Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:55 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
71Aj66ax87 wrote:All this offensive talent and they're averaging a goal a game in the past two games and some posters are blaming MAF.

Really?


Come on. You've been posting here a while. This can't come as a surprise. 8-)


Guess I'm just tired,been up since 5 AM.Night everyone.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,362
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:56 am
Location: A parallel universe called New Pittsburgh

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:55 pm

bigkam wrote:Remember when we had 3rd and 4th liners who could score? I miss those days.

I'd settle for production from any line.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,749
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: 4.5 hours south of Josh Harrison's hometown.

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:56 pm

farnham16 wrote:The Letang contract will go down as the worst move of Shero's tenure here.


I had that feeling at the time the contract was signed, and certainly have seen no reason to think differently.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,833
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby legame on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:56 pm

legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,926
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:21 am
Location: Wilmywood, NC

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Gaucho wrote:STALKER GIN


A true action hero!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,695
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: TOOTBLAN

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby The U on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Very predictable offense from this team. No puck possession behind the net or in the zone. Everyone pulls up at the blueline and looks for a trailer. If that's not there...turnover.

Megna brings more than D'Agostini, no?

Tonight you saw what a shrimpy and small crop of forwards looks like vs a big and powerful group of forwards. It was like the Boston series from last year in that regard. When you have some guys capable of zone time and power forward-type hockey you can still get some production even when the tic-tac-toe stuff isn't working.

Played without 2 of our top 4 dmen tonight. Don't forget that.

Those complaining about Letang....Shero can trade him whenever he wants. What's with the worrying? Either he steps up, plays great, and we keep him for years or he slips a bit and we get a big return if/ when we trade him. We'll be fine either way on the Letang front.

Bigger issue for me is the overall look and feel to this team. Still feels a little small and obsessed with making the perfect play.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,453
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby MarioLives on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:58 pm

I miss you pens fans
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby npv708 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:58 pm

There's a lot of things to pick apart about this game that the Pens did wrong, be it Nisky, Letang, or Geno, but its the Blues and they played much better against a much better team than the Rangers game. The Blues are an offense-strangling team with decent enough talent. I think they're one of the contenders to come out of the West.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,670
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby farnham16 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:03 am

Only way Letang gets traded is if his play slips really bad for an extended period. If that happens, his value goes way down. He could have and should have been traded this off season because we would have gotten a kings ransom in return.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby KG on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:03 am

It would be pretty helpful if Malkin didn't have 3 goals in 17 games....Last regular season 31 games, 9 goals...

He needs to get going...does he need motivation? I don't know.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby KG on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:04 am

farnham16 wrote:Only way Letang gets traded is if his play slips really bad for an extended period. If that happens, his value goes way down. He could have and should have been traded this off season because we would have gotten a kings ransom in return.


It didn't sound like Shero ever gave serious consideration to moving him. This team could easily survive without Letang. If they could get a nice package with quality depth coming back, I'm in...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby farnham16 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:05 am

KG wrote:It would be pretty helpful if Malkin didn't have 3 goals in 17 games....Last regular season 31 games, 9 goals...

He needs to get going...does he need motivation? I don't know.


No he's been playing really hard. Trying too hard maybe. He's just in a big slump. He needs to find his way out of it and I think he will. Neal is back and he's playing picking up some points lately.

Sid has been struggling a lot as well. He's gone like 3 or 4 games without a point. Whole team is in a slump.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:05 am

KG wrote:It would be pretty helpful if Malkin didn't have 3 goals in 17 games....Last regular season 31 games, 9 goals...

He needs to get going...does he need motivation? I don't know.


This is worrisome. What is going on with him?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,483
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:06 am

I did not really care to have him re-signed, bu trading him would be in really bad faith on Shero's part. It would not be a good move.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,717
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby GDR on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:06 am

KG wrote:It would be pretty helpful if Malkin didn't have 3 goals in 17 games....Last regular season 31 games, 9 goals...

He needs to get going...does he need motivation? I don't know.


I think his shoulder is still messed up.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,851
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:07 am

llipgh2 wrote:
KG wrote:It would be pretty helpful if Malkin didn't have 3 goals in 17 games....Last regular season 31 games, 9 goals...

He needs to get going...does he need motivation? I don't know.


This is worrisome. What is going on with him?

My guess is Sochi.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,717
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby farnham16 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:08 am

KG wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Only way Letang gets traded is if his play slips really bad for an extended period. If that happens, his value goes way down. He could have and should have been traded this off season because we would have gotten a kings ransom in return.


It didn't sound like Shero ever gave serious consideration to moving him. This team could easily survive without Letang. If they could get a nice package with quality depth coming back, I'm in...


Of course they could survive without him. The contract is even more insane considering the depth of D in our system.

My big thing is I don't think you can have Letang and Bylsma. Bylsma lets Letang do whatever he wants on the ice. Never cuts his ice time no matter how stupid he plays. Never. Bylsma gives Letang complete free reign on the ice and with a guy like Letang, that is very bad. They are a horrible match. With a different head coach, Letang could be under more control out there.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,398
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:10 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
KG wrote:It would be pretty helpful if Malkin didn't have 3 goals in 17 games....Last regular season 31 games, 9 goals...

He needs to get going...does he need motivation? I don't know.


This is worrisome. What is going on with him?

My guess is Sochi.


Meh, that doesn't explain last season.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,483
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:10 am

farnham16 wrote:
KG wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Only way Letang gets traded is if his play slips really bad for an extended period. If that happens, his value goes way down. He could have and should have been traded this off season because we would have gotten a kings ransom in return.


It didn't sound like Shero ever gave serious consideration to moving him. This team could easily survive without Letang. If they could get a nice package with quality depth coming back, I'm in...


Of course they could survive without him. The contract is even more insane considering the depth of D in our system.

My big thing is I don't think you can have Letang and Bylsma. Bylsma lets Letang do whatever he wants on the ice. Never cuts his ice time no matter how stupid he plays. Never. Bylsma gives Letang complete free reign on the ice and with a guy like Letang, that is very bad. They are a horrible match. With a different head coach, Letang could be under more control out there.

Interesting that most stuff always comes down to coaching
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:11 am

I think it does, beig that whether they were going or not was hanging over a portion of the season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,717
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby MarioLives on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:12 am

Trade Letang win a cup...... Done
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:16 am

I dont se what Letan does that conflicts with what the team wants. When he's "doing whatever he wants", it seems consistent with the all north, get to the o-zone as soon as possible mentality of the team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,717
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby offsides on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:36 am

NashvilleCat wrote:
bigkam wrote:Remember when we had 3rd and 4th liners who could score? I miss those days.

I'd settle for production from any line.


^^^THIS^^^^
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,422
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby Froggy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:45 am

Meh. We lost by a goal in a fairly evenly played contest to a good team on their ice on a night none of our top players were on their game. If you are going to lose a game, that's a pretty non objectionable script. I don't see any real reason to freak out here.

Sure, Letang and Malkin have been disappointing, and sure, Crosby's line has been pretty quiet lately. But i don't think these are permanent conditions.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,575
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Blues 11/9/13

Postby pens2005 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:49 am

GDR wrote:
KG wrote:It would be pretty helpful if Malkin didn't have 3 goals in 17 games....Last regular season 31 games, 9 goals...

He needs to get going...does he need motivation? I don't know.


I think his shoulder is still messed up.


Let the excuses continue.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,226
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

e-mail