defer it if things don't improve and they don't make the playoffs. Missing out would suck bad enough; missing AND not having a 1st would be terrible.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:33 am

For years the directive from ownership was, "win now". So JR mortgaged the future to win cups now. I just don't think anyone thought the future was going to come so fast. There is no one to call up. No exciting next prospect. We gave them all away including, inexplicably, a 1st rounder for a 4th liner.

In a time when everyone agrees and publicly states over and over that the younger players are more NHL ready at 18-19 than at any point in the history of the NHL, we decided to pass on nearly all of them.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39 am

well the win-now mentality won us 2 cups the past two years, so it was the correct way to go. But now that it appears we are not going to make the playoffs, we most definitely should look to regain as many assets as possible for players that are not part of the future. I do not necessarily agree with who the Penguins do not feel are part of the future (Hornqvist/Cole) but if there is not intention of re-signing them, then we need to get assets for them. Plain and simple.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:36 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:well the win-now mentality won us 2 cups the past two years, so it was the correct way to go. But now that it appears we are not going to make the playoffs, we most definitely should look to regain as many assets as possible for players that are not part of the future. I do not necessarily agree with who the Penguins do not feel are part of the future (Hornqvist/Cole) but if there is not intention of re-signing them, then we need to get assets for them. Plain and simple.

Actually, IF we miss the playoffs we have a greater chance to have Hörnqvist back next year, since we then can trade him to a playoff team, get assets, and then resign him in the summer as a FA.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:43 pm

pekkasteele wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:well the win-now mentality won us 2 cups the past two years, so it was the correct way to go. But now that it appears we are not going to make the playoffs, we most definitely should look to regain as many assets as possible for players that are not part of the future. I do not necessarily agree with who the Penguins do not feel are part of the future (Hornqvist/Cole) but if there is not intention of re-signing them, then we need to get assets for them. Plain and simple.

Actually, IF we miss the playoffs we have a greater chance to have Hörnqvist back next year, since we then can trade him to a playoff team, get assets, and then resign him in the summer as a FA.

How does that give us a "greater" chance?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:37 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:

How does that give us a "greater" chance?

If we sign him now and trade him at the deadline, we cant resign him in the summer, but I see now that I maybe did not explain enough what I was thinking. My thought was, IF we will miss the playoff, and JR will try to get som assets for a rebuild/restock or prospects, we should trade Hörnqvist since he will be one of the most sought after players at the deadline, but if we have signed him and trades him, he is lost (probably) but if we trade him without signing him, we can then, easier get him back in the summer.

But of course, if we sign him now and don't trade him, we will have him. But I don't think JR will do that since he usually lets the UFAs try FA first.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:59 pm

JR's not made a trade yet. I think you might have to rescind this request... otherwise no Jimmy trade ;)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Does anyone else, when they see this thread title, think of “Please Hammer, Don’t Hurt ‘Em”?
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins