Letang to wing?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Letang to wing?

Postby slipshod on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:02 am

Idea from a post from Smoothmoneyb in a GDT (so 'give credit'... or 'direct your hatred toward' him).

I like the idea a lot. Solves many of the Pens issues. Too many quality D, not enough scoring wingers, Letang sucking at D and can't QB a PP anyway. Being closer to net means he will hit the net more than 50% of the time (in theory)

Thoughts?
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Letang to wing?

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:07 am

Horrible idea.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 am

Disgonbegood.gif
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 am

That would be a long shot. The transition to forward for a skill player is not that easy. For a fork and spoon operator like Engelland, it's not that tough because his game was so simple. For a player like Letang, geez, I wouldn't even know where to start with what to tell him. No more outlet passes, you can't use your best asset to the team's best advantage any more (skating)...I don't know if Letang would even do that.

I just don't think it's a reasonable solution, though I understand the thought process somewhat. I think it's more likely he's traded before he changes positions. And I don't find either of those things particularly likely right now.

I am a bit frustrated by his play so far in the young season though.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the errey i breathe on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 am

Hate to sound like HCDB but let's give Letang a while to get back to his game after injury before we try to cast him off.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 am

This team is really missing a Norris-caliber winger. They haven't had one since as long as I can remember.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:13 am

Bobby Orr writes in his new book that the Bruins tried him at wing early in his career, and that he was horrible at it. I'm not sure where people get the idea that an offensive defenseman is naturally going to make a good forward.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:16 am

Letangs biggest problem is that he's a Really dumb Hockey player. Moving him to wing doesn't make that fact go away
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:18 am

Well it kinda works for engelland. Hes pretty well hidden.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:26 am

what is even happening right now.

i haven't been paying attention closely, but it looks like letang is playing a more measured game than in years past. but the problem there is that he isn't that cerebral of a player. so even if he's focusing on the little things, he's going to whiff quite a bit. meanwhile you lose the guy who flies all over the ice creating all kinds of good mayhem. he's only worth his contract if he can make an impact all over the ice. i don't see that happening this year.

i don't mind the high-flying risk taker that he's been for the last couple years. i just want him to learn when to dial it back. like...it should be obvious if you have a lead late in a game that you should be a little more conservative on defense. this level of awareness just isn't there.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:27 am

Winger is its own world. It is about knowing where to be in space, knowing when to crash the net and, more than anything, going into corners, banging forwards, and cycling pucks.

As someone already said, this works in Engo's favor. He can ask coaches where to be in space, he knows how to crash a net and with his big body, get into position, and he definitely can go into a corner and bang it with the defense.

From what I see, Letang is very poor with the puck but yet likes to have it as much as possible. Wingers barely ever touch a puck for more than a second as they are either cycling or working it around or to the center. Letang would be lousy in the slot as he is too small. He is not a corner mucker. I just think he would be terrible on wing. Center would be better for him giving his skating and range which are his strengths but the simple truth is, if coaches would just force him to play his position, he could be a world class d-man.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:53 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:04 pm

I 100% thought this was a bump of a thread when this came up in 2012 or 2011 or 2010. Had no idea this was still a thing.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Letang Crosby Bennett
Kunitz Malkin Neal
Jokinen Sutter Dupuis
Orpik Vitale Engelland
Glass Adams

Scuderi Martin
Maata Bortuzzo
Niskanen Despres
Dumoulin
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slipshod on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:27 pm

if coaches would just force him to play his position, he could be a world class d-man.

I agree but I am going on the assumption that this will not happen for various reasons.

Some of the other points brought up:
I don't worry at all about Letangs instincts for finding open areas or knowing where to go in the offensive zone and don't see how being a winger somehow negates his skating strength. There are plenty of great skating wingers in the league. He has to go in the corners as a D-man so I don't see how "going into the corners" is a negative for him playing winger.

It's not rocket science. It's hockey.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:54 pm

This team can't afford a $7m winger. It can however afford a $7m dman. Better to live and let learn.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby toledomudhen on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:02 pm

YES! He jumps up into the play so well! Great shot. His strengths align well with being a forward and lesson the impacts of his weaknesses. He gives you an immediate improvement up front and the Pens depth is on the back end. Nisky has earned added minutes on the back end. Orpik and Scuds should get minutes.

However... Bortuzzo and Maata looked pretty pedestrian against the Rags, but their short body of work indicates that Wed night may be more of an off day than a true representation of their game. I like what the D bring without Letange, especially with how well Martin is playing.

Kunitz Crosby DuPuis
Letange Malkin Neal
Bennett Sutter Megna
Glass Adams Engo/Vitale

Martin Orpik
Scuds Niskanen
Maata Bortuzzo
toledomudhen

Postby Jim on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:17 pm

Worst $7.5M winger EVER!!!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Wingers do not "jump into the play" - can't fully utilize his multi-directional skating strengths on the wing. And a player that has spent his entire life at defense would not provide an "immediate improvement" at forward. Even switching wings can be difficult for some, as we've seen, much less moving from D to F.

Letang must be uncomfortable or not trusted playing his off side, thus the coaching staff forced the weaker Niskanen to play his off side. No reason to suspect that Letang could play his off wing as a first time forward.

This is all getting a little ridiculous now. We don't have time to be fooling around with this EA Sports nonsense. The coaching staff needs to figure out how to get him to play a tighter brand of defensive hockey at his own position. Not force him to play poorly at two positions and upset the makeup of the team with this hoax of a plan.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:21 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:...if coaches would just force him to play his position, he could be a world class d-man.

Bobby Orr also said in his book that he probably wouldn't be very good if he had to play in today's NHL, as coaches would mold him to play their particular system/style.

Mr. Colby wrote:Letangs biggest problem is that he's a Really dumb Hockey player. Moving him to wing doesn't make that fact go away

:thumb:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:23 pm

mikey287 wrote:
This is all getting a little ridiculous now. We don't have time to be fooling around with this EA Sports nonsense.

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Jim wrote:Worst $7.5M winger EVER!!!

I tend to agree with this. I could be completely wrong, but just can't see it being a good thing.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Does the coaching staff think that he should play more responsibly?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Letangs biggest problem is that he's a Really dumb Hockey player. Moving him to wing doesn't make that fact go away

:thumb:

And even if you tried coaching him, it's not really going anywhere *points to head*
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby scals37 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 pm

this is even more humorous than people advocating breaking up Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins