Odd part of Molinari's Burkle Article

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Odd part of Molinari's Burkle Article

Postby Realist on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Does anyone else find it odd how Burkle said Mario wanted to sell the team a few years back and move to Canada with that big house he built, but decided to fix up his Sewickley house instead? But, Mario learned to balance things better? Huh?
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Odd part of Molinari's Burkle Article

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:26 am

Not really. My assumption is that Lemieux had intentions of moving back to Canada given that his kids had grown and he just finished his mansion there, and so he wanted to get out from his majority role in the team. When nothing came about that met his demands, I think he simply changed his mind.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:07 am

Defence21 wrote:Not really. My assumption is that Lemieux had intentions of moving back to Canada given that his kids had grown and he just finished his mansion there, and so he wanted to get out from his majority role in the team. When nothing came about that met his demands, I think he simply changed his mind.

Not at all. Like Burkle said, the equity in the team was 100% of Lemieux' net worth. But Burkle showed Mario some tricks of the trade. Mario is now diversified.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Realist on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:50 am

Yeah, but he's lived in Pittsburgh 9 months of the year since about 1986 (per Mario's past statements). So, he was going to sell his shares and move to Canada?

Now, since he's more "divested", he won't? Doesn't make sense.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PensOnDVD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:28 am

My favorite part was what he said about Ken Sawyer.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:34 am

Realist wrote:Yeah, but he's lived in Pittsburgh 9 months of the year since about 1986 (per Mario's past statements). So, he was going to sell his shares and move to Canada?

yeah, I am not sure hoe spreading your wealth a little makes you change your mind about where you live.

I always just thought that he was burning out of a hockey heavy world, not $ side, just everything revolving around it. Personally, I never got behind him buying the team because he wanted to own a team, not because he wanted to keep it in Pittsburgh. He bought it because if he had not he would have received penny's on the dollar for his back salary. I never thought he bought the team out of a passion/drive/desire to be in that side of the world, but out of necessity. After 15 year... he felt it was time to move on. Then, a variety of factors change that. Maybe no one was offering the $ that he wanted. The team once again became very successful with Cup wins. Maybe the wife wasn't as gung-ho about moving. Someday he will no longer be the majority owner, or even an owner period. Someday.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensOnDVD on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:58 am

That Montreal mansion is like a compound. Even if I had that kind of cash I couldn't see spending money on a residence that big. LOL

I think he'll always own of a piece of the team. I think one of the conditions he put in when they were exploring a sale is that he wanted to retain a small stake in the team and a luxury box at the PPG. So he always at least wants to be around the club.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:43 pm

I've seen Ron Burkle in N. Djokovic (tennis player), box at finals.

Fleury may one day receive a special bonus from Burkle.
“And then, what Fleury did for us by being more of a stand-up person than you could ever imagine anybody being and [Rutherford’s] call to keep him all year, which was exactly the right thing to do – I wish we could have given the $15 million [expansion fee] back and kept him forever.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Realist wrote:Yeah, but he's lived in Pittsburgh 9 months of the year since about 1986 (per Mario's past statements). So, he was going to sell his shares and move to Canada?

The important part is not move to Canada here, it is that he wanted money, basically. All he had was tied to the team, he wanted some "free" money, or money invested in other stuff to, so he wanted to sell to free money up.

THEN, he thought, If he is not that invested in the team, maybe not running things, he might as well move from town.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:06 pm

pekkasteele wrote:

The important part is not move to Canada here, it is that he wanted money, basically. All he had was tied to the team, he wanted some "free" money, or money invested in other stuff to, so he wanted to sell to free money up.

THEN, he thought, If he is not that invested in the team, maybe not running things, he might as well move from town.

Exactly -- I think entirely too much is being looked into this.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins