Poll: No Letang, No problem

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Letangs importance, can it be overcome?

it will have no bearing on the outcome of the Penguins playoffs
28%
It will decrease our chances of repeating by 25%
38%
It decreases our chances by 50%
10%
it decreases our chances by 75%
8%
It is a nail in the coffin of us repeating.
18%

Total votes : 40

Poll: No Letang, No problem

Postby no name on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Is the loss of Letang to much to overcome for the Penguins to repeat? I don't think it will hurt is all that much. No Letang on the power play isn't that bad. Schultz on the first unit , Daley and Streit on the second unit should suffice. Letangs 5 on 5 play with the transition game is where I can see it being hard to replace. If we don't have another major long term injury I think Sullivan has enough to work with to get us on a path to a long playoff run.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Poll: No Letang, No problem

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Pens have the second best record in the league in the 2nd half of the season. Most, if not all of that has been without Letang already. The countless other injuries are more of a worry to me, but players seem to be coming back. Team speed and puck movement is the name of the game and there are plenty of players who can do it, it doesn't fall on one guy. His minutes can be split amongst the 6 defensemen...Martin knows what he's doing.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:06 pm

I voted no bearing, but would have liked an option to say it will impact, but lower than 25%.

He'll be missed, but he's already missed half of the season. The Penguins will need to find ways to put more pucks in the net at the end of the day, as they will likely give up a few more goals than they would with Letang in the lineup. His impact on the PP is minimal in my mind.....Schultz has been much better in just about every facet of the PP.

A return to form by Daley could also offset Letang. Daley and Maatta have been two of the worst defensemen on the team for a large part of the season. If Daley can come back and play like he did towards the end of last season, that would be a big help. We won the Cup without Daley, and he was a solid #3 defenseman on this team last year. It will be more by committee, but Dumoulin, Schultz, Cole, Hainsey are all good 2nd pairing type guys. Maatta, Daley, and Streit, when all three are playing at the proper level, are all solid 2nd pairing guys as well.

They have the guys to do it.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby booboo on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Why no option for the increased chances? :P
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:45 pm

I voted nail in the coffin, but only feel that way because of the combination of circumstances.

If the Pens had been going through an otherwise remarkably injury-free season … and if this hadn’t been a World Cup of Hockey year … and if the goofy playoff format hadn’t set them up for a first-round matchup with another top team, Letang’s injury still would have been a lot to overcome. It seems to be generally accepted that he’s the single toughest guy to replace on the entire roster.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:22 pm

I think it makes the Pens/Caps series, if it happens, favor the Caps. With him,it would have been more of a coin-flip in my mind.
Pens can repeat without him, but it will be more difficult. Fortunately, they have more NHL depth at the blue line than in the past.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:46 pm

Last year's playoffs depth on D:

Letang
Dumoulin
Daley
Maatta
Lovejoy
Cole
Schultz
Pouliot

This year it may be:

Schultz
Dumoulin
Cole
Hainsey
Maatta
Daley
Streit
Ruhwedel

It really depends on if Dumo can play like he did last year along with how Daley and Maatta play returning from injuries. While I think they'll miss Letang at 5on5, it's not the nail in the coffin. The Pens have played well without him, but in doing so, they may run out of gas sooner.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Getting Malkin and Kessel back will help more.

Wait, is Kessel injured or just playing like ****?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:37 pm

DelPen wrote:Getting Malkin and Kessel back will help more.

Wait, is Kessel injured or just playing like ****?

Waiting for the games to matter, IMO.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Bump;

I remember posting this before the playoffs and thought it would be a good read.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:35 pm

I was one of the 25%ers. I personally think we would've beaten Ottawa faster than 7 games with Letang. Otherwise, he wouldn't have made much more of a difference. We really struggled getting the puck up ice early in the Nashville series though.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Nail in the coffin. No way we repeat without Letang. Simply too many minutes to replace and no more room for other injuries in what promises to be a physical playoff run. Just wait til 2018-19.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins