Game 13 vs. Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 13 vs. Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby pens_CT on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:49 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Megna is going to be sent back down once Bennett and Neal comeback.

LOL. You really enjoy sending people back to juniors or WBS when they look like they maybe able to contribute at the NHL level.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:55 pm

That makes sense, if you think D'Agostini and Jeffrey have a near term future with the Pens.
Not sure why someone would, however.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:02 pm

columbia wrote:That makes sense, if you think D'Agostini and Jeffrey have a near term future with the Pens.
Not sure why someone would, however.

Dupuis-Crosby-Malkin
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Kobasew-Sutter-Bennett
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Scratch: Engelland, etc.

That's the lineup, when healthy.

I just think people are a little premature with the Megna love. It's only been 2 games.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:20 pm

If Megna keeps up his play, no chance he gets sent down. There's a big difference between his play and Boychuck (which btw I was never a fan of). In 3 games he's looked better than Kobasew or D'Agostini, and I'd even say Jokinen. They'll simply get rid of Jeffrey, D'Agostini, to make room.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:21 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Megna is going to be sent back down once Bennett and Neal comeback.

LOL. You really enjoy sending people back to juniors or WBS when they look like they maybe able to contribute at the NHL level.

I'm sorry I think people are getting ahead of themselves, especially after 2 games.

People did the same thing with Zach Boychuk last year (I was one, and I learned my lesson). Unless Kobasew is going to be out longer than expected, there really isn't room for Megna when everyone is healthy.

I don't really see why you see that as a problem. If you don't like it, tough ****.

When everybody is healthy, when has that happened since 2009? Megna isn't a lock after two games to stick in the NHL, nor is he the first forward getting moved off the roster either if he maintains close to his current level of performance.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:30 pm

lol
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:50 pm

D'Agostini has played 1 game, right?
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:19 pm

Kobasew isn't good. If he was, he wouldn't have come here in the fashion he did. Jeffrey isn't good. Dagostini isn't good. It's only a shiny new toy situation if the toy he is replacing is of any quality whatsoever. With that said, I think the team likes Kobasew better so he will stay. But it's not sensationalistic to think Megna "should" stay. If only because the alternatives are a collective bag of garbage.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:41 pm

It's useless to talk about what the lineup will be like when everyone is healthy. Neal, for one, is supposedly "week-to-week" still. He won't be back anytime soon. We've been talking about what moves they'll need to make when they have a healthy lineup all season and I'm guessing we'll still be having that discussion months from now. Even if everyone currently injured does make it back, chances are someone else gets hurt in the meantime.

That said I agree that it's too early to make an assessment on Megna. He's looked good, but it's only been a few games. He wouldn't be the first person to get shot out of a cannon but not be able to keep it up. But it's all the same, no reason to get ahead of ourselves. He's here for now and if he continues to impress, he's going to stay. They're not going to send a contributing player down just because he doesn't have to go through waivers. If they do face a roster crunch but he's proving that he should stay, they can easily trade/waive Jeffrey or D'Agostini or Kobasew. Those guys are filler.

Hopefully he keeps this up. They need people to step up to round out the bottom of their forward depth and give them 3rd/4th lines that can contribute in the playoffs, he so far looks like exactly what they need.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:03 pm

shmenguin wrote:Kobasew isn't good. If he was, he wouldn't have come here in the fashion he did.

That's not entirely true. This years cap crunch really hurt players like Kobasew. The middle class players had a hard time getting new contracts from teams. Just because a guy forced his way onto a roster after signing a PTO doesn't mean he isn't a quality NHLer player. That's a pretty big blanket to throw over a lot of NHLers.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pfim on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:41 am

pcm wrote:If Megna keeps up his play, no chance he gets sent down. There's a big difference between his play and Boychuck (which btw I was never a fan of). In 3 games he's looked better than Kobasew or D'Agostini, and I'd even say Jokinen. They'll simply get rid of Jeffrey, D'Agostini, to make room.

It's still just three games though. At any rate, there's no need to make a judgment at this moment, one way or the other.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:48 am

I have been surprised at how quickly Kobasew declined after a strong camp. No doubt, Megna passes the eye test way more than him. D'Agostini, I just need to see more to make an impression.

I really want to see Bennett come back and get people to their proper lines and see how the coaches put the team together. As I said earlier in the thread, I like the idea of at least a game of Bennett-Sutter-Megna based on what I am seeing of these guys so far. It is time for Beau to start to turn up the volume when he returns and that line would be a good one to try it as he wouldn't feel the urge to defer to Geno.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:50 am

Way too soon to make calls on if Megna or Dags are any good. Injuries will keep them rotating into the lineup, we'll see who makes the best of their shots.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:53 am

Kobasew "declined" because he was playing out of his element on Malkin's wing.

He's not a Top 6 guy, and wasn't signed as such. Only reason he was up there was because of injuries.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:01 am

I think its been plently long enough to determine that dagostini isnt very good.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:05 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I think its been plently long enough to determine that dagostini isnt very good.

I might be willing to give him a little bit longer, but yeah, going back to preseason, I haven't seen him do anything at all. He and Jeffrey have pretty much been empty sweaters, in my opinion, the few times they've been out there.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:08 am

MRandall25 wrote:Kobasew "declined" because he was playing out of his element on Malkin's wing.

He's not a Top 6 guy, and wasn't signed as such. Only reason he was up there was because of injuries.

I think (hope) this is the case too. He had a good camp and a good first handful of games, but then was forced into a role that doesn't suit him. If we ever reach the magical day of complete team health, I think he's still a good option in the bottom six.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:15 am

Hes been around for a while im not just looking at his time with the pens. Hes a fringe 3rd/4th liner
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:17 am

Kobasew has been ok on the third line.
He's also probably disposable, in the event of a better option.

Megna aside, I think we should all wish for that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby DelPen on Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:29 am

Didn't Megna have some really good camps the last two years and just missed the cut?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:12 am

DelPen wrote:Didn't Megna have some really good camps the last two years and just missed the cut?

He also had 5 goals in 56 AHL games last season.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:13 am

pfim wrote:
DelPen wrote:Didn't Megna have some really good camps the last two years and just missed the cut?

Only 11 points too, IIRC
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:38 am

I'm not as high as most on Megna. I think he lacks the hockey sense to play a top-6 role consistently. He does have great 3rd line abilities, however.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:40 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
pfim wrote:

Only 11 points too, IIRC

So Tangradi scored 18 goals in a 1/2 AHL season, and Johnathan Filewich once scored 30 goals in the AHL so what does 11 points by Megna in the AHL prove? Whay don't we wait and see what he does at the NHL level before we automatically assume he is headed on the next bus back to WBS.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:47 pm

pens_CT wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
pfim wrote:

Only 11 points too, IIRC

So Tangradi scored 18 goals in a 1/2 AHL season, and Johnathan Filewich once scored 30 goals in the AHL so what does 11 points by Megna in the AHL prove? Whay don't we wait and see what he does at the NHL level before we automatically assume he is headed on the next bus back to WBS.

I'm just merely building on pfim's point. Chill out.

If anything, it shows that, while he may have had 5 points in 6 games thus far in WBS, he may not be able to sustain that sort of production over a year (as evidenced by 12 points (looked it up) in 56 AHL games).

That's it. Like you said, let's wait and see. That stats aren't too friendly to him, but we shall see.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins