Top 4 Prospects

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Top 4 Prospects

Postby dumo8 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Found this list of the top four prospects in Penguins organization. I'm surprised Lukas Bengtsson didn't make the list. Anyone else surprised???

Here's the full list: http://thehockeywriters.com/pittsburgh- ... ects-2017/
dumo8

Re: Top 4 Prospects

Postby BurghThing on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:47 pm

I think Lukas' illness is a worry for many. Hopefully he can overcome it, but until he does, I don't think anyone sees him as a top prospect soon to be in the NHL
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:51 pm

It's not impossible for Bengtsson to return but his condition makes an NHL career improbable. Some people with POTS can't even live a normal life, let alone play a sport at the highest level. It's not really a straight forward condition to treat.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Biggems on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:26 pm

4 was kind of random, why not 5?

BTW, after losing Fleury, it is good to see we have some quality young depth at the G position. Maybe one of the two prospects might make some good trade bait in the near future.
Biggems

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Biggems wrote:4 was kind of random, why not 5?

BTW, after losing Fleury, it is good to see we have some quality young depth at the G position. Maybe one of the two prospects might make some good trade bait in the near future.

Yup, 4 is weird and it could be any one of a bunch of decent looking prospects at #4. I think the top three would be everyone's top 3 though.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:12 pm

Henry Hank wrote:It's not impossible for Bengtsson to return but his condition makes an NHL career improbable. Some people with POTS can't even live a normal life, let alone play a sport at the highest level. It's not really a straight forward condition to treat.

If POTS can take down the leader of the Wiggles then I don't know how well a hockey player can deal.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Maybe just ran out of time for his print deadline. #5 never got finished so it got cut to 4.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:20 pm

I'd probably agree with the first 3, but would likely have Gustavsson a little further down the list. I'd likely have Pouliot, Simon, or Blueger at #4.

I have some concerns with Gustavsson, as he isn't the starter in Sweden. He's stuck behind a 24 year old goalie. Last year, Lassinantti played in 39 games compared to 15 for Gustavsson. Was hoping he would come to North America this year, even if he had to go to the ECHL, to start getting adjusted. His numbers are just OK, and he isn't playing enough games for my liking.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Have to believe Jarry, ZAR and Sprong can fill NHL roles when needed. But there's no space available at their spot.

Sprong and ZAR apparently both will be getting looks for RW. Where ZAR has utility on the bottom, Sprong needs to get a top-9 assignment to be of any use. Oddly, no C roles for ZAR. While we have a surplus of RW and a shortage of C?

Already there:
- Kessel; this is the player that Sprong has most similarity with, based on limited evidence admittedly. No way Kessel ever has to move for Sprong's benefit, let alone Aston-Reese

- Hörnqvist; ZAR has more similarity with Horny, I keep reading about his grit and PIMs. Doesn't seem possible Patric has to make room for ZAR. Ever. Sprong is an entirely different type and would not directly bump Hörnqvist out.

- Reaves; Our 4th line bruiser. Have to believe that ZAR is going to pack less punch but more skill. There's an opportunity he might get scratched on occasion. Fourth line duty might be fine for Aston-Reese. Also possible Reaves ends up scratched, Hörnqvist (or other RW not named Phil or Kessel) takes a bottom line role.
* I look on the Reaves deal like the Niemi signing, which allows Jarry to play loads of AHL games.

- Sheary; Okay, he's a LW? Only works on Crosby's line? With arbitration ongoing, might not be we have Sheary on the roster next season (trades? UFA?). And if we do, he'll be on a short deal/leash. Entirely possible Sprong or ZAR bumps Sheary out of the lineup when the time comes.
* Rust is a RW who normally plays LW. In his case, I don't see Rust being moved off the roster unless the rinks thaw.

- Kühnhackl; both ZAR and Sprong should be able to compete with Tommy for a spot on the team. In Sprong's case, it will have to involve someone (Hörnqvist? Sheary?) taking a role on another line so he is useful. ZAR will have more luck competing with Tommy K, since it'll involve less moving pieces around.

- Archibald; Ideally a #13 type of forward. Good kid for the bottom and filler roles. Possibly interchangable with ZAR, again Sprong not replacing him unless you move other elements.

Conclusion:
As it stands, ZAR and Sprong absolutely certainly start in WBS. There's 5-6 guys that'll take roles before they do.

Also, McKegg not mentioned? Scratch him off your lists as 4C. :)
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby drewcpappas on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:42 pm

This is just 1 person's opinion.
drewcpappas

Postby Jim on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:02 pm

drewcpappas wrote:This is just 1 person's opinion.

With more actual though put into it than most people here put into 10 posts. While I might not agree with everything that was said, people could learn something from that post.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins