Game 15 vs. Columbus - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 15 vs. Columbus - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:23 am

Pens win 3-0

- Congrats to J-Z for his first NHL win, AND first NHL shutout (congrats to 13 LGP'ers who predicted this in the Pens Prediction Poll thread)
- Seemed to be a continued improvement defensively from the night before. JZ was not really tested much
- Martin & co are like robots on D, beautiful to see.
- Jeffrey was noticeable (and even gritty!). Made several nice plays, including one on the game winner by Engy.
- Having little to no cap room was was evident in this game. Glass played banged up, & wouldn't it be good if CFA had a day off once & a while? Wear & tear adds up.
- Pens 1st in the East, trail Col, SJ & Anaheim overall
- Sid got a point late, holds the scoring lead by 3 pts over Stamkos
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 15 vs. Columbus - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:06 am

80 views, no reply. That's the kind of game it was. Solid road win, so no complaints.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:14 am

Columbus clearly came out with the intention of playing a more cautious, slow-paced game, since the night before, when both teams racked up tons of shots, didn't work out for them. The Pens, to their credit, adjusted their game to match and took advantage of limited opportunities and a fortuitous own goal.

If I have to reach for something critical to say, I thought Megna looked a bit worse last night...some bad turnovers, puck wandering off his stick, etc. The skating was still there, but he wasn't very good with the puck.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:21 am

This was a team defensive win. Holding CBJ to under 20 shots and few scoring chances. JZ wasn't really tested a lot this time. How big was the Jacques Martin signing? This is the best defense we've had since the 09 cup and we're still not healthy. Pretty great stuff from the back end thus far.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:45 am

For me, the most important thing about this game was the win for JZ. Lord knows he needed it, and the team recognized that and was committed to playing solid defense in front of him. The shutout was icing on the cake.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:52 am

If they played like that because z needed a win, they need to get their heads out of their asses and play like that every game. The team isnt a contender until they can consistently do that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If they played like that because z needed a win, they need to get their heads out of their asses and play like that every game. The team isnt a contender until they can consistently do that.

:thumb:

This game and the win against the Bruins was encouraging in that regard. We all know the Pens can win a 7-6 game if needed. Their weakness was the inability to win the types of games they won this past week.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:If they played like that because z needed a win, they need to get their heads out of their asses and play like that every game. The team isnt a contender until they can consistently do that.

Way down the road in May, it would be cool for the penguins to be comfortable at playing shutdown against the Capitals or whoever. To be the team forcing others to stick with a game that won't work and/or not being able to make proper adjustments. But, of course this is the blue jackets. The pens needs to continue playing this style against highly skilled teams. They will have to embrace this style of play as the season goes along. Or, it was just to help Zats get a victory.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:43 pm

No doubt about it. It’s all well and good to pull together as a team and support the goalie--and I’m sure glad they did it--but this needs to be their mindset all game, every game.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mariojr on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:04 pm

How about Deryk Engelland playing forward? I think that's looking like a good move. Even with Scuderi hurt, the Pens have plenty of depth at defense. I know people wanted to trade Niskanen (I thought they would), but he's staying put for the foreseeable future. Engelland at FW means they're not overworking the other D-men when he goes off for 5 min. Plus, it looks like he has some offensive skills, at least the ability to get to a good spot and fire the one-timer. I don't expect a 2 goal every 5 game pace from him, but he doesn't look lost at FW. Finally, if one of the other D-men gets hurt or ejected, Engo can move back to D. It's like having a 7th D-man, only he's playing FW.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sniper on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:12 pm

-Zatkoff got the shutout Fleury deserved the night before, when the team defense seemed to be stand around and watch.
-Jeffrey played well again.
-Both teams were intent on playing well defensively. Pens simply have more talent and it showed on the score board.
-That hit on Letang could have been much worse injury wise.
-Geno has played better the last few games.
-I feel same when Maatta and Bortuzzo are on the ice and when Sutter is on the ice.
-Engelland sniper? He's like a very poor man's Kunitz. Straight up and down the ice, hit hard, and get to the front of the net. When they play Boston I'd put him on Sid's line and give him the job of making Chara's life hell. Dump it to his corner and let Engelland hammer him all game. Move Kunitz to Malkin's line and improve it.

The team needs to play D like that every night. If they do with Fleury playing the way he has been and they will lead the league in shutouts. Seems to be how Colorado is getting the job done.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:14 pm

I don't know, if they can feel like they have to play better D because of an inferior goalie, maybe J-Z should be #1? Just sayin'.

I'm bored.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ShaPe on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:06 pm

After 15 games I think the unsung hero has been Bortuzzo. I'm so impressed by his play and his reach is great to have back there.
It would be a shame if he got scratched when/IF everyone is healthy but it's a good problem to have.
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:43 pm

ShaPe wrote:After 15 games I think the unsung hero has been Bortuzzo. I'm so impressed by his play and his reach is great to have back there.
It would be a shame if he got scratched when/IF everyone is healthy but it's a good problem to have.

You're either scratching him or Maatta, so while that's not an ideal situation, it's a pretty good problem to have (as you said).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby toledomudhen on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:41 pm

* Steigy and Errey miss so much of the game they are hard to listen too. When they love someone they can't stop effusing praise, ie. Maata (Who has played well). They literally praised him last night for a ring around. They miss blocks and steals all the time and fail to credit players with play. I can't believe how so many of the little plays that happen in a game go unnoticed. They love flash, the miss substance. And they LOVE Letange.

* Sid plays hard every night! So do the pens. Sid is a great by example!

* It is nice to have Engo on the ice, period.

* Jeffery takes way too much crap on this forum.

* Powerplay is best when someone enters the middle of the ice. 3-2 umbrella does not serve the pens well, and when opportunities open up there is almost always a Pen in the high slot

* Paul Martin does not get enough credit. He brakes the puck out clean and direct and wins corner battles and gets the PP into the zone on breakouts often, great penalty killer. Pens best all around.

* Stop hating on Orpik, he is tough smart and efficient and tough

* Goaltending situation looks better every day.

* Niskanen has played really well!, Love Bortuzzo has been as well

* Pens are fun to watch almost every night.

GO PENS!
toledomudhen

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Only thing I can add is: Zatkoff's nickname is Zats, as per Neil's tweet last night.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Just got back from Columbus. Never seen that many Pens fans in another city. Was an awesome experience.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:54 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Only thing I can add is: Zatkoff's nickname is Zats, as per Neil's tweet last night.

hockey players are so creative
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Eismann on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Pens have had problems getting quality chances. Possession is ok, but it's perimeter stuff for the most part. Neal and Bennett can't get back soon enough.

Olli makes a lot of little rookie mistakes, but not many big ones. Good so far.

Zatkoff not really challenged seriously. Did make some nice saves.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:27 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Only thing I can add is: Zatkoff's nickname is Zats, as per Neil's tweet last night.

But after his first game it was Koff.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KBone on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Bioshock wrote:Just got back from Columbus. Never seen that many Pens fans in another city. Was an awesome experience.

Same. Just looking around it was hard to find a section that wasn't flooded with Pens fans.

Awesome experience, indeed!
KBone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Nickname of Zats is rejected in favor of JZ
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:03 pm

wondermoose wrote:Nickname of Zats is rejected in favor of JZ

Does he have to have a nickname?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:42 pm

KBone wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Just got back from Columbus. Never seen that many Pens fans in another city. Was an awesome experience.

Same. Just looking around it was hard to find a section that wasn't flooded with Pens fans.

Awesome experience, indeed!

I will be making this trip every year from now on. So impressed with the city and Jackets fans. Everyone was nice. Everyone was personable. Just awesome.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby nocera on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:09 pm

I absolutely love that arena and the Arena District. Not only is the area surrounding the arena better than Pittsburgh, but the arena itself is better than Consol. Super wide concourses, beautiful sight lines, clear glass acting as safety barriers instead of bars. Just a great place to watch a hockey game.

Not to mention every single Columbus fan I encountered was very welcoming and classy. Seriously considering attending the All Star festivities in 2015.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins