Pittsburgh Penguins Free Agency 2017

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pittsburgh Penguins Free Agency 2017

Postby Admin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:44 pm

In:
- G Antti Niemi to a one-year contract for $700,000. Details: http://pens.pe/2sdqil6
- D Matt Hunwick to a three-year contract. The deal has an AAV of $2.25 million. Info: http://pens.pe/2st392v

Out:
- Marc-Andre Fleury: Selected by Vegas in Expansion Draft
- Nick Bonino: Signs four-year, $16.4 million contract with Predators
- Trevor Daley: Signs with Detroit for a three-year, $9.5 million deal
- Ron Hainsey: Signs two-year deal, $6 million deal with the Maple Leafs
- Chris Kunitz: Signs one-year, $2 million deal with Tampa Bay

Re-signed:
- D Justin Schultz to a three-year contract with an AAV of $5.5 million: http://pens.pe/2sz4rnG
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pittsburgh Penguins Free agent signings 2017

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Good signings.. sorry to see especially Bones go ,maybe Daley too,but it is what it is :)
Hunwick solid vet for 3rd pairing, Niemi vet backup, lets hope he can show better form than he did last year in Dallas.
700k per year is a steal !! For only 1M difference I would rather keep Daley on D,considering Hunwick,but...
Last edited by Pens4Life on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Pittsburgh Penguins Free Agency 2017

Postby Penspal on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Antti Niemi - former Stanley Cup champion! I remember him on that run. His glove hand... it was like a black hole, he grabbed everything. He's been slumping, but hopefully with the Pens he can right the ship. Not a big risk really, if he sucks, find another or bring up Jarry!

Hunwick - I don't get this one. Daley's cap hit with Detroit is 3.17... Hunwick's is 2.25.... Sure, its a million more but I think the skill gap is HUGE.... prove me wrong GMJR, it would not be the first time!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Control - Hockey Gods, Hear us now! Pens are worthy, Preds are not!

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Sorry to see Bonino go, but good for him. And now the Preds can say that one of their players skated/limped around their rink on 06/11/17 with the Stanley Cup above his head. :face:

Hainsey was just a rental. We knew that from the day he signed. And he can show off his Stanley Cup ring in Toronto (they haven't seen one in 50, count 'em, FIFTY YEARS). :roll:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:41 pm

Penspal wrote:Antti Niemi - former Stanley Cup champion! I remember him on that run. His glove hand... it was like a black hole, he grabbed everything. He's been slumping, but hopefully with the Pens he can right the ship. Not a big risk really, if he sucks, find another or bring up Jarry!

Hunwick - I don't get this one. Daley's cap hit with Detroit is 3.17... Hunwick's is 2.25.... Sure, its a million more but I think the skill gap is HUGE.... prove me wrong GMJR, it would not be the first time!

The first thing you think about in Daley's skill set is skating speed. I guess Hunwick is 29% slower than Daley. :pop:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:33 pm

TJ Oshie please!
I believe Gaunce just signed with CBJ.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:04 pm

pronovost19 wrote:TJ Oshie please!
I believe Gaunce just signed with CBJ.

Can't afford Oshie with Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Kessel
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:18 pm

Yeah he re-signed a day after I heard he was a target for GMJR
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:22 pm

Admin wrote:In:
- G Antti Niemi to a one-year contract for $700,000. Details: http://pens.pe/2sdqil6
- D Matt Hunwick to a three-year contract. The deal has an AAV of $2.25 million. Info: http://pens.pe/2st392v

Out:
- Nick Bonino: Signs four-year, $16.4 million contract with Predators
- Trevor Daley: Signs with Detroit for a three-year, $9 million deal
- Ron Hainsey: Signs two-year deal, $6 million deal with the Maple Leafs

Good signings on the face of it. Particularly like our backup goaltender coming at a budget price. Jarry can play a full'ish season in the AHL. Niemi could be a sight better than Zatkoff was.

The deals of the out-going players, I don't like.
- Bones: 4.1M/yr is okay, but a four year term is too much at that price. Had the deal been 2 years it's fine, but GMJR was looking elsewhere more than at Bones? That's my impression..
- Daley: 3M/yr is good. But three years with Trevor showing some signs of decline.. risky. Possible to sign at 1 or 2 years for that price, 3 years is taking a risk.
- Hainsey 3M/yr is silly. Totally earned that deal off his playoff run. Signing him to a two-year 3M deal would've been fine for the Pens, not double that! I doubt GMJR considered very seriously keeping him.
- Kunitz 2M/yr is okay. It's only the one year he's signing with TBL and he's worth the investment, but we're loaded on wingers and keeping him (I would've liked to) would have created more problems than it solved.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:13 pm

http://pens.pe/2st7Yc8

Penguins sign:
- Tom Sestito (LW): $650,000 x 1 year (two-way)
- Frank Corrado (D): $650,000 x 1 year (two-way)
- DeSmith (G): $650,000 x 2 years (two-way)

AHL deals, depth guys signed. DeSmith is now eligible for NHL call-ups, raising our number of potential goalies to four.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWW on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:55 pm

Schultz has been resigned for 16.5 Mio $ for 3 years
Info via bleacher report alert
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Penspal wrote:Hunwick - I don't get this one. Daley's cap hit with Detroit is 3.17... Hunwick's is 2.25.... Sure, its a million more but I think the skill gap is HUGE.... prove me wrong GMJR, it would not be the first time!

Quote from Rutherford:

“When we looked at what Trevor was probably going to get, we felt that he was equal to him as a player,” Rutherford said of Hunwick. “Maybe a little different, more on the defensive side. Trevor may put up more points. But we’re very comfortable with Hunwick.”
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:35 am

longtimefan wrote:
Penspal wrote:Hunwick - I don't get this one. Daley's cap hit with Detroit is 3.17... Hunwick's is 2.25.... Sure, its a million more but I think the skill gap is HUGE.... prove me wrong GMJR, it would not be the first time!

Quote from Rutherford:

“When we looked at what Trevor was probably going to get, we felt that he was equal to him as a player,” Rutherford said of Hunwick. “Maybe a little different, more on the defensive side. Trevor may put up more points. But we’re very comfortable with Hunwick.”

But. .. he doesn't put up points for me on PlayStation. ..
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Weegie on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:37 pm

I'm sad to see them all go, they all played a part in the great success the Pens have enjoyed recently, but "business is business" in today's "we don't like our team, get the checkbook out" free agent era.

When I was a kid years ago, teams stayed the same for the most part, maybe a new draft pick or trade came in, but it wasn't "rent a player" like it is now but it's that way with all sports.....
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IC Light on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:58 am

Just MHO, but Daley has regressed over the last year and I really don't think they'll miss him much. For what he brought, I think Hunwick will be a decent replacement, especially if Letang can stay healthy and put up some decent numbers this year.
IC Light

Postby no name on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:59 am

But. .. he doesn't put up points for me on PlayStation.

Thanks Jim, that made me LOL.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:03 am

I guess from the look of our D this is the year Pouliot gets his chance full time in the NHL. I don't think Sullivan has trust in him so I wonder if he gets a fair shake.

We signed Jarred Tinordi, he was a highly touted first round choice. I guess he never panned out. I always wonder if Sullivan can pull something out of these under performers.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jpvs2k6 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:08 am

no name wrote:I guess from the look of our D this is the year Pouliot gets his chance full time in the NHL.

I don't see how, barring a major injury or big trade.

Letang, Dumoulin, Schultz, Maatta, Hunwick, Cole, Ruhwedel.

I don't see Pouliot playing above any of them.
jpvs2k6
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sigwolf on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:15 am

Considering our defensive core was together and healthy for roughly 0 games last year, somehow I think he still gets a chance...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 am

no name wrote:I guess from the look of our D this is the year Pouliot gets his chance full time in the NHL. I don't think Sullivan has trust in him so I wonder if he gets a fair shake.

We signed Jarred Tinordi, he was a highly touted first round choice. I guess he never panned out. I always wonder if Sullivan can pull something out of these under performers.

I'm not sure Tinordi is an under performer, he's more a victim of the game changing and there not being a spot for him. He's a defensive defenseman with little puck skills or offensive ability. The guy is a monster at 6'6" and extremely strong, but with the way teams are building their back ends, there isn't a lot of opportunity for these guys anymore. Keep in mind that Scott Harrington, who is also a defensive dman, outscored him in his final year of junior and Harrington is by no means an offensive guy.
Owchar76
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:31 am

Sigwolf wrote:Considering our defensive core was together and healthy for roughly 0 games last year, somehow I think he still gets a chance...

There is a lot of young D in WBS this year. Not 18 year olds, but sub 25 year olds.

Lukas Bengtsson 23 (fresh from Europe)
Jeff Taylor 23 (basically fresh out of college)
Derrick Pouliot 23 (we know his history)
Frank Corrado 24 (is he just an AHLer?)
Ethan Prow 24 (1 year out of college)
Jarred Tinordi 25 (Is he the "bust" that he appears to be?)

With the history of injuries that you reference, it will be nice seeing them give some of these guys a try. Will any end up being another Ruhwedel or will they be another Warsofsky?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Risto on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:43 am

Daley had a pretty disappointing season, I thought- especially considering the amount of time Letang missed and the Pens needing someone (Daley) to step up. Instead, Schultz was the guy who stepped up, and that's why he's still here (with a big raise) and Daley is not. Turns 34 at the beginning of the season. 3 years was too much. Look no further than Washington and Chicago to see the cap hell that teams get into by giving long term deals to aging players.

Hunwick will fill that 5-6 D slot just fine.
Risto

Postby Risto on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:51 am

Jim wrote:
Sigwolf wrote:Considering our defensive core was together and healthy for roughly 0 games last year, somehow I think he still gets a chance...

I think this is why we saw Rutherford spend most of his draft this year on defensemen.
Apparently they still have faith in Pouliot, but we've seen no reason for it at the NHL level. Turns 24 during this upcoming season. Getting to be make-or-break time.
Risto

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:59 am

Risto wrote:Daley had a pretty disappointing season, I thought- especially considering the amount of time Letang missed and the Pens needing someone (Daley) to step up. Instead, Schultz was the guy who stepped up, and that's why he's still here (with a big raise) and Daley is not. Turns 34 at the beginning of the season. 3 years was too much. Look no further than Washington and Chicago to see the cap hell that teams get into by giving long term deals to aging players.

Hunwick will fill that 5-6 D slot just fine.

That was the normal Daley last season. We were lucky enough to get an above average Daley when he was first traded here, but last season he showed his true colors. He wasn't great before coming to Pittsburgh, found his game, and then went back to his normal self last season.

Letting him go was the right move.
Owchar76
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:24 am

Risto wrote:
Jim wrote:

I think this is why we saw Rutherford spend most of his draft this year on defensemen.
Apparently they still have faith in Pouliot, but we've seen no reason for it at the NHL level. Turns 24 during this upcoming season. Getting to be make-or-break time.

Yeah, none of them are stars in the making, but near minimum capable roster fillers are nice to have.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins