letang

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

letang

Postby battleship kelly on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:51 pm

I hope he is traded, he turns the puck over 5 or 6 times a game, probably wait until Shultz gets back.
Crosby and Malkin going through the motions, not leading
Rust, Guentzal, Sheary should be producing more, no excuses.
no third line center at all.
no toughness on d, maybe that trade will help with this, ruwedel and hunwick are sub par.
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: letang

Postby Badamski9 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:03 pm

I’ve been one of Letang’s biggest fans, but he’s been terrible. It really may be time for him to go, but only for the right price. Could see him being happy to go to Montreal, maybe we can get Pacioretty or Galchenyuk and a Dman back.
Badamski9

Postby no name on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:49 am

Letang was good in the 16 cup run, played big minutes and was a good player on the ice as a solid 2 way player but he wasn't like a force out there. Without a doubt the highest level he played. Of course last year we won without him. I could think of a few players in the league who could take his spot and we would not miss him. I think right now if Letang was traded I wouldn't miss him. If we could get a top 4 defenseman and a 3c in return I would be happy.

I have never seen Kris play his bad ever.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:16 pm

He is not going to be traded ....
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:40 pm

I wanted letang gone before they signed him to that absurd contract, but at least he played fairly well overall then, and it was just the value I didn't care for. I love how everyone now says that letang is terrible garbage but they think he could or should net a 3c, a top 4 d, 4 4th liners, 2 top 6 wings and an assistant gm. How would anyone pay these prices for letang if he is so horrible? Now, I think he is terrible but I just don't expect he would net an incredible return.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:54 pm

You just can't have a $7.25 million per year defenseman that is incapable of QBing a successful PP. Letang is incapable at least consistently. The Ole 29er practically loses his mind when he's out there with the top unit. I know Schultz is hurt but geez. Other teams know he's no threat to fire a bomb so they just don't defend him and it's like a 4 on 4. Way too many passes and when he does SHOOT it's 9 out of 10 blocked or 10 feet wide. The Avs should've had 4 shorties the other night. Yes the Pens are near the top of the league right now but the numbers since Schultz is out aren't that stellar.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Antonio wrote: How would anyone pay these prices for letang if he is so horrible? Now, I think he is terrible but I just don't expect he would net an incredible return.

And you are completely and utterly wrong. Look, we can think what we want, but if you listen to anyone involved with hockey they all believe he is a top 2 defenseman in this league.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Pitts wrote:
Antonio wrote: How would anyone pay these prices for letang if he is so horrible? Now, I think he is terrible but I just don't expect he would net an incredible return.

And you are completely and utterly wrong. Look, we can think what we want, but if you listen to anyone involved with hockey they all believe he is a top 2 defenseman in this league.

If you're talking skill level, I don't think anyone would argue that maybe 1 or 2 defensemen are better than him. I think the problem is the mental and emotional side of his game.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Daniel wrote:
Pitts wrote:

If you're talking skill level, I don't think anyone would argue that maybe 1 or 2 defensemen are better than him. I think the problem is the mental and emotional side of his game.

I understand all that, but I have still not heard any criticism of him in that manner from any real hockey person, be it coach, GM, owner or player. The only thing they ever question is his ability to stay healthy.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:20 pm

Pitts wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I understand all that, but I have still not heard any criticism of him in that manner from any real hockey person, be it coach, GM, owner or player. The only thing they ever question is his ability to stay healthy.

In all fairness, do you hear a lot of "he's talented, but a meathead" about many athletes? With Letang and his fluky injuries, it might almost be viewed as mean.

It's almost like he needs to go down to a 2nd pairing slot and just not have the workload, maybe he won't try and do too much with 18-20 minutes per game. I think he is what he is, someone with top 3 defensemen skill and Nuke LaLoosh (from Bull Durham) otherwise.

I'd love for him to put it all together, but I kinda think he needs a change of scenery. He seems to be trending towards becoming Mike Green.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Yeah to be fair, just because no one on tv or radio actually says "he's a total dip****" doesn't mean they don't think it.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:29 am

Pitts wrote:He is not going to be traded ....

Probably not. But if the Pens offered Letang for Karlsson would Ottawa even think about making that trade? They aren't in rebuild mode but know they can't keep Karlsson long term.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:33 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

Probably not. But if the Pens offered Letang for Karlsson would Ottawa even think about making that trade? They aren't in rebuild mode but know they can't keep Karlsson long term.

Why can't they keep him long term? Karlsson is a pipe dream. Even the Pens traded for him, they couldn't afford the $10-11 cap hit it would take to re-sign him.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 am

wondermoose wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Why can't they keep him long term? Karlsson is a pipe dream. Even the Pens traded for him, they couldn't afford the $10-11 cap hit it would take to re-sign him.

Agreed but you'd have a chance to sign Ekman-Larsson who I'd rather have than Karlsson.

Ottawa isn't going to be able to afford Karlsson at that price either. If they do they won't have $ to build around him.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:22 am

thehockeyguru wrote:

If the Pens put Letang on the market, you'd have about 25 offers right off the bat.

Teams that don't need/have a Letang: Chicago, Nashville, Florida, LA ... That's about it. (off top of my head)

(even though NYR have Shattenkirik, they would still want Letang because they love shiny big names)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Checked out ESPN stats. Letang shooting % of shots he gets on goal is 1.9%. Among defensemen, he is in 170TH PLACE.

And the tv guys were raving about all his shot attempts last game.
Southern Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Checked out ESPN stats. Letang shooting % of shots he gets on goal is 1.9%. Among defensemen, he is in 170TH PLACE.

Well, he's well off his career average of about 5.5%, so with more shots should come more goals. He's been blocked or shot wide on 50% of his attempts, though (although wide shots COULD be intentional, at times.
If it makes you feel any better, Seabrook makes $6.875 Million and is shooting 1.6% and has half of Letang's point production?
Letang was playing his best hockey of his career during the Cup run of '16, and playing well until he got injured last year (IIRC). I'll give him more than a third of the season to come back from serious neck surgery before I give up on him.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Pitts wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

If the Pens put Letang on the market, you'd have about 25 offers right off the bat.

Teams that don't need/have a Letang: Chicago, Nashville, Florida, LA ... That's about it. (off top of my head)

(even though NYR have Shattenkirik, they would still want Letang because they love shiny big names)

Honestly, I think most teams wouldn't want Letang. Cap reasons, rebuilding, have a top defensemen, etc. I'd say maybe 3 or 4 teams would want him, if that many. Look at what teams have the space, what teams are rebuilding (do you honestly think Arizona or Vancouver would want him?), teams that either have good defensive depth or a number one defensemen wouldn't want him.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Great58 wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Checked out ESPN stats. Letang shooting % of shots he gets on goal is 1.9%. Among defensemen, he is in 170TH PLACE.

Well, he's well off his career average of about 5.5%, so with more shots should come more goals. He's been blocked or shot wide on 50% of his attempts, though (although wide shots COULD be intentional, at times.
If it makes you feel any better, Seabrook makes $6.875 Million and is shooting 1.6% and has half of Letang's point production?
Letang was playing his best hockey of his career during the Cup run of '16, and playing well until he got injured last year (IIRC). I'll give him more than a third of the season to come back from serious neck surgery before I give up on him.

Saw that. Seabrook and two other defensemen have scored goals with worse percentages. Didn't look at all the defensemen with 0 %.

If you include forwards, his % is 585th.
Southern Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:17 pm

That's exactly what I posted above. He's no threat. Hence other teams PK don't really defend him so we're left with a 4 on 4 for all intents and purposes. I thought for sure Gonchar could fix him. If he can't, nobody can. Healing vibes to #4.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Daniel wrote:
Pitts wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Honestly, I think most teams wouldn't want Letang. Cap reasons, rebuilding, have a top defensemen, etc. I'd say maybe 3 or 4 teams would want him, if that many. Look at what teams have the space, what teams are rebuilding (do you honestly think Arizona or Vancouver would want him?), teams that either have good defensive depth or a number one defensemen wouldn't want him.

Completely agree. You can count on one hand the teams who would want Letang for that dollar amount and term. It's an awful contract.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:17 am

Southern Fan wrote:
Great58 wrote:

Saw that. Seabrook and two other defensemen have scored goals with worse percentages. Didn't look at all the defensemen with 0 %.

If you include forwards, his % is 585th.

But why do we care what his shooting percentage is? The six more goals would be nice if he were at 7%, but he’s what, third in points for defencemen right now? His offensive contribution isn’t the major concern.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:14 pm

You care because when teams know he is zero threat from the shot, it changes the dynamic of power plays and the killing. If they had to actually worry about a shot, it would alter everything.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:36 pm

Antonio wrote:You care because when teams know he is zero threat from the shot, it changes the dynamic of power plays and the killing. If they had to actually worry about a shot, it would alter everything.

Until Schultz is back, give Oleksiak a few looks on the PP?
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:43 pm

Not to mention...6 more goals right now might have gotten us 2 or 4 or hell even 6 more points possibly. :)
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins