Game 14 vs. Columbus - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 14 vs. Columbus - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:15 am

Pens win 4-2

- MAF played a strong game, key to the victory
- Megna gets another goal 8-) To me, he looks good but its Malkin & Jokinen who should get the credit
- Malkin on his horse is a thing of beauty. Grace, Speed, Strength, Skill .... when Neal returns, let the REAL assault on the league begin
- On the Roots feed, the "Let's Go Pens" chants were as intense as a playoff game. New mic setup or was it really that frequent/loud?
- Sutter is playing great hockey. I really think he's raised his game to the next level
- Glass played strong and hate to think he might miss some time (can't believe I'm saying this, spits crow feather out of teeth)
- Dusty J (never plays, looks rusty/dusty) got a penalty last night, dude's digging himself deeper and deeper into the doghouse
- combo of Glass injury and DJ's penalty means I expect a call-up :pop: (I'd like to see a grinder get a chance - Sill/Farnham/Uher)
- Foligno's solid hit on Crosby's head was barely legal & cheap. This goes back to Foligno's days in Ottawa. Foligno will be called to dance tonight
- Praying Sid does not get rattled from that, but he's got to be careful, if that was Downie, Ovechkin, Carcillo, etc etc etc it would be :scared:
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 14 vs. Columbus - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Shakes on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:44 am

Penspal wrote:Pens win 4-2

- MAF played a strong game, key to the victory
- Megna gets another goal 8-) To me, he looks good but its Malkin & Jokinen who should get the credit
- Malkin on his horse is a thing of beauty. Grace, Speed, Strength, Skill .... when Neal returns, let the REAL assault on the league begin
- On the Roots feed, the "Let's Go Pens" chants were as intense as a playoff game. New mic setup or was it really that frequent/loud?
- Sutter is playing great hockey. I really think he's raised his game to the next level
- Glass played strong and hate to think he might miss some time (can't believe I'm saying this, spits crow feather out of teeth)
- Dusty J (never plays, looks rusty/dusty) got a penalty last night, dude's digging himself deeper and deeper into the doghouse
- combo of Glass injury and DJ's penalty means I expect a call-up :pop: (I'd like to see a grinder get a chance - Sill/Farnham/Uher)
- Foligno's solid hit on Crosby's head was barely legal & cheap. This goes back to Foligno's days in Ottawa. Foligno will be called to dance tonight
- Praying Sid does not get rattled from that, but he's got to be careful, if that was Downie, Ovechkin, Carcillo, etc etc etc it would be :scared:

Glass - yep, everything you want from a bottom 6 forward. Great battle and stick lift on JJ to allow Sutter in for his goal. Hope it's something minor.

It'll be a strange season with the injuries and the Division being so weak. I imagine we'll see a lot of these meh games with exhibition-level intensity.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:56 am

Thoughts? Wish I could have watched the game, but Comcast decided to wait until 11 to restore my service.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:22 am

- Megna is doing what needs to be done on Malkin's line: go to the net
- Really strong game from Fleury
- Columbus carried the play and we spent too much time standing around our own zone being passive. Good thing Fleury was strong and Bob wasn't or we could have easily lost this game
- Don't break up Maatta and Bortuzzo. It works.
- How many goals does Sutter score screaming down the right side? If I'm a goaltender that's my biggest fear when facing the Pens.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shaky Walton on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:36 am

You realize that when you have Communistcast you are supporting Ed Snider (owner) and the Flyers Get a satellite feed like Directv that supports the Pens You get what you pay for and deserve with communistcast Ha
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby the wicked child on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:You realize that when you have Communistcast you are supporting Ed Snider (owner) and the Flyers Get a satellite feed like Directv that supports the Pens You get what you pay for and deserve with communistcast Ha

Because I clearly have Comcast because I WANT to? Some people live in apartment complexes with limited options.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:44 pm

-The Pens have officially ruined Dustin Jeffrey's career. He had a good run, got injured, then was relegated to swing forward and not allowed to continue developing his game. He was doing a veteran journeyman's job when he should have been in the minors, playing every night. For this, I am sad, and I hope he gets the Letestu deal.

-Kris Letang. Wow. Not that the Pens were fantastic last night, but the two goals scored against were a direct result of him not being vigilant. First, failed to cover his man at the side of the net. Second, he chased the puck to the next player and forgot about the guy he was covering. Maatta's meteoric rise and Pouliot's offensive prowess make Letang's contract look like a bigger and bigger albatross, and it's disturbing to consider that this is Shero's only season to decide whether he's going to grow out of it or not before that <conceivably> untradeable contract kicks in.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:45 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:You realize that when you have Communistcast you are supporting Ed Snider (owner) and the Flyers Get a satellite feed like Directv that supports the Pens You get what you pay for and deserve with communistcast Ha

I cant tell if you are a parody account or not, but i read your posts as if you are.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Seems to me that Jeffrey would benefit from a trade to get his career back on track.

I really think that Jussi Jokinen has found a home here. I hope we re-sign him.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcmforless on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

I cant tell if you are a parody account or not, but i read your posts as if you are.

Speaking of Philly... they goon up their game last night and end up with one of their players with a bad concussion, Lecavalier with facial injuries and out for a little bit and yet, the stupid media there picked Emery for the 3rd star with a stat line of 11 saves and a .733 save percentage... in a 7-0 loss.... Yeah, he kicked the heck out of the opposing goalie in a fight (guess which one of them has training in fighting), but I can't believe they chose him as the 3rd star as opposed to Holtby in a shutout. What a classless organization, media group and city in general.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:15 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Seems to me that Jeffrey would benefit from a trade to get his career back on track.

I dont think theyll be able to afford to re-sign jokinen.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Jokinin will take a hometown discount to play with Maatta.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:27 pm

I've seen more penguins playing in the paint~ love it!
Pens have a few days off after tonight, they need to go with Flower again tonight.
On Evgeni's shot; I thought it was in, but when I saw 7-eyed Sid playing on knew he didn't see the puck cross the line.
Good win; they beat Bob at the Consol.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:Seems to me that Jeffrey would benefit from a trade to get his career back on track.

Now that his production is starting to match his salary, do you think he will command much of a raise? I'd like to get him to a Dupuis/Kunitz type of deal.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

I do. I think the cap will rise significantly. He will probably get a 3 year 3.5 million dollar offer similar to duper or kunitz. He definitely belongs on a line with Geno.

As for Letang... I still am reserving my full opinion until he gets a few more games under his belt. So far it has not been pretty, but the rust was to be expected. Both Borts and Olli are really opening some eyes on how defense should be played. Who would have thought two rookies would be in many ways outplaying 5+ year veterans. They both seem to be able to just make the simple plays to get the puck out of the zone. You know, defense.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Really surprised at the love for Jokinen. He's a pretty servicable player no doubt, and is nice to have around as he can fill in anywhere, but on a fully healthy roster, what's his role? He's filling the shooter role on Malkin's line, but when Neal comes back, I dont see Jokinen working out very well there. He wilts along the boards and doesn't create space for his linemates. He was invisible in the playoffs when the checking becomes tighter. Those 2 need a guy who drives the net and can fish the puck out from the trenches, who opens up room for Malkin and Neal to work their magic. Sure Jokinen has the ability to read off Malkin, but that's about it.

He could play finisher on a 3rd line I suppose. But I definitely wouldn't give him a raise for it.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:13 pm

pcm wrote:Really surprised at the love for Jokinen. He's a pretty servicable player no doubt, and is nice to have around as he can fill in anywhere, but on a fully healthy roster, what's his role? .

This isn't a serious question, is it? Craig Adams is playing 3rd line minutes.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby The U on Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Maatta continues to get the spotlight but let's continue to give props to Bortuzzo.

He's big, he has that long reach, plays physical, fights, joins the rush, kills penalties, etc... He's not part of the Pouliot, Harrington, Despres, Maatta, Samuelsson, etc crew but he has been great. Kind of unheralded but he is exactly what we need on defense.

In this Shero/Bylsma era where the only thing they want from their defensemen is guys who can pass, he is a really nice addition and does stuff that many of the other D in the system can't.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:36 pm

The U wrote:Maatta continues to get the spotlight but let's continue to give props to Bortuzzo.

He's big, he has that long reach, plays physical, fights, joins the rush, kills penalties, etc... He's not part of the Pouliot, Harrington, Despres, Maatta, Samuelsson, etc crew but he has been great. Kind of unheralded but he is exactly what we need on defense.

In this Shero/Bylsma era where the only thing they want from their defensemen is guys who can pass, he is a really nice addition and does stuff that many of the other D in the system can't.

That Robert Bortuzzo; he's hot. :wink: 8-)
Spoiler:
Raychul Dugless ‏@RachelD8710 5h @rbontuzzo21 and Beau Bennett....I have no words pic.twitter.com/mnUX36KG9e Image
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:37 pm

I wish I hadn't clicked.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby TrueNorth on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Oh, the horror! I only hope that time will eventually erase this image from my mind--and it can’t happen soon enough.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:56 pm

Country Club
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:59 pm

columbia wrote:I wish I hadn't clicked.