Game 16 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 16 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:59 am

Pens lose 5-1

- Great Pens start, but 15 straight minutes of good hockey is almost never enough
- Lundquist played great, MAF was meh (2-3 goals were ridiculously fluky, double tip.... c'mon)
- Injuries finally caught up to the Pens. Add SuperDuper to the list (How do you replace Pascal :shock:)
- Maatta/Borts pairing was abused tonight, chalking it up to a bad game for both
- All the "D" seemed to play subpar. Letang needs to be reigned in, stallion-mode = loss
- Powerplay is so frustrating good, yet unproductive & not scoring gives other teams life
- Pens win a bunch, then offer up a stinker like this one (& FLA game earlier in year, long layoff effect?)
- Callups coming
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 16 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Gaucho on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:15 am

I don't know what I'm more tired of, the injuries or the lackluster play and apparent inability to make in-game adjustments.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:18 am

Gaucho wrote:I don't know what I'm more tired of, the injuries or the lackluster play and apparent inability to make in-game adjustments.

How about the above quote times the last 4 years?? Some things never change........that is the Pens way
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:39 am

Gaucho wrote:I don't know what I'm more tired of, the injuries or the lackluster play and apparent inability to make in-game adjustments.

:!:
In St Louis it may finally be Craig Adams turn on the Malkin line. :P :shock: :o

Composure hasn't been an issue this year until the end of the 1st. They had time to discuss how to play the rest of the game. Briefly at 3-1 they were in the game. It was the perimeter penguins at work last night; avoided the goal mouth pain.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:41 am

I expect the Blues to tear the Pens apart and hope to be proven wrong.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:02 am

Malkin had been playing his best games of the season... Blysma moves Megna off his line (for Vitale) and woop, there goes the enchilada.

Can't score. Can't score. This team can't score against teams playing inspired defense.

Same story the past 4 years. But oh wait, we score bunches of goals against crappy teams, so therefor it's definitely Fleury's fault.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:11 am

- Dustin Jeffery had a bad game last night - turn over lead to the boyle goal and he still had a chance to back check and prevent it but was too lazy. Then he cant bury the setup from Craig Adams on the PP, which I cant comprehend why both DJ and CA were out for.
- A couple of those goals were just too lucky a double deflection come on
- If the pens score on one of the early chances maybe the game turns out differently
- Giving up 2 in the final minutes of the first just seemed to crush the entire team mentally
- The Pens entrance to the zone on the PP is horrible with all the skill they have dump and chase is not working for them.
- I feel like the Pens PP had to really work for there passing lanes and chances where on the other hand our PK just sits back and lets the other team move the puck around at will
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:11 am

Bad games happen. This was a bad game. Good thing they have 65 more games left this year.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tanger58 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 am

-Paul Martin played well
- Geno was there but did not play
- MAF looked composed at start but not at end. Fluky goals
- agree with comment pens are afraid to muck it up in front of rags net.(pattern) They will talk about traffic and net front presence but not execute. Hint this "may" help the PP. Change up the players Dan.
- fell asleep by end of game
- DJ sucked
Tanger58
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:17 am

it's only november, so once the rags got into their heads by scoring twice despite being completely dominated, this team decided to pack it in instead of fighting back. that's not awesome, but it's not unheard of either. you can't go full blast all year. i don't think we learned much last night, other than malkin is a slug this year - even by malkin-in-a-funk standards. also, our depth obviously still sucks. if only one line is going to do anything, you might as well just have geno replace dupuis if he's injured.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:24 am

I don't think its fair to say the depth sucks until bennett and Neal are both back. If the second line is complete, everyone shifts down a line and there is a good chance that the third line suddenly looks better. I don't know if that will mean Malkin gets any better though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:27 am

the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:31 am

If Dupuis is out, hopefully Bennett takes his spot... and never looks back. Dupuis has not been great this season with Sid, but he adds an element to our 3rd line that Bennett doesn't. I think both players would look better in those roles.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:34 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think its fair to say the depth sucks until bennett and Neal are both back. If the second line is complete, everyone shifts down a line and there is a good chance that the third line suddenly looks better. I don't know if that will mean Malkin gets any better though.

well we needed to sign chuck kobasew just to fill our our 3rd line even when we were healthy, so it's not exactly unfair either.

but your point is taken. injuries are going to screw with any team.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:35 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think its fair to say the depth sucks until bennett and Neal are both back. If the second line is complete, everyone shifts down a line and there is a good chance that the third line suddenly looks better. I don't know if that will mean Malkin gets any better though.

The second line was terrible last year too, and Iginla > Jokinen. It won't "look complete" until Malkin has a Kuntiz-type on his line. So long as we're a one-line team, our offense is going to look like a 3-legged giraffe..
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TwoSheds on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:52 am

Bye-bye Jeffery (I hope).
I thought HCDB benched him after the giveaway/Boylewatch, but I guess the P.D. injury gave him a second chance.

pack yo bags!!
TwoSheds
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:53 am

PensHckyFan79 wrote:-
- Giving up 2 in the final minutes of the first just seemed to crush the entire team mentally

This is what bothers me the most about last night's game. They seemed stunned that the "lowly" Rangers could do this to them after they controlled play for most of the first, and never recovered.

I give Fleury a pass. Those goals weren't his fault, the team in front of him was terrible.

Dustin Jeffrey - never dress him again.

Team d weak overall. And lots of mishandling of the puck.

Letang seems to have regressed defensively since last season. Not like he was the king of D last season.

Malkin REALLY misses Neal. He just doesn't seem to be able to get a rhythm going with anyone else.

Maatta had some rough moments last night. He gets a pass though, he is still young and learning. He'll realize his weaknesses and mistakes. Unlike 58, who seems to learn nothing.

If Duper is out for a long time...yikes!
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:54 am

Yeah, Letang is pretty much indefensible at this point.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:58 am

I don't understand Dustin Jeffrey. He has some skill and appears to be an all-around sound player, but he just seems completely disinterested in securing a spot for good.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:01 am

Gaucho wrote:I don't understand Dustin Jeffrey. He has some skill and appears to be an all-around sound player, but he just seems completely disinterested in securing a spot for good.

One of the local sportwriters noted he hasn't been the same since his knee injury. Maybe it still bothers him physically, or mentally.

Either way, he just isn't a viable option anymore.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:07 am

my uneducated eye sees a guy who feels like he has a lot to offer, but isn't getting an opportunity to show it. so he tries to make an impact with risky plays when he sees even a glimmer of daylight - and inevitably screws up.

i think he could get minutes on a bad team. for his sake, i hope he gets that chance.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:15 am

DJ has totally lost his confidence. Plays afraid to make a mistake (and thus makes more than he should). If he was playing the way he did before his knee injury, he'd have buried that last night. He's hit a bunch of posts this year, which basically sumarizes his career. Almost.

It wouldn't be a terrible idea for DB to dress him one more game, to give him an opportunity to come back from a really bad game, as it happens to everyone. But Jeffrey's not shown any willingness to earn a spot this year, so I don't know if he's got it in him anymore.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:19 am

Oh, and while I know he was trying to generate something (esp when Duper was lost), HCDB's line changes were bordering on schizophrenic.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Cu11en on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:22 am

PensHckyFan79 wrote:-
- The Pens entrance to the zone on the PP is horrible with all the skill they have dump and chase is not working for them.
- I feel like the Pens PP had to really work for there passing lanes and chances where on the other hand our PK just sits back and lets the other team move the puck around at will

This is pretty accurate. The Pens PP's seemed like 5-on-5 and way too crowded at the Rangers' end. The Rangers challenged constantly, beginning with the entrance to the zone. This led to the aforementioned dump-and-chases which basically were turnovers and subsequent clears.

Conversely (and not that the Rangers' PP was cashing in), but the Pens PK unit was huddled in front of Fleury, leading to the cycling that we are not seeing from our guys.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:27 am

I was willing to keep giving Jeffrey chances until last night. Maybe the over the top hatred i've been reading isn't as far over the top as I previously thought. He should not play again for the Pens. He's good enough to be productive NHLer though. Hopefully the next couple years for him go the same as the last couple have for Letestu.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins