Official Pittsburgh Penguins Jersey & Gear Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Re: Official Pittsburgh Penguins Jersey & Gear Discussion Th

Postby theblackarts on Wed May 27, 2020 11:03 am

Anyone know what material was used for the 08-09 reebok team issued jerseys? Bizarre question I know.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lesky on Wed May 27, 2020 12:16 pm

theblackarts wrote:Does anyone have a 2017 away edge that they'd be willing to sell or trade? Any player. S/M/L. Thanks!

Do you mean the replica, indo-edge or the made in canada authentic?
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed May 27, 2020 12:17 pm

theblackarts wrote:Anyone know what material was used for the 08-09 reebok team issued jerseys? Bizarre question I know.

Does the inside tags state this clearly? I have a few of them so I could check.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Wed May 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Lesky wrote:
theblackarts wrote:Does anyone have a 2017 away edge that they'd be willing to sell or trade? Any player. S/M/L. Thanks!

Do you mean the replica, indo-edge or the made in canada authentic?

Indo-edge at least! Thanks.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby theblackarts on Wed May 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Lesky wrote:
theblackarts wrote:Anyone know what material was used for the 08-09 reebok team issued jerseys? Bizarre question I know.

Does the inside tags state this clearly? I have a few of them so I could check.

I don't recall at the moment, but someone on reddit suggested this:

"During the early Edge years, the Penguins did not use stretch mesh nameplates like most teams did. They just used the same material that was on the shoulder panels, because the Penguins’ shoulder panels extended farther down the back than most other jerseys. So if you have a 2.0, it’s standard airknit, and the nameplate is also airknit, which is quite common, and most major customizers should have this. Even collectors often cut up airknit jerseys to sell as nameplates."
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jeffshly on Thu May 28, 2020 1:54 pm

Not a bizarre question at all! A pretty good one, actually!

Many teams use different colors and material styles for their nameplates. I'm not sure that this is the case for *every* year through the Pens history, but I can tell you that for the most recent years (let's say 1989 and forward, likely earlier, but I don't have in-hand experience with pre-1989 jerseys), the Penguins always used jersey material for their nameplates. And Edge 1.0 jersey had a nameplate made of Edge 1.0 jersey "stretch-knit" material. In 2008-09, the Pens used Reebok Edge 2.0 jerseys that were made from the old CCM Air-Knit material (Edge 2.0 was necessitated by the original Edge 1.0 debacle, explained in detail early in this thread), and the nameplates were Air-Knit as well.

Let me know if you need any close-up pics of this style of nameplate. I don't have any 2008-09 gamers, but I do have more recent ones that used the same material.
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Sun May 31, 2020 8:42 am

Thanks for the input everyone! Just picked up my '09 team issued goalie cut Fleury cup jersey from pro knitwear! She's a beaut!

https://imgur.com/a/Z4X6q9a

I'm not planning on selling it, but if someone wants to make me an offer I'll listen!
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jeffshly on Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:16 pm

theblackarts wrote:Thanks for the input everyone! Just picked up my '09 team issued goalie cut Fleury cup jersey from pro knitwear! She's a beaut!

Definitely a sweet jersey! Congratulations!!
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:45 pm

Lesky my dude - look what I finally found again after 9 years of searching for a size 46!! I thought at the time when I traded this to you that it wouldn't be too difficult. :face: :D :D :D

This thing is brand spanking new. Crisp as hell.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:12 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:Lesky my dude - look what I finally found again after 9 years of searching for a size 46!! I thought at the time when I traded this to you that it wouldn't be too difficult. :face: :D :D :D

I made that guy a few offers and he wouldn't take them. 46 is slightly small for me so I passed. Enjoy!
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby blurryhaze312 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:42 pm

theblackarts wrote:
I made that guy a few offers and he wouldn't take them. 46 is slightly small for me so I passed. Enjoy!

My lucky day then! I messaged him back in Feb and asked about it, was going to buy it and then the virus hit and the world went crazy. Just messaged him again a few days ago and immediately struck. Can't believe it sat there for 4-5 months.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jeffshly on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:45 am

Wow! Complete with a nameplate, too! We gonna match, Haze?
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:30 pm

haha! No, likely doing Jagr "C"

I did make that exact jersey for my sister in law for Christmas a few years ago :)
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jeffshly on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:14 am

That's going to look sweet!
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:03 am

jeffshly wrote:That's going to look sweet!

Jeff, do you know where to get the airknit 2.0 fabric that could be used for edge 2.0 nameplates? Specifically white? Pro knitwear doesn't stock it. Thanks man!

Also, just got a francis gradient authentic to match you guys.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jeffshly on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:22 am

Unfortunately, I don't know of a place to get airknit fabric. A lot of customizers will sacrifice a jersey to have nameplate material. Unfortunately, the days of a nameplate being included with jerseys, as was the case with your Starter, are gone. I'd check local customizers, like the House o' Hockey or other hockey supply shops.

Congrats on the Francis jersey! Can't wait to see pics!
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:39 pm

theblackarts wrote:
jeffshly wrote:That's going to look sweet!

Jeff, do you know where to get the airknit 2.0 fabric that could be used for edge 2.0 nameplates? Specifically white? Pro knitwear doesn't stock it. Thanks man!

Also, just got a francis gradient authentic to match you guys.

Someone on Reddit recently was selling a bunch of 2.0 fabric for name plates!
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:56 pm

Is Pro Knitwear the best place to customize those 90's gradient jerseys? Should I get a kit on ebay and have them put it on?
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jeffshly on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:50 am

theblackarts wrote:Is Pro Knitwear the best place to customize those 90's gradient jerseys? Should I get a kit on ebay and have them put it on?

To my knowledge, the gradient jerseys pre-date Pro Knitwear's involvement with the Penguins. They may be able to make you a kit and customize a jersey for you. However, I recently had a Kasparaitis jersey done at the House o' Hockey inside the Pittsburgh Ice Arena (700 Craigdell Rd, New Kensington, PA 15068) and I'm thrilled with the way it turned out. I highly recommend HoH!

jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 pm

jeffshly wrote:
theblackarts wrote:Is Pro Knitwear the best place to customize those 90's gradient jerseys? Should I get a kit on ebay and have them put it on?

To my knowledge, the gradient jerseys pre-date Pro Knitwear's involvement with the Penguins. They may be able to make you a kit and customize a jersey for you. However, I recently had a Kasparaitis jersey done at the House o' Hockey inside the Pittsburgh Ice Arena (700 Craigdell Rd, New Kensington, PA 15068) and I'm thrilled with the way it turned out. I highly recommend HoH!

that looks great Jeff! Would you be able to send a few close ups? Did they use glacier twill and the whole 9 yards? I was thinking of also sending it here; looks like they're also equipped.

https://exclusivepro.com/product/695/pi ... oad_jersey
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jeffshly on Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:57 pm

theblackarts wrote:that looks great Jeff! Would you be able to send a few close ups? Did they use glacier twill and the whole 9 yards?

I have some more pictures posted on my website, https://jeffshly.weebly.com/1998-99-starter-road-authentic---kasparaitis.html. If there are any specific shots you want, let me know (Jeff Laskowski on Facebook/Facebook Messenger) and I can send them directly to you. The jersey hangs in my office closet - about ten feet from where I'm sitting, so I can send you whatever pics you'd like right away. And yes, they used a full three glacier twill kit to team specs. I'll sit this next to a gamer (https://jeffshly.weebly.com/1999-2000-pro-player-road-game-worn---miller.html) and you won't be able to tell the difference in the customization.

theblackarts wrote:I was thinking of also sending it here; looks like they're also equipped. https://exclusivepro.com/product/695/pi ... oad_jersey

EPS is known to do a good job as well. I'm told that they're pricey and they take quite a long time, but the quality is top-notch as well. Personally, I like to take my jerseys directly to the customizer, as our postal/parcel services are really slow due to the pandemic. But that's my preference. Either way, you'll be in good shape!
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:18 am

jeffshly wrote:
theblackarts wrote:that looks great Jeff! Would you be able to send a few close ups? Did they use glacier twill and the whole 9 yards?

I have some more pictures posted on my website, https://jeffshly.weebly.com/1998-99-starter-road-authentic---kasparaitis.html. If there are any specific shots you want, let me know (Jeff Laskowski on Facebook/Facebook Messenger) and I can send them directly to you. The jersey hangs in my office closet - about ten feet from where I'm sitting, so I can send you whatever pics you'd like right away. And yes, they used a full three glacier twill kit to team specs. I'll sit this next to a gamer (https://jeffshly.weebly.com/1999-2000-pro-player-road-game-worn---miller.html) and you won't be able to tell the difference in the customization.

theblackarts wrote:I was thinking of also sending it here; looks like they're also equipped. https://exclusivepro.com/product/695/pi ... oad_jersey

EPS is known to do a good job as well. I'm told that they're pricey and they take quite a long time, but the quality is top-notch as well. Personally, I like to take my jerseys directly to the customizer, as our postal/parcel services are really slow due to the pandemic. But that's my preference. Either way, you'll be in good shape!

Thanks Jeff! The photos look great. I'm always concerned about the fabric/twill being used as well as the stiching, but yours looks pretty legit so far as I can tell.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lesky on Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:56 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:Lesky my dude - look what I finally found again after 9 years of searching for a size 46!! I thought at the time when I traded this to you that it wouldn't be too difficult. :face: :D :D :D

Wow! How awesome :thumb: I missed this post and did not see it until now. I actually were thinking about asking if you had replaced it yet :D LOL. 9 years, OMG. Did you wait for one that was new with tags? Thats certainly MEGA RARE! What are you plans for it? Keep it blank or customize it?

So for people unaware, like 10 years back I was in a big hunt for this particular jersey in a size 46, and blurryhaze312 kindly decided he could let go of the one he had to help end my chase! That was very kind of him and still much appreciated :-)

Here is blurryhaze312 old jersey :fist: Thanks again!

Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jeffshly on Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:58 pm

Lesky wrote:So for people unaware, like 10 years back I was in a big hunt for this particular jersey in a size 46, and blurryhaze312 kindly decided he could let go of the one he had to help end my chase! That was very kind of him and still much appreciated :-)

That Haze...he's a good guy, isn't he? :wink: If only I could get him to sell me his original Pens 25th Anniversary patch!
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:47 am

jeffshly wrote:
Lesky wrote:So for people unaware, like 10 years back I was in a big hunt for this particular jersey in a size 46, and blurryhaze312 kindly decided he could let go of the one he had to help end my chase! That was very kind of him and still much appreciated :-)

That Haze...he's a good guy, isn't he? :wink: If only I could get him to sell me his original Pens 25th Anniversary patch!

Haha. I guess maybe Haze could consider trading it for one of your game worn jerseys? :lol: I do know he really values these patches.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins