Apparently Saturday night...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:02 pm

So should Lange's saying be changes to: "It's a hockey night in Pittsburgh, just not on Saturdays." :face:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Beveridge wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:If you whining season ticket holders want to rid yourselves of your tickets because there are no Saturday game Go ahead. Nobody will care. And someone will take your place in those seats. That is the way it is and the rest of the story

Off-topic, but this gif goes really well with "Safety Dance".

Back on topic, you're going to have to suck it up when it comes to Saturday night games. It's impossible to please everyone.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:51 pm

As someone who works downtown, I actually prefer weeknight games. I'm already here; I just walk up to the game. And my weeknights are pretty free. I spend my weekends doing chores, shopping, cooking, etc., so it's actually harder for me to get to weekend games. I particularly detest games on Sunday, and especially Sunday night.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:So should Lange's saying be changes to: "It's a hockey night in Pittsburgh, just not on Saturdays." :face:

BEPF

For day games, he says "It's a great day for hockey...."
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:03 pm

PghSkins wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:So should Lange's saying be changes to: "It's a hockey night in Pittsburgh, just not on Saturdays." :face:

BEPF

Actually that quote should be attributed to Bob Johnson.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
PghSkins wrote:

BEPF

Actually that quote should be attributed to Bob Johnson.

BEPF

So lange doesnt say it?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PAPLine on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Go down to Neville Island on Saturday night and see the Colonials, then catch the Pens replay on Root. Best of both worlds, live hockey and the Pens.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dietz on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:32 am

longtimefan wrote:This was actullay addressed by the league briefly before last season. The full 82 game schedlue had no Saturday night games for the first time in the Pens history. They explained that all teams submit some preferred dates, but the league wants to maximize attendance for teams that struggle. The Pens have two things working against them. First, they are one of the top road draws in the league, ensuring good Saturday night crowds in markets that struggle. Second, the league isn't concerned about when the Pens play at home, since they sell out all their games anyway. The schedule is a byproduct of the team's success. Penguin fans get the shaft.

but the Canadian teams get Saturday nights for hockey night in Canada...so attendance is not only reason
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:29 pm

longtimefan wrote:This was actullay addressed by the league briefly before last season. The full 82 game schedlue had no Saturday night games for the first time in the Pens history. They explained that all teams submit some preferred dates, but the league wants to maximize attendance for teams that struggle. The Pens have two things working against them. First, they are one of the top road draws in the league, ensuring good Saturday night crowds in markets that struggle. Second, the league isn't concerned about when the Pens play at home, since they sell out all their games anyway. The schedule is a byproduct of the team's success. Penguin fans get the shaft.

I think this is spot on. But I for one will stop right here with the complaining...lest I start sounding like your typical Redwings fans who routinely put themselves up on the cross for crap like this.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Beveridge wrote:If having the best player in the world (again) and other stars, lots of wins, playoffs, and other things not mentioned is getting the shaft, I never want to be not shafted.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:15 pm

Id happily trade the pens being good with being able to see them more than 2-3 times a year while using vacation.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Id happily trade the pens being good with being able to see them more than 2-3 times a year while using vacation.

Luckily you're laid-off pop
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghThing on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:46 pm

dietz wrote:

but the Canadian teams get Saturday nights for hockey night in Canada...so attendance is not only reason

QFT Canadian teams are exempt from this "special treatment"
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:48 am

CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby since1970 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:03 am

the league scheduled a lot of Saturday games for the Penguins when they were a bad hockey team to boost attendance, and that was for years, so I guess it's time to pay back.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins