Upgrading the 3rd Line

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Upgrading the 3rd Line

Postby cojac on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:13 pm

Pens really need to add a physical winger to their 3rd line. Having Sutter and Bennett with a winger that can crash and bang in the corners, and go to the net would give you a nice 3rd line. Harry Z has 7 goals in WB, maybe he should get an extended look on that line. Tanner Glass just doesn't have the hands to play on the 3rd line, he's perfect where he is on the 4th line. Potential trade targets could be: Marcus Foligno or Kyle Clifford.
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Upgrading the 3rd Line

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:44 pm

Or we could wait until that Kobasew guy comes back from injury. Seemed to play well there until injuries forced him up the lineup.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:09 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Or we could wait until that Kobasew guy comes back from injury. Seemed to play well there until injuries forced him up the lineup.

Really? Kobasew? It's not like he fit in perfect and scored some goals on the 3rd line with Sutter and Bennett.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:22 pm

I think we should trade Sutter and have two true fourth lines.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Change the thread title to "Upgrade the 1st line" or "Upgrade the 2nd line" and you're onto something.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:46 pm

cojac wrote:Tanner Glass just doesn't have the hands to play on the 3rd line, he's perfect where he is on the 4th line.

the 3rd line is going to be a defensive unit. glass, adams, kobasew, whoever...doesn't really matter - it's still only going to be effective on one side of the ice.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:24 pm

shmenguin wrote:
cojac wrote:Tanner Glass just doesn't have the hands to play on the 3rd line, he's perfect where he is on the 4th line.

the 3rd line is going to be a defensive unit. glass, adams, kobasew, whoever...doesn't really matter - it's still only going to be effective on one side of the ice.

There is the problem. If we have 2 scoring lines and 2 defensive units, what happens come playoff time when teams D up and refuse to give Crosby/Malkin any room?

Teams that win the cup have 4 lines that can score any shift...

Shero will need to improve the forward depth come deadline time IMO.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:30 pm

Also most of the teams that gun for the cup have size too. The Pens are just so small.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:00 am

cojac wrote:Pens really need to add a physical winger to their 3rd line. Having Sutter and Bennett with a winger that can crash and bang in the corners, and go to the net would give you a nice 3rd line. Harry Z has 7 goals in WB, maybe he should get an extended look on that line. Tanner Glass just doesn't have the hands to play on the 3rd line, he's perfect where he is on the 4th line. Potential trade targets could be: Marcus Foligno or Kyle Clifford.

Clifford, yes!
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shaky Walton on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:21 am

Don't look now people but the Rangers are only 4 point behind with the same amount of games played!!!!!!!!!!!! King Henrik is back and that should cause a lot of concern.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:50 am

Shaky Walton wrote:Don't look now people but the Rangers are only 4 point behind with the same amount of games played!!!!!!!!!!!! King Henrik is back and that should cause a lot of concern.

:scared:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:08 am

our 3rd line should be Morrow-Sutter-Talbot, ok a little slow, yeah yeah ok really slow. But wait til they get to their game.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:11 am

Steve Dave wrote:
cojac wrote:Pens really need to add a physical winger to their 3rd line. Having Sutter and Bennett with a winger that can crash and bang in the corners, and go to the net would give you a nice 3rd line. Harry Z has 7 goals in WB, maybe he should get an extended look on that line. Tanner Glass just doesn't have the hands to play on the 3rd line, he's perfect where he is on the 4th line. Potential trade targets could be: Marcus Foligno or Kyle Clifford.

Clifford, yes!

Not sure, that big red dog always seems to find mischief even though he has a heart of gold.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:05 am

DelPen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Or we could wait until that Kobasew guy comes back from injury. Seemed to play well there until injuries forced him up the lineup.

Really? Kobasew? It's not like he fit in perfect and scored some goals on the 3rd line with Sutter and Bennett.

They only played together for like 5 mins then neal got hurt in the first game and bennett moved up than he got hurt and kobasew got moved up, than he got hurt.

While i am on record that i think they should move kunitz to malkings wing and move bennett up to play with crosby, i am fine once everyone is game and healthy seeing what the third line of Kobasew-Sutter-Bennett can do
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:59 am

1. Trade Letang.
2. Be able to afford some quality and depth at forward.
3. ???
4. Profit
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:09 pm

no name wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

Clifford, yes!

Not sure, that big red dog always seems to find mischief even though he has a heart of gold.

True, but maybe Emily Elizabeth can get him straightened out, could use his size on the wings.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:37 pm

I actually think Glass, Sutter and Bennett could be a formidable third line. I'm very impressed with how Glass has performed thus far and could very well be that physical presence needed on the third.

Sutter and Bennett are offensively talented enough to generate real scoring chances and I think Glass is perfect in the role of opening up space for them.

I said before the season the biggest issue that will face the Pens come the deadline is physicality. I think some people overlook how big of a loss Cooke was to this team. Glass may not make up for what Cooke brought, but I think he brings enough to make a difference.

All that being said, I'd love to see Shero bring in Steve Ott or someone like him.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby indian on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Megna has the potential to make the third line megnaficient.
indian
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:49 pm

indian wrote:Megna has the potential to make the third line megnaficient.

Considering the Penguins are unlikely to bring back Jokinen next season; that would bump Bennett up with Malkin and Neal leaving a spot open on the third line and wouldn't be opposed to giving Megna a long look there, but I don't think he addresses the need the original poster was writing about.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Crankshaft wrote:

Yes, a megnaboo to you sir!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:21 pm

We can wait until the trade deadline with upgrading 3rd line.. We have a lot of players that we can try on 3rd line along with
Bennett and Sutter ; Kobasew, Glass, Megna are my first 3 picks.. Glass really pickdup his game from last year.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Steve Dave wrote:
no name wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:

Clifford, yes!

True, but maybe Emily Elizabeth can get him straightened out, could use his size on the wings.

Hate when i read things that make me laugh out loud at work. I get the weirdest looks. That was a good one Steve Dave.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:41 am

Shero needs to find a way to get Chris Stewart and Steve Ott on this team.

Sutter, Stewart and Ott as a third line would make teams feel the fear.

Bump Bennett to the 2nd line and trade Jokinen.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:44 am

Steve Ott is a clown. no need for that on this team. Stewart intrigues me though......
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins