Penguins Injury Update Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins Injury Update Thread

Postby jcgopens on Fri May 26, 2017 11:26 am

Did anybody see this report saying Kris Letang could possibly retire? It originally came from a discussion on Montreal Sports 91.9 yesterday morning. I'm not sure if there is any basis for it, or just the speculation of talk show hosts on that station. I haven't heard anything like this from the Pittsburgh media, and Letang's wife was on a Montreal talk show last week and said "Kris's reovery has been amazing".

https://t.co/5RBlZKMIit
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Fri May 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Frankly I would not be the least bit surprised. I was asking about the cap ramifications if he retired back when he went out with the injury, just because honestly it seems like a logical move. He has gone through some pretty severe injuries and health incidents.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sigwolf on Fri May 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Antonio wrote:Frankly I would not be the least bit surprised. I was asking about the cap ramifications if he retired back when he went out with the injury, just because honestly it seems like a logical move. He has gone through some pretty severe injuries and health incidents.

As far as I know, if he retires the cap ramifications are his entire salary comes off the books. The only time a team is penalized is if the contract was signed when the player was 35+.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri May 26, 2017 9:35 pm

jcgopens wrote:Did anybody see this report saying Kris Letang could possibly retire? It originally came from a discussion on Montreal Sports 91.9 yesterday morning. I'm not sure if there is any basis for it, or just the speculation of talk show hosts on that station. I haven't heard anything like this from the Pittsburgh media, and Letang's wife was on a Montreal talk show last week and said "Kris's reovery has been amazing".

That is complete hearsay. No merit whatsoever to that "report." So some guy on a radio station thought Letang should retire due to his history before he really does some damage. People theorize about things like that all the time. there is never any truth to any of it.

I think the Pens have proven they can get it done without Letang, so I don't really care if he retires or not, but, I think Letang still has a ton of fire n his belly for competition. I really do not see him retiring any time soon.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun May 28, 2017 10:25 am

Chad Ruhwedel has joined his teammates for practice today!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 28, 2017 10:54 am

Jake Guentzel is not practicing. :(

Correction: He is practicing but did not take line rushes. Kunitz-Crosby-Sheary was Line 1. Would be a bit of a shock if he were to be scratched. Hasn't scored in awhile, but has been getting lots of chances.
Last edited by FLPensFan on Sun May 28, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun May 28, 2017 10:56 am

Pitts wrote:
jcgopens wrote:Did anybody see this report saying Kris Letang could possibly retire? It originally came from a discussion on Montreal Sports 91.9 yesterday morning. I'm not sure if there is any basis for it, or just the speculation of talk show hosts on that station. I haven't heard anything like this from the Pittsburgh media, and Letang's wife was on a Montreal talk show last week and said "Kris's reovery has been amazing".

That is complete hearsay. No merit whatsoever to that "report." So some guy on a radio station thought Letang should retire due to his history before he really does some damage. People theorize about things like that all the time. there is never any truth to any of it.

I think the Pens have proven they can get it done without Letang, so I don't really care if he retires or not, but, I think Letang still has a ton of fire n his belly for competition. I really do not see him retiring any time soon.

I would be fine with Letang retiring as long as he did it prior to Karlsson hitting the UFA market.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun May 28, 2017 11:51 am

Hornqvist practicing on top PP wth Guentzel and Hagelin rotating on 4th line. Can't disagree with that choice. They are the only two guys you could possibly say have been spwcstprs the last couple games.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkintent on Mon May 29, 2017 10:43 am

Sully says Hornqvist in tonight. Didn't say which forward would sit.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby DelPen on Mon May 29, 2017 10:53 am

Malkintent wrote:Sully says Hornqvist in tonight. Didn't say which forward would sit.

Hagelin stayed out after everyone else, usually indicates a scratch. Would also mean that Sid will get some time double shifted between Guentzel and Hornqvist too.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Mon May 29, 2017 11:01 am

If the choice is between Guentzel and Hagelin there isn't a discussion. Guentzel does much more even when he's not scoring. He generates chances. Hagelin is what he is but if Guentzel is healthy he plays.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby torartc on Mon May 29, 2017 11:10 am

Guentzel is day to day, won't play tonight. Hags and Horny are in.
torartc
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Inkio on Mon May 29, 2017 11:53 am

torartc wrote:Guentzel is day to day, won't play tonight. Hags and Horny are in.

Where did you see the Guentzel info? I didn't see it on twitter

Wes Crosby‏Verified account @OtherNHLCrosby 2h2 hours ago
More
Sullivan says Hornqvist will play. He has made the decision between Hagelin/Guentzel. Does not share that decision. #Pens
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby torartc on Mon May 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Inkio wrote:
torartc wrote:Guentzel is day to day, won't play tonight. Hags and Horny are in.

Where did you see the Guentzel info? I didn't see it on twitter

Wes Crosby‏Verified account @OtherNHLCrosby 2h2 hours ago
More
Sullivan says Hornqvist will play. He has made the decision between Hagelin/Guentzel. Does not share that decision. #Pens

I got a push notification this morning that said Jake was out with a day to day undisclosed injury and would not play tonight. I can't find where they got that info from though, because you're right, I'm not seeing that reported anywhere else.
torartc
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:31 am

Early indications are Carl Hagelin may be in the Game 3 lineup for......Nick Bonino. Full attendance practice today with the exception of Bonino. Unclear if he was given the day off, but more than likely, isn't able to skate due to the blocked shot he took from Subban.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Weegie on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:43 am

FLPensFan wrote:Early indications are Carl Hagelin may be in the Game 3 lineup for......Nick Bonino. Full attendance practice today with the exception of Bonino. Unclear if he was given the day off, but more than likely, isn't able to skate due to the blocked shot he took from Subban.

They'll miss the many things Bonino does well, faceoffs, blocked shots, penalty kill as well as scoring some goals, but it'll be interesting to see what Hags speed can do, I think he'll do well. Hopefully Bones can make it back quickly.....
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Weegie wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Early indications are Carl Hagelin may be in the Game 3 lineup for......Nick Bonino. Full attendance practice today with the exception of Bonino. Unclear if he was given the day off, but more than likely, isn't able to skate due to the blocked shot he took from Subban.

They'll miss the many things Bonino does well, faceoffs, blocked shots, penalty kill as well as scoring some goals, but it'll be interesting to see what Hags speed can do, I think he'll do well. Hopefully Bones can make it back quickly.....

This is where Bones earns his next pay bump. The organization and the fans will soon realize how important he truly is to winning in the playoffs if he is out.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:27 pm

Bonino in a boot and on crutches when leaving for Nashville.

I would guess based on the third period of Game 2 we see this:

59-87-17
14-71-81
62-7-72
23-37-43

Still looks better than the Preds up front.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Bonino again seen leaving the arena in walking boot and crutches today..........BUT......was also reported that Scott Wilson stayed out on the ice quite a long time, longer than someone who is normally in the lineup.

So, one sign points to no Bonino, and the other points to Bonino in for Wilson.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RentedMule66 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:14 pm

DelPen wrote:Bonino in a boot and on crutches when leaving for Nashville.

59-87-17
14-71-81
62-7-72
23-37-43

I'd like to see Sheary back up on Sid's line and Rust down with Geno
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:25 pm

RentedMule66 wrote:
DelPen wrote:Bonino in a boot and on crutches when leaving for Nashville.

59-87-17
14-71-81
62-7-72
23-37-43

I'd like to see Sheary back up on Sid's line and Rust down with Geno

Agreed
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:10 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Bonino again seen leaving the arena in walking boot and crutches today..........BUT......was also reported that Scott Wilson stayed out on the ice quite a long time, longer than someone who is normally in the lineup.

So, one sign points to no Bonino, and the other points to Bonino in for Wilson.

Or perhaps Hagelin is in for Wilson, and if Bonino can't go, then Archibald takes his spot? I'm not sure if they would do that or not, but perhaps they are looking for more speed.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:46 pm

T Kuhnhackl is cleared to play- still hoping for Bonino. I could see Sullivan telling Bonino to keep the boot on today for the media.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:03 am

Last edited by FallenHero96 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:06 am

No way he comes back, nor should he
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins