Okay, now comes the real question

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Okay, now comes the real question

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:19 am

Three-peat.

I was pretty optimistic about the prospect of repeating after 2016. I say optimistic, but down deep I was also realistic. After all it hadn't been done in 19 years, But now this new charge has been put upon the team by Sullivan. And I kinda half expected him to say it at the parade after back-to-back. But when he said it I thought to myself that that might be a little like "Well, here's hoping". Can this really be done in this day and age? What say you Pens fans?

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,294
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby penny lane on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:42 am

Time to wake up ! With Mike Sullivan, all things possible. He will have to manage the minutes of Sid, Evgeni, Phil, MATT Murray during the regular season. Luck and health, gotta have those too. Kessel will need to score goals in bunches . Daniel Sprong will be exciting to watch . Olympics will not tire stars in 18! 3 peat for the pens- let's go!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,585
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: 3 peat, yeah I said it!

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:56 am

penny lane wrote:Time to wake up ! With Mike Sullivan, all things possible. He will have to manage the minutes of Sid, Evgeni, Phil, MATT Murray during the regular season. Luck and health, gotta have those too. Kessel will need to score goals in bunches . Daniel Sprong will be exciting to watch . Olympics will not tire stars in 18! 3 peat for the pens- let's go!


It's going to be hard to manage the minutes of Sid and Geno with the Centre depth they have right now. This isn't on Sullivan, it's on Rutherford. We also have no idea if Sprong is making this team, especially with the log jam at RW. Unless someone is moving to LW or someone is dealt, it makes it difficult. Many want to see him go the Guentzel route and I don't think it would be a horrible thing.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,041
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Oh, I absolutely have confidence in the things Sullivan and Rutherford can accomplish...why wouldn't anyone really, until proven otherwise. But as of this date we still have unanswered questions at the center position after Crosby & Malkin. We need some proven, competent players at those slots. More than just bodies to occupy them. That is for Rutherford to accomplish. But even if those questions are answered there is always luck involved. Truth is Pens were 1 shot away from not moving past the ECF. Except that the Pens got that one shot to move into the SCF. The hockey gods were on our side that night. :thumb: But in any case a three-peat is a tall order. But yea, we have 2/3 of that order accomplished.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,294
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Oh, I absolutely have confidence in the things Sullivan and Rutherford can accomplish...why wouldn't anyone really, until proven otherwise. But as of this date we still have unanswered questions at the center position after Crosby & Malkin. We need some proven, competent players at those slots. More than just bodies to occupy them. That is for Rutherford to accomplish. But even if those questions are answered there is always luck involved. Truth is Pens were 1 shot away from not moving past the ECF. Except that the Pens got that one shot to move into the SCF. The hockey gods were on our side that night. :thumb: But in any case a three-peat is a tall order. But yea, we have 2/3 of that order accomplished.

BEPF

Three is not the number to worry about, there is only 'One' to be considered. We've won two SC and our statistical chance to win it this year is lower than last year (by the technicality of there being an extra team).

We'll have a competitive team that can play to win it, but there are some pretty long odds for any individual team to beat at the start of the season. A lot of dust has to rise and then settle before you can make a hint of an educated guess. It's possible and not unlikely, but I couldn't give you any indication beyond my expectation of at least making the SCQF.

Luck and health indeed, we need the hockey gods. We'll have the talent, the coaching and management to succeed.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,582
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 am
Location: We will not trade Sprong!

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Can it be done? Sure. Will it be easy? Heck no. I was going to post in another week or so, but now seems like a good time.

4 Keys for the Season:

1. Center depth - obviously, 3C is a priority, but this team's depth at center is really, really bad right now. Definitely not championship caliber by any means. The Penguins have nobody after Crosby and Malkin. Going into the season with someone from the minors at 3C to start the season will put much too much pressure and strain on Sid and Geno. I think Cullen is going to be missed a lot more than people realize. He put up 3rd line center numbers most of his time here while mainly playing 4th line minutes. Rowney or McClement aren't going to come anywhere close to Cullen's level of production at 3C, and I question how effective either would be as a 3C due to injury.....let alone who will be able to step up and play top 6 center minutes when Sid/Geno miss some games. It's absolutely imperative that Rutherford pickup a 3C before the start of the season, and quite possible he will need to acquire another for depth at the trade deadline. Penguins have a bunch of guys in Johnson, Blueger, and DiPauli that could challenge for 3c/4c role late in the year, but more likely next year. They need better options though for the start of the season.

2. Injection of youth - Hard to overlook the youth injection that has been added mid-season the past 2 years, with Rust,Sheary, Wilson,and Kuhnhackl the first year, and Guentzel, Rowney, and Archibald....plus improvement of Sheary and Rust, helping in year 2. This year, Sprong on RW and Aston-Reese on LW by mid-season, both playing up to or near their potential, would be a big boost to the team......and likely force some additional moves to be made at the trade deadline.

3. Injuries - A healthy Letang and less injuries overall would go a long way to helping this team be able to 3peat.

4. Goaltending - Murray needs to shake the injury prone stigma, which he is well aware of. Niemi should be playing behind a better defense, and won't be as bad as some view him, but I don't think he can carry this team if Murray continues to be injury-prone.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,518
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida @RandomHockeyGuy

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby Durbano on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Difficult. Not impossible.

Image
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,404
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:33 pm

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby Stevens25 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:38 am

I can't believe I'm saying this... but does it make sense to offer Eric Fehr a PTO? :face:
I'm not even sure if he left on good terms with the Penguins? Anyone know?

I don't think any team is high on him right now, and shockingly he is 31
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:50 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby longtimefan on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:32 am

Stevens25 wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this... but does it make sense to offer Eric Fehr a PTO? :face:
I'm not even sure if he left on good terms with the Penguins? Anyone know?

I don't think any team is high on him right now, and shockingly he is 31



He wouldn't be available on a PTO since he's still under contract with the Leafs. I suspect he's be one of those players JR could trade for right now if he wanted to. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with it. I think any bad blood between him and the team has likely been overstated. He was signed to be the 3rd line center, but then Bonino became available, plus he was injured when he arrived in Pittsburgh, so he ended up playing predominantly on the wing. He performed much better the few chances he received in the middle. When the Pens signed him, he was coming off a 19 goal, 33 point performance playing third line center for the Caps. He's a right handed shot, which would be a bonus, he kills penalties, and he's got a $2M cap hit before becoming a UFA at the end of '17-'18. He's not a sexy or ideal option, but I wouldn't be entirely opposed to giving him a look. I suspect he could be had very cheaply. I do feel JR is looking for something else though.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,139
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby Jim on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:15 pm

I think that his injuries and surgery affected him more than anyone expected.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,479
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:02 pm

longtimefan wrote:
Stevens25 wrote:I can't believe I'm saying this... but does it make sense to offer Eric Fehr a PTO? :face:
I'm not even sure if he left on good terms with the Penguins? Anyone know?

I don't think any team is high on him right now, and shockingly he is 31



He wouldn't be available on a PTO since he's still under contract with the Leafs. I suspect he's be one of those players JR could trade for right now if he wanted to. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with it. I think any bad blood between him and the team has likely been overstated. He was signed to be the 3rd line center, but then Bonino became available, plus he was injured when he arrived in Pittsburgh, so he ended up playing predominantly on the wing. He performed much better the few chances he received in the middle. When the Pens signed him, he was coming off a 19 goal, 33 point performance playing third line center for the Caps. He's a right handed shot, which would be a bonus, he kills penalties, and he's got a $2M cap hit before becoming a UFA at the end of '17-'18. He's not a sexy or ideal option, but I wouldn't be entirely opposed to giving him a look. I suspect he could be had very cheaply. I do feel JR is looking for something else though.

I don't believe he left on really good terms. Said to have been unhappy with his playing time for a few months before finally traded. Also, his injuries when signed was his elbow. It has been said that the Penguins were very unimpressed with his speed when he was here.

I just don't see him as a fit here, both due to playing style and the way he left the club.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,518
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: South Florida @RandomHockeyGuy

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby Steve on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:44 am

This is definitely a possibility. A Lot will change between now and April, but most of the threats seem to be in the West right now, and I can imagine the Pens or another East team facing off against a beat up team in the finals after wading their way through some really tough teams out there.

Also, I obviously don't know Sid and I haven't heard him say this, but I would assume he realizes this is a real chance for history for himself and his teammates. I don't think there's going to be a dropoff (like prior cup winners) this spring for the Pens. They still need to have some luck and be relatively healthy to pull it off, but I think they are going to be just as motivates as they were two springs ago.

Last preseason I predicted a Bolts-Preds final (definitely a popular prediction) - glad I was wrong. I think this year many are predicting a Pens-Oil final, which would be incredible if it plays out that way.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,537
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby pcmforless on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:13 pm

I like the Pens-Oilers final prediction. I'm going into this season with the same outlook as last year... This team didn't have a lot of turnover and definitely can contend for the cup and will be one of the favorites. That being said, what they accomplished the last two years was phenomenal considering how the 15-16 season started out. The team really owes us nothing as fans at this point (I felt this way even after 2016) and anything they achieve this year is all icing on the cake. I think last year was more difficult with the tournament before the season than this year will be and I really hope the team got a chance to heal, rest and relax this summer (and recuperate from bender that was the Cup parade :) )
They have a better chance than most teams, they will once again need a bounce here and there just like any other team that wins it all. I have been fortunate enough to attend 6 Stanley Cup finals games in the past two years (including game 6 in San Jose) and have not seen the team lose a single one and I got to seem them lift the Cup in 2016 from the glass. As a fan that is a rarely seen dream scenario and it has been an absolute ton of fun to feel a part of it. If they didn't even make the playoffs this coming year I couldn't ask for a single thing more from the team as a fan out of the last couple years, but I don't see that being the case. I just know if they do make the playoffs my *** will be in a seat for game one of the playoffs as it has been for the last two years and it seems to be a good omen.
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:24 am
Location: RENO, NV

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:41 pm

9.5 inches
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,480
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Okay, now comes the real question

Postby penny lane on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:44 pm

I think the pens had a lot of turnover. All of it can be explained logically and financially, but I will be looking for numbers that are gone.
Health, luck, and a few young guys surprise with success.
At least these 2 are back and ready to go:
Image
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,585
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: 3 peat, yeah I said it!


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


e-mail