Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Cut the Cord - Streaming Pens Games

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Cut the Cord - Streaming Pens Games

Postby johnnews on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:04 am

I've cut the cord and am now streaming (Hulu Live TV). I know I'll get all the NBC/NBCSN games through Hulu. I live outside the Pitt market, so I used to subscribe to NHL Center Ice for the Pens non-network games.
Those of you streaming, what are you using if you're out of market? NHL TV?

Side note - streaming is awesome. I have so much content, my head is ready to explode. I'm saving $170 a month having dumped DirecTV. The one thing I will miss is I had ROOT Sports as part of my package. So, I'd get the pre-game/post-game shows. But, I can live without that.

Thanks for your answers/advice in advance.

Let's go Pens!!
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Cut the Cord - Streaming Pens Games

Postby Maestro on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Yes, NHL TV.

I have a pretty sophisticated streaming set-up and I'd say unless you want to use reddit hockey streams that have pop-ups, bad vid quality, and horrific buffering, it's the only way to go.

Canadian games have up to six different camera angles and you can even have all cams up at once in a matrix.

I found that streaming on my PS3 was not ideal. PS4 is. Fire TV is.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rohit on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Maestro wrote:Yes, NHL TV.

I have a pretty sophisticated streaming set-up and I'd say unless you want to use reddit hockey streams that have pop-ups, bad vid quality, and horrific buffering, it's the only way to go.

Canadian games have up to six different camera angles and you can even have all cams up at once in a matrix.

How do you stream NHL TV on the fire, I thought that was the one device that didn't carry the NHL tv app. I have a fire so would appreciate help on this!
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Rohit wrote:

How do you stream NHL TV on the fire, I thought that was the one device that didn't carry the NHL tv app. I have a fire so would appreciate help on this!

You can download the made in Canada add on in kodi. You can get a game in every league from CHL to NHL.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:
Rohit wrote:

You can download the made in Canada add on in kodi. You can get a game in every league from CHL to NHL.

Was just going to post this. Being able to watch the AHL team as well as all the prospects is a great thing. Plus, then people aren't making all these blind opinions on players and saying they're ready when they haven't even seen them play. lol
Owchar76
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stevens25 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:42 am

If you know what you are doing, the Reddit streams are very good - Especially for Penguins Games.
Between VLC and Ace Media player streams, and the occasional YouTube stream, I watch probably 95% HD streams with very few interruptions.
There are also a number of private facebook groups that can be hard to track down, but offer HD Youtube streams of a lot of games throughout the year.

If you cut the cord, i can't tell you how much you will hate the NHL app. I assume 20-30 penguins games will be televised, which means they are blacked out on the NHL website/App. It's a broken service, and every year this issue comes up on this board. My advice - stay away, they don't deserve your money.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby E-Ramone on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:40 am

Stevens25 wrote:If you know what you are doing, the Reddit streams are very good - Especially for Penguins Games.
Between VLC and Ace Media player streams, and the occasional YouTube stream, I watch probably 95% HD streams with very few interruptions.
There are also a number of private facebook groups that can be hard to track down, but offer HD Youtube streams of a lot of games throughout the year.

If you cut the cord, i can't tell you how much you will hate the NHL app. I assume 20-30 penguins games will be televised, which means they are blacked out on the NHL website/App. It's a broken service, and every year this issue comes up on this board. My advice - stay away, they don't deserve your money.

Thanks for the heads up on the NHL TV thing. I was really considering dropping cable, but I do remember seeing a lot of complaints about blacked out Pens games during the season.
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Maestro on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Yep, Fire TV - Kodi

But yeah, last season was awful in terms of balckouts - many of which occurred within an hour of gametime - but I just used a VPN which you can get for free now on chrome or Opera - hook my laptop to TV via hdmi and there it is. - Had to use different speakers - but I still have a set of Logitech Z-2300s so, still top notch only 2.1 instead of a remixed 7.1
Of course by far the #1 streaming service right now is Sling - which already has NHLN available for its subscribers. I have PS Vue, so for now I'm out of luck, although I imagine that may change within a month or so.

But obviously there are options. I prefer consistent uninterrupted HD quality and am willing to pay $139 over 4 payments for it, but everyone is in a different situation. If you can get that level of quality for free online - kudos to you - I've never been impressed with any of the online streams personally. I tried for a fight recently, found a working one by RD 4 and the buffering was comical - but the promoters had gone hard on preventing/stopping all streams for that particular event.
- And don't even get me started on the audio of that stuff.

With that said - I do agree the buffering for NHL is typically minimal - but the specifics to an algorithm of expense + time/convenience + quality changes according to the ongoing interpretations of the person computing the equation.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:17 pm

Fire tv > kodi > pro sport > NHLStreams subreddit

I have directv and would GLADLY PAY $100 for att sportsnet. Gladly. I know I am not in a minority. I hate that they can't figure it out.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby DelPen on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:09 am

The only unshady way is NHL.TV and then a package that has NBC SN, NHL Network and then your local RSN if they have a team.

DIRECTV Now would do it for me but I'll take a shady route using cable logins for NBC and Fox sports for Canes games. Just need a way to cover NHL Network but hoping they add access to the NHL. TV app through provider logon.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Is Root Sports Pittsburgh only available via cable provider? Or could I pick them up with a digital TV antenna?
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:31 am

Cable provider, they do not broadcast over the airways.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:05 am

BurghThing wrote:Cable provider, they do not broadcast over the airways.

Thanks man. That's what my investigation found, but I was hoping I was wrong. :(
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:00 pm

Subscribe to NHL.tv

For nationally televised games, get the Mobdro app for your smartphone and just cast it to your smart TV.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins