Apparently Saturday night...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:07 pm

...is not "A Hockey Night in Pittsburgh". Last night the Pens played their 2nd of 8 consecutive Saturday night games, none of which were/are in Pittsburgh. Now for me, (since I live in New Orleans) this really doesn't matter. But it seems like Saturday night is taboo for hockey in the Burgh. What's up with that? :?:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,523
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Michael Scott on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:45 pm

It really, for lack of a better word, sucks. The one day of the week where most people don't have to rush from work to make the face off and/or have to worry about getting home at a reasonable hour or not drinking too much because they have to get up for work the next day, and they can't schedule a single night game on that day. I really don't understand it. Is this the NHL's or Pens call?
Michael Scott
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:06 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby CERV96 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Too many yuppie season ticket holders don't like drunks. Same goes for the 7 PM start so the fans can't tailgate or drink cheep booze at Milano, Shales, or super bowl

:pop:
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,520
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:35 pm

CERV96 wrote:Too many yuppie season ticket holders don't like drunks. Same goes for the 7 PM start so the fans can't tailgate or drink cheep booze at Milano, Shales, or super bowl

:pop:


So you're saying that the STHs have voiced their opinions to the Pens and the Pens gave them their way? Why would the Pens STHs have so much power? Do they not have uppie STHs in Toronto, Columbus, St Louis, Newark, Montreal, Miami, Boston, and Detroit? Methinks there must be some other reason why there is no Pens hockey in Pittsburgh on Saturday nights. Maybe I'll tweet the guys in the booth the next game on TV and ask them this question.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,523
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby KBone on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:41 pm

I'd wager that they know attendance isn't an issue in Pittsburgh, so they send the Penguins on the road to play in other arenas on Saturdays so they can be an out of town draw.

Fair? Not really. But thems the breaks. I'm not a fan of it since I have to come from so far out of town for games.

When the Penguins were terrible in the early 2000s, I believe there were a lot of home Saturday games.
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Not Pittsburgh : (

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Shaky Walton on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 pm

The reason that there are very few Saturday games it that this team sells out no matter what day it plays In the past the team would insist on Saturday because they knew they would get a better crowd Now that they have a waiting list and sellout every game, it doesn't matter to them whether they play at 3 in the morning or whatever Plenty of teams around the league need the Saturday games more than the Pens
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby no name on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Yes its all about attendance, Pens are a huge draw around the league and Saturday nights are the nights they expect sellouts. So for any low draw team to have the pens in their building on a Saturday night is good for the league. But does kinda suck for the Pens not having to many home dates on Saturday.

And as other have mentioned the pens will sellout any day of the week.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,669
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby CERV96 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
CERV96 wrote:Too many yuppie season ticket holders don't like drunks. Same goes for the 7 PM start so the fans can't tailgate or drink cheep booze at Milano, Shales, or super bowl

:pop:


So you're saying that the STHs have voiced their opinions to the Pens and the Pens gave them their way? Why would the Pens STHs have so much power? Do they not have uppie STHs in Toronto, Columbus, St Louis, Newark, Montreal, Miami, Boston, and Detroit? Methinks there must be some other reason why there is no Pens hockey in Pittsburgh on Saturday nights. Maybe I'll tweet the guys in the booth the next game on TV and ask them this question.

BEPF


Was a joke brah, didn't you see the

:pop: ?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,520
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby lifetimefan on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:10 pm

KBone wrote:I'd wager that they know attendance isn't an issue in Pittsburgh, so they send the Penguins on the road to play in other arenas on Saturdays so they can be an out of town draw.

Fair? Not really. But thems the breaks. I'm not a fan of it since I have to come from so far out of town for games.

When the Penguins were terrible in the early 2000s, I believe there were a lot of home Saturday games.



You nailed it. We are a moneymaker for the home time. As long as we are loaded with studs get used to Saturday in front of the tv for Pens hockey.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:49 pm

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Michael Scott on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Even if that's so, why are the few Saturday games they do have scheduled in the afternoon? There aren't a lot this year but it seems in years past there were a lot of Saturday afternoon home games.
Michael Scott
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:06 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Beveridge on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Saturday afternoon games are usually national games on NHL network so they don't compete against Hockey Night in Canada later that night. Pens are also a big TV draw.

*This is pure speculation, but I'm willing to bet that there is some truth, if not full truth, to the statement.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,801
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Shaky Walton on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:00 am

For those of us who go way back when things were not as good as now, the Pens fought for the Wed and Saturday games really hard It was something they needed to get the attendance up. Now they are the attraction and could play any day of the week any time of the day and still be successful That is the way it is and isn't going to change anytime soon. They are probably the best road team draw in the league right now. And the Penguins management fully understands and agrees with that. It is like some people on this board say Supply and demand It rules, like it or not.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby knives of ice on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:32 am

there are 3 saturday games left the entire rest of the year. it is definitely a bit ridiculous. also, i hate that some of the sunday games are at 730 even after football is over.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,546
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: good riddance Armstrong

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:22 am

I've definitely noticed it in recent seasons, quite frustrating when trying to plan a trip cross-state to see the Pens.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,701
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby ffemtreed on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:41 am

As an out of towner I used to love the weekends where they had two afternoon games around 3:00pm on Sat and Sun. I really have been to Pittsburgh since they stopped having those on the schedule. I used to be able to pack 3 games into a trip to the burgh if they had a thurs, Sat Sun, or a Sat Sun Tuesday game. and only miss a day or two of work.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,671
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Shaky Walton on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:08 am

Some teams never have Saturday as a home date Chicago Philly Ny Rangers Boston all had Sunday as their prime day for games Also Detroit
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby penny lane on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:46 am

TGIFPG~ I love the friday night hockey!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,740
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: juju land

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Trade Crosby for more saturday home games!!!!
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,140
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby no name on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:54 pm

CERV96 wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
CERV96 wrote:Too many yuppie season ticket holders don't like drunks. Same goes for the 7 PM start so the fans can't tailgate or drink cheep booze at Milano, Shales, or super bowl

:pop:


So you're saying that the STHs have voiced their opinions to the Pens and the Pens gave them their way? Why would the Pens STHs have so much power? Do they not have uppie STHs in Toronto, Columbus, St Louis, Newark, Montreal, Miami, Boston, and Detroit? Methinks there must be some other reason why there is no Pens hockey in Pittsburgh on Saturday nights. Maybe I'll tweet the guys in the booth the next game on TV and ask them this question.

BEPF


Was a joke brah, didn't you see the

:pop: ?


There could be some truth to this though. The Steelers have been trying for years to find a way to slow down the tailgating that goes on around the stadium for years. Something about the games being a family oriented event. I doubt STH have a voice with this. But you know Mario and Burkle fashion the hockey games as family friendly events.

Now i am just guessing but it could be a factor.

Nothing short of a 8 am game will slow down the drunks lol.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,669
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby longtimefan on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:43 pm

This was actullay addressed by the league briefly before last season. The full 82 game schedlue had no Saturday night games for the first time in the Pens history. They explained that all teams submit some preferred dates, but the league wants to maximize attendance for teams that struggle. The Pens have two things working against them. First, they are one of the top road draws in the league, ensuring good Saturday night crowds in markets that struggle. Second, the league isn't concerned about when the Pens play at home, since they sell out all their games anyway. The schedule is a byproduct of the team's success. Penguin fans get the shaft.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 pm

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Beveridge on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:11 pm

If having the best player in the world (again) and other stars, lots of wins, playoffs, and other things not mentioned is getting the shaft, I never want to be not shafted.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,801
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:33 pm

I think it's all Bylsma's fault. He's got to go. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Shaky Walton on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:32 pm

If you whining season ticket holders want to rid yourselves of your tickets because there are no Saturday game Go ahead. Nobody will care. And someone will take your place in those seats. That is the way it is and the rest of the story
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby mac5155 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:35 pm

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,204
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Apparently Saturday night...

Postby Beveridge on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:If you whining season ticket holders want to rid yourselves of your tickets because there are no Saturday game Go ahead. Nobody will care. And someone will take your place in those seats. That is the way it is and the rest of the story


Image
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,801
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Admin, Cu11en, Hawkeynut, Hugo Stiglitz, Mad City Mike, Penspal, rgj, Staggy, Stoosh, SubtropicalPenguin, zeke5123 and 33 guests

e-mail