Game 16 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 16 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:59 pm

- I think it's time for Ray to let Jeffrey get on with the next phase of his career. This is torture for all involved.
- I have serious buyer's remorse on Letang right now.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:02 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:A package trade. Malkin and Neal for Roberto Luongo. 3 birds with 2 stones tied together.

This is a joke, right? :pop:

Sadly, yeah. No way Vancouver does that.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Wah, Wah, Waaaaaaah. :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Dr Rosenrosen wrote:- I think it's time for Ray to let Jeffrey get on with the next phase of his career. This is torture for all involved.

I was hoping they would trade Letang before the draft this past year. Now, I'm not sure the situation with his NTC, if he has one or the extent of it, but that big deal they signed him to alone has not only made him exponentially more difficult to trade, it also would likely reduce the return they'd get for him.

So yes, the very definition of buyer's remorse, I'm afraid.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Granted Jeffrey did not have a good game last night. I'm sure he will see the bench next game, just like D'agostini did after taking two penalties that one game. In the meantime, others making far more money will continue their ways and see no repercussions from HCDB. This team's problems go far beyond Dustin Jeffrey.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Paging Mr. Malkin, Paging Mr. Malkin

Where the eff has he been this year?
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:49 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
Dr Rosenrosen wrote:- I think it's time for Ray to let Jeffrey get on with the next phase of his career. This is torture for all involved.

I was hoping they would trade Letang before the draft this past year. Now, I'm not sure the situation with his NTC, if he has one or the extent of it, but that big deal they signed him to alone has not only made him exponentially more difficult to trade, it also would likely reduce the return they'd get for him.

So yes, the very definition of buyer's remorse, I'm afraid.

I think I might disagree that it will be difficult to trade Letang. His contract is very cap friendly for someone of his abilities. In fact, I remember the NMC to be a big sticking point for Letang's camp because they were afraid of signing a hometown discount and then getting traded. If I recall correctly, I believe the NMC is to only half the teams in the league and he needs to submit that list to the team at the beginning of each season (I might be wrong about the number of teams). And, since the contract hasn't kicked in, he could be traded now (that was also a sticking point. I think I recall Letang trying to add a NMC for this year, to no avail).
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:50 pm

sjnhiils wrote:Granted Jeffrey did not have a good game last night. I'm sure he will see the bench next game, just like D'agostini did after taking two penalties that one game. In the meantime, others making far more money will continue their ways and see no repercussions from HCDB. This team's problems go far beyond Dustin Jeffrey.

Agreed. Dude still would greatly benefit from getting on with his career somewhere else. He has no future with the Pens, IMO.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:59 pm

- Here's a c.r.a.z.y. thought. Reassemble the two headed monster for a period or two. See if you can't break the boys out of their funk.
- Sid is NOT working out on the PK imho. Its worse than last year, and there is no offense from the Sid. Bring up our best pk'er from WBS
- Agree with the Boyle comment earlier. Pens need a big body/banger who can chip in on the top two lines.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Penspal wrote:- Here's a c.r.a.z.y. thought. Reassemble the two headed monster for a period or two. See if you can't break the boys out of their funk.
- Sid is NOT working out on the PK imho. Its worse than last year, and there is no offense from the Sid. Bring up our best pk'er from WBS
- Agree with the Boyle comment earlier. Pens need a big body/banger who can chip in on the top two lines.

Agree on all points here. Sid has been a bit snakebit of late, Geno isn't even getting a whiff. Yes they badly need a big, physical third liner who can score a little and bang people around. That combo would work with either BB and Sutter or Juicy and Sutter, and as you said, he could chip in on the top 2 lines if needed.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bh on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:35 pm

I swear Adams had 6 glorious scoring chances last night. Dude was in the right places. Too bad it was Adams, and not anyone else.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby M10 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Once Neal is back the Malkin line will be fine. It shouldn't be that way in regards to a 9 million dollar a year player, but it's the hand we were dealt. At least there is a bright side.

With that said, what the hell did Neal even do to miss this much time? Upon news of his being injured, it seemed like a 2 game thing.
M10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby M10 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Penspal wrote:- Here's a c.r.a.z.y. thought. Reassemble the two headed monster for a period or two. See if you can't break the boys out of their funk.

There's too many creative aspirations on that power play, not enough desperation. Even with all of the "nifty" players, it's not that hard to defend as you simply stay in shooting lanes as opposed to chasing them around.
M10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Neal returning is no guarantee of Geno playing better.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby M10 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:17 pm

But Neal will score a sh*t load as a result of playing along side Malkin. I agree, he (Malkin) may not play better. He's played sub par in the past while Neal still thrived. Again, it shouldn't be that way with a 9 million a year player... But it is. The bright side being that the line will produce points regardless.
M10
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slipshod on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Wow... There is so much overreaction in this thread. It's one game. Just one week ago they played probably the best I've seen a Pens team play in 20 years.

It's still just one game. They couldn't even make simple clears last night without the puck jumping their sticks. They were one step behind the Rangers in every damn thing they did the last 2 and a half periods. Eh... move on.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Regular season success is whatever, but the team we saw last night is the team that's showed up in the playoffs the past 4 years. Come out blazing, can't score, give up a goal or two and it's lights out. They routinely crumple in front of solid defense and timely goaltending.

There's certainly been some good signs of progress and adjustment this season, but it's still very disconcerting to see that familiar Penguins playoff team show its ugly head. Hopefully though, it gives the coaches more to work with and time to change things around. But it's definitely not "just one of those games."
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sigwolf on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm

pcm wrote:
tfrizz wrote: Every time he plays he has a negative impact on the team.

Like the last game against CBJ, where he assissted on the game winning goal with some stellar board work.

Game winning goal? Sure, by chance. It was an early second period goal of a 3-0 game, not a last minute chance of some tightly-contested back and forth game. The fact that goal became the eventual game winner is one of the many examples of hockey stats that don't tell the whole story.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby smoothmoneyb on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:25 am

As far as Malkin and his slump is concerned, I really feel that this is more of Malkin just being the temperamental player that he has be shown to be over the years as opposed to who his current linemates are. We've seen many periods of hot and cold from him over the years. As for how to fix this, who knows? Even so, Neal coming back should still help the situation. As far as the best linemate to complement those two, I agree that ideally this should be a Kunitz type of player. Even though Sid's line hasn't really looked fantastic since last years playoffs, I still think it's a bit premature to break up that line in order to move Kunitz down to Malkins wing. Megna MIGHT be a decent option. Honestly I think the best bet, whenever Neal returns is to just keep Jokinen on that line. In a way Jokinen and Neal are quite similar players. Although Neal has a bit more skill, they've both got great shots and a overall knack for finding the back of the net, decent play making ability, and are not particularly great at anything else. Even though this might not be the IDEAL construction for 71's line, I think this line could be very effective, especially if Malkin can manage to pick up his play. Having two wingers who are both legitimate threats to score will definitely open things up and create more space for all three players.

Here's another completely unrelated idea. Right now we have a serious lack of forward depth due to injuries. I don't know if we have any idea about Dupuis, or when we can expect a return from Bennett or Neal. Kris Letang's defensive play is subpar. There is no doubt about that (minus the few occasions where he actually makes an honest attempt to play solid defense which is not very often). Soooo.. and you probably know where this is going, why not move Letang to wing for the time being. Try him out on Malkins line, or better yet, let him fill in for Dupuis. I honestly think he would make a better forward than a defenseman. Right now we have plenty of depth on D, so this wouldn't hurt in that regard either (might actually improve it). And allow him to retain his position on the power play. I really don't think it's that crazy of an idea. No more crazy than moving Engalland to foward. And considering the current circumstances, I think it would actually make perfect sense.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Froggy on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:01 am

M10 wrote:But Neal will score a sh*t load as a result of playing along side Malkin. I agree, he (Malkin) may not play better. He's played sub par in the past while Neal still thrived. Again, it shouldn't be that way with a 9 million a year player... But it is. The bright side being that the line will produce points regardless.

Neal does most of his damage on the pp. That line is still probably going to be concentrated meh at even strength.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:27 am

I think Malkin's play has generally been better with bigger bodies or physical grinder types. People like Malone, Talbot, and Kunitz are linemates where he's seemed most effective. He does good with Neal, but that line can and does get shut down. I feel Neal and Jussi with Malkin is NOT a good combination. Who is going to forcheck and do board work? Honestly I still feel it's a confidence/focus issue for Malkin. He needs to drive to the net more as opposed to swooping around it. He's been playing on the perimeter a lot lately. He'll break out of it sooner or later.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:09 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I was willing to keep giving Jeffrey chances until last night. Maybe the over the top hatred i've been reading isn't as far over the top as I previously thought. He should not play again for the Pens. He's good enough to be productive NHLer though. Hopefully the next couple years for him go the same as the last couple have for Letestu.

The rags game really highlighted his problems. He has no transition ability whatsoever. If he has the puck coming out of the zone, or if he has it in the neutral zone...it's more likely than not a turnover.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slipshod on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:57 am

smoothmoneyb wrote:As far as Malkin and his slump is concerned, I really feel that this is more of Malkin just being the temperamental player that he has be shown to be over the years as opposed to who his current linemates are. We've seen many periods of hot and cold from him over the years. As for how to fix this, who knows? Even so, Neal coming back should still help the situation. As far as the best linemate to complement those two, I agree that ideally this should be a Kunitz type of player. Even though Sid's line hasn't really looked fantastic since last years playoffs, I still think it's a bit premature to break up that line in order to move Kunitz down to Malkins wing. Megna MIGHT be a decent option. Honestly I think the best bet, whenever Neal returns is to just keep Jokinen on that line. In a way Jokinen and Neal are quite similar players. Although Neal has a bit more skill, they've both got great shots and a overall knack for finding the back of the net, decent play making ability, and are not particularly great at anything else. Even though this might not be the IDEAL construction for 71's line, I think this line could be very effective, especially if Malkin can manage to pick up his play. Having two wingers who are both legitimate threats to score will definitely open things up and create more space for all three players.

Here's another completely unrelated idea. Right now we have a serious lack of forward depth due to injuries. I don't know if we have any idea about Dupuis, or when we can expect a return from Bennett or Neal. Kris Letang's defensive play is subpar. There is no doubt about that (minus the few occasions where he actually makes an honest attempt to play solid defense which is not very often). Soooo.. and you probably know where this is going, why not move Letang to wing for the time being. Try him out on Malkins line, or better yet, let him fill in for Dupuis. I honestly think he would make a better forward than a defenseman. Right now we have plenty of depth on D, so this wouldn't hurt in that regard either (might actually improve it). And allow him to retain his position on the power play. I really don't think it's that crazy of an idea. No more crazy than moving Engalland to foward. And considering the current circumstances, I think it would actually make perfect sense.

I think your "move Letang to wing" idea should have it's own thread. The more I think about it the more I like it.

Some of the Pens problems = too many quality D for them all to get enough ice time/ not enough skilled forwards/Letang not good at D and can't QB a PP... but he is offensively skilled. Moving Letang to forward helps solve these problems.

Sign me up for this. Get it to Disco Dan right away.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:06 am

Is not as simple as hes good at offense no at defense move him to forward. Its a completely different game. Maybe they should just flip sutter and letang in the lineup.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Leading the division still by a sizeable margin despite all the issues, and there are issues. We are missing a few vital cogs up front and Letang has a few more games before I start to panic on him.

Plenty of positives too, but why talk about those. We just lost a game after winning 4.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins