Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

letang

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: letang

Postby Daniel on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:57 pm

pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Matt Gajtka of DK Sports said in his talks with an industry source, Letang is most definitely being shopped:

As has been reported in Canada over the past few days, the Penguins have been engaged in trade discussions regarding Kris Letang.

I’ve been told by an industry source that Letang is “definitely” available for interested teams to pursue, confirming what Elliotte Friedman and Nick Kypreos have stated on recent Sportsnet broadcasts. The NHL’s weeklong holiday trade freeze expired at 12:01 a.m. Thursday.

Being engaged in trade discussions is a long putt from being able to put together a deal that works for the Pens long term both from a talent and cap perspective.

It's also a long way from being able to put together a deal when the player to be traded is on IR.

https://www.tsn.ca/penguins-place-letan ... e-1.954439
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Daniel wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Matt Gajtka of DK Sports said in his talks with an industry source, Letang is most definitely being shopped:

As has been reported in Canada over the past few days, the Penguins have been engaged in trade discussions regarding Kris Letang.

I’ve been told by an industry source that Letang is “definitely” available for interested teams to pursue, confirming what Elliotte Friedman and Nick Kypreos have stated on recent Sportsnet broadcasts. The NHL’s weeklong holiday trade freeze expired at 12:01 a.m. Thursday.

Being engaged in trade discussions is a long putt from being able to put together a deal that works for the Pens long term both from a talent and cap perspective.

It's also a long way from being able to put together a deal when the player to be traded is on IR.

https://www.tsn.ca/penguins-place-letan ... e-1.954439

Mackey says the Penguins aren't shopping Letang, contrary to what several other local and Canadian sources are reporting.

Since I don't subscribe to the Athletic at the moment, and DK's hockey reporters are crap, Mackey is my go to guy. i know both Mackey and Yohe have good relationship with Rutherford, and both talk to him somewhat regularly. Mackey went as far last week to reach out to Letang's camp, and basically said if the Penguins were shopping him, the team has yet to reach out to his agents to express this or request a list of teams.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2017/12/29/kris-letang-injury-penguins-trade-rumors-nhl/stories/201712290155
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Maestro on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Yohe tweeted today they are Not shopping Letang.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:24 pm

Until he's moved.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:36 pm

If they're not at least looking into options with him they're fools.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:37 pm

Antonio wrote:Until he's moved.

Until someone comes to you with a haul. No way we are shopping. Hearing offers... perhaps. You can't sell a guy like Letang for enough.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:23 pm

I have no problem with keeping Letang, but, if this team needs a major shakeup, I can't see how that is accomplished without moving one of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Kessel. Crosby ain't going nowhere. Kessel is having his best season as a Penguin, production wise and all-around. That leaves Malkin and Letang.

I fail to see how Cole, Hagelin, maybe Sheary, Sprong, maybe Jarry, our 1st rounder, or other picks is going to be enough to get a quality 3C and a top 6 LW. That's the only real assets Rutherford has, unless he moves someone like Hornqvist, Guentzel, or Maatta.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Antonio on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Discussion of moving kessel is beyond idiotic. You don't move a guy who is on pace for 80 points on a team desperate for offense, particularly when he makes 6m a year. A steal all around. You need more kessel not less. Letang on the other hand should be moved, especially if you can get a fraction of what many people argue his supposed inestimable value is.

Maatta I must say has improved enough to make him worth keeping, and considering I said I wanted him deported last year... that's saying something. I would move sheary in a heartbeat also if I could. My preferences would be letang first, then sheary, and after that...I don't want to see anyone else moved but obviously to make a real impact, I could be ok with it.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Antonio wrote:Discussion of moving kessel is beyond idiotic. You don't move a guy who is on pace for 80 points on a team desperate for offense, particularly when he makes 6m a year. A steal all around. You need more kessel not less. Letang on the other hand should be moved, especially if you can get a fraction of what many people argue his supposed inestimable value is.

Maatta I must say has improved enough to make him worth keeping, and considering I said I wanted him deported last year... that's saying something. I would move sheary in a heartbeat also if I could. My preferences would be letang first, then sheary, and after that...I don't want to see anyone else moved but obviously to make a real impact, I could be ok with it.

Not sure if someone else in the last page or two mentioned moving Kessel. I sure did not in my post above, for all the reasons you state.

Maatta should really be part of the new core. That's Rutherford's next task....instead of saying Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Murray are the core.....he needs to start getting the core a little younger. Swapping Fleury for Murray was a start. Moving Letang and/or Malkin is going to be necessary in the next few years, before they hit the downside of their careers and can't be moved. Otherwise, you'll be left with an old, umovable core and not enough quality pieces in WBS to keep the team competitive.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Antonio on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Yeah I realized it sounded like I meant you...I was referring to some other places and people... not here on this board.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:38 am

In case you goofs still don't get the picture:
Josh Yohe
‏Verified account @JoshYohe_PGH
11h11 hours ago

Spoke with a number of people in the organization today. There are currently zero intentions of trading Kris Letang.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:53 am

Pitts wrote:In case you goofs still don't get the picture:
Josh Yohe
11h11 hours ago

Spoke with a number of people in the organization today. There are currently zero intentions of trading Kris Letang.

Considering how this season is going, this organization would be crazy not to explore what kind of return they could obtain with a Letang trade. It is possible that the market isn't extremely high on obtaining a defensemen who is playing like crap this season, has a significant injury history, and who is owed a significant amount of money on his contract. Translation from the organization: Letang is not being shopped.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:24 am

Then this team has it's head lodged really far up it's backside. Letang can go golfing with the rest of the team come playoff time.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:46 am

Maestro wrote:Yohe tweeted today they are Not shopping Letang.

It seems there's too much smoke. GMJR isn't the kind of guy that's going to come out and say we're shopping him. He's going to do things on the down low. If he gets an offer he likes, he'll approach Letang and tell him what's up.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:31 am

pens_CT wrote:
Josh Yohe
11h11 hours ago

Considering how this season is going, this organization would be crazy not to explore what kind of return they could obtain with a Letang trade. It is possible that the market isn't extremely high on obtaining a defensemen who is playing like crap this season, has a significant injury history, and who is owed a significant amount of money on his contract. Translation from the organization: Letang is not being shopped.

Spin it any way you want. I've felt from the beginning they will not trade him. Contrary to what everyone thinks, Sullivan doesn't play him 25 minutes a night for nothing. Yeah, he's having a rough go, but there still isn't a defenseman on this team that can handle what he does. In fact, there really aren't many in the league - I'd say top 20.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Pitts wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Josh Yohe
11h11 hours ago

Spin it any way you want. I've felt from the beginning they will not trade him. Contrary to what everyone thinks, Sullivan doesn't play him 25 minutes a night for nothing. Yeah, he's having a rough go, but there still isn't a defenseman on this team that can handle what he does. In fact, there really aren't many in the league - I'd say top 20.

Schultz is better on the PP than Letang, and doesn’t have the typical brain farts that 58 has ever since he entered the league. He is being paid like he is a top 5 defender in the league but he certainly isn’t playing like it. Other teams realize his liabilities and they currently outweigh his benefits. Therefore unless GMJR wants a salary dump then 58 most likely stays.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:24 pm

Per nhl.com, Letang has 14 power play points, putting him 14th in the league and 2nd among defensemen. The Pens are converting 24.8% of their power play chances, good for 3rd in the league.

There are legit criticisms to make about Letang's season (consistency, especially as it relates to defensive awareness), but power play performance isn't one of them. He's been fine in that regard.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:42 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Pitts wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
Josh Yohe
11h11 hours ago

Schultz is better on the PP than Letang, and doesn’t have the typical brain farts that 58 has ever since he entered the league. He is being paid like he is a top 5 defender in the league but he certainly isn’t playing like it. Other teams realize his liabilities and they currently outweigh his benefits. Therefore unless GMJR wants a salary dump then 58 most likely stays.

I think you're right on the money.

Schultz would in theory be worse defensively than Letang on the PP and elsewhere. But not while Letang is schizophrenic between being 2015 Letang and 2015 Scuderi. If Schultz were to play top PP more, you'd see an increase in his stats there, eating up a lot of Letang's points.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:21 am

From Jason Mackey's 20 thoughts this morning:

Rutherford was not pleased at all with the talk of a potential Kris Letang trade circulating.
I can tell you that last Thursday, when rumors really heated up, Rutherford called Letang’s agent, Kent Hughes, simply to make sure everything was cool between the player and team.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ville5 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:29 am

FLPensFan wrote:From Jason Mackey's 20 thoughts this morning:

Rutherford was not pleased at all with the talk of a potential Kris Letang trade circulating.
I can tell you that last Thursday, when rumors really heated up, Rutherford called Letang’s agent, Kent Hughes, simply to make sure everything was cool between the player and team.

Kristopher sounds like he might be a sensitive individual. Seems odd the GM would feel the need to call a player to dispel something that is an everyday part of the job. Every player hears rumors all the time. No big deal.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby interstorm on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:44 am

ville5 wrote:Seems odd the GM would feel the need to call a player to dispel something that is an everyday part of the job

It is the little things in life, such as this, that build a lot of respect in a person. GMJR is a person a lot of people in the industry respect a great deal. He's earned it by treating players like the human beings they are...even if he doesn't have to.

That's something we could all keep in mind when trying to get respect from others. Be mindful of the little things...
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:10 pm

interstorm wrote:
ville5 wrote:Seems odd the GM would feel the need to call a player to dispel something that is an everyday part of the job

It is the little things in life, such as this, that build a lot of respect in a person. GMJR is a person a lot of people in the industry respect a great deal. He's earned it by treating players like the human beings they are...even if he doesn't have to.

That's something we could all keep in mind when trying to get respect from others. Be mindful of the little things...

When you are considered a core part of the team, and have a no movement clause, I think it is a pretty normal procedure for a GM to communicate with an agent to dispel rumors. I see nothing out of the ordinary here.

Look at Montreal. You have Pacioretty, the team captain, lighting up the trade rumors. You don't see Bergevin out there denying that he is on the block. That type of stuff can affect players on the ice, especially the superstars that aren't expecting to be dealt.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:35 pm

GM conversations with agents is part of their routine job. You don't even need to be in the core to have that respect paid to you as I understand it. But I imagine this was a bit more urgent than routine, though. I assume he was denying the reports of the Pens shopping Kris, and not seeking an updated no-trade list.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:24 pm

ville5 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:From Jason Mackey's 20 thoughts this morning:

Kristopher sounds like he might be a sensitive individual. Seems odd the GM would feel the need to call a player to dispel something that is an everyday part of the job. Every player hears rumors all the time. No big deal.

Not sure where you get that perspective - it was Rutherford who was worked up. They said nothing about Letang's feeling being hurt.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 pm

What do people think that GMs do? What do people think that agents do? Why would it be a surprise, or warning sign, or anything of that sort what so ever, if they talk to one another?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins