Game 13 vs. Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 13 vs. Bruins - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:18 pm

largegarlic wrote:
Staggy wrote:
pcm wrote:Another observation, Dupuis' defelection to Sutter on the goal was sick. I've noticed Dupuis looks a lot more effective playing on the 3rd line, after power plays and such; they always seem to have an effective shift.

I know it will never happen, but I'd like to see Bennett moved up to Sid's RW and Dupuis with Sutter. Not because Dupuis is ineffective, but because he brings more in a 3rd line role, whereas I think Bennett's puck skills would give Sid's line more options and take some of the possession pressure off Sid when matched up against a top shutdown force like Boston.

I fully agree with the rest of your post but I refuse to believe Pascal freaking Dupuis intentionally deflected that puck to Sutter lol

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who that was unintentional. If Crosby makes that play, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant to do it, but not Dupuis.

I agree, the atttempt at the puck was intentional, but the direction that resulted was total fluke. However, as they always say, you make your own luck. Credit Dupuis for hustling and smarts to be at that spot to begin with. Hockey is a game of inches, and the hockey gods decreed it would be so....
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:19 pm

Regarding pcm's NHL.com post:

Basically what I just took from that was Malkin floats, is unpredictable, and not a playmaker at all. He goes full potato and Neal is the only one who comes close to mashing with him. Krejci is Gretzky, Lucic is Stevens, and Iginla is a cherry-picking snob, but a "good" snob only with someone willing to accommodate.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:25 pm

DelPen wrote:
Great58 wrote:
columbia wrote:I would say that Jeffrey is even lower than Engelland on the F depth chart, so they should send him elsewhere (including WBS) at whatever point that is needed.
He's D-O-N-E done.

I watched Jeffrey at several points last night, he seemed to just be floating around out there. Why was Matt D'Agostini scratched last night?

hurt again

Source? Being that Bylsma stated it was simply a lineup decision.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 pm

- I think that was Malkin's best game of the year, even though he didn't score
- I'm really liking Megna on Malkin's line. He's fast and every time I noticed him in the offensive zone it was Malkin feeding him the puck near the crease. Good things will happen if that keeps occurring. I know I'll catch a lot of crap from this, and it is early, but right now I'd keep Megna with Malkin and Neal and have a third line of Jokinen - Sutter - Bennett.
- Fourth line looked good
- That's the most aggressive hitting I've seen from the Pens this year. Awesome.
- Still loving the Maatta - Bortuzzo pairing
- I wish Letang would stop trying to get cute at the blue line. Dish it off, shoot it (preferably not into a forwards shin pads), or dump it. That is not the place to try and deke.
- We plant someone in front of the goalie and chip it on goal and score on the PP....who would have thunk it?
- I'm liking Engelland more as a 4th line forward than a defenseman
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slipshod on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:36 pm

Just about everything covered so far in this thread but I will add: The puck movement in the first period in the D zone was THE best I've ever seen the Pens have in the 30 years I've watched them. Nobody held the puck for more than 2 seconds at most before moving it to another player. It was beautiful. It didn't seem to be as sharp in the 2nd and definitely not in the 3rd. I think the Bruins made some adjustments in the 2nd to cover the outlets along the walls and then the Pens were caught holding the puck too long a few times in the 3rd.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:31 pm

Megna continues to be a great surprise in terms of his quick assimilation to the league. This is what I thought he could become, but man what a fast path....

The Dupuis tooth thing - remember before he is granted god-like status that he may have simply had a cap/post there that was knocked loose. I have several of those and they can be knocked loose pretty easily and there isn't any more than mild discomfort to pull one off the post.

Great game. Really tense and fun to watch. Great to get to Rask finally for some first shot goals.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:33 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
The Dupuis tooth thing - remember before he is granted god-like status that he may have simply had a cap/post there that was knocked loose. I have several of those and they can be knocked loose pretty easily and there isn't any more than mild discomfort to pull one off the post.

Duper said the post came out with the tooth. So...OWWWW.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BigMcK on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:53 pm

Player wearing a helmet and shield hitting another player wearing a helmet and shield with bare knuckles. Why? Either take the helmet off and earn the extra minutes or stand there and play rock, paper, scissors.

Malkin is about to break out of his slump in a big way and go on a 8 game point scoring tear. You read it here first.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Any love for Vitale?
This year I was dreading our 3rd/4th lines being out there, but they have really proven to be quite the asset this year.
Vitale is a beast. Glass is a beast. Adams looks a little rejuvinated. I like what I see from Engo.
Once everyone is healed. we'll have almost too many options for the bottom 6.

I thought some of those guys were going through the glass when Kunitz hit them. He crushed someone on that last PP and the guy had the look of extreme pain on his face. I was surprised he got back up.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:21 pm

Vitale definitely made the GWG happen. His forecheck started the entire play.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:31 pm

Thank God Martin wasn't/isn't hurt.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:32 pm

Does anyone know where I can see a video of the embellishment call on Letang? Need to win an argument.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:43 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:Does anyone know where I can see a video of the embellishment call on Letang? Need to win an argument.

I actually saw a GIF of it this morning...but I cannot find it.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jesse on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:33 pm

Jussi Jokinen tricked the Bruins big time on the final Penguins goal. He cheated from his position to make a read and completely fooled everyone.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/1pittsbur ... es-the-day
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Sutter's goal did not surprise me. He got one of the two the Pens scored on the Broons in the ECF. It didn't do much good in June but it sure did last night.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:42 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:- I like Engelland the forward a lot more than Engelland the defenseman (who I hated).

Agreed. I must admit, I expected the Engelland-as-forward experiment to be a train wreck to beat all train wrecks, but he actually looks pretty darn good out there. Plus, he gives you the advantage of both dressing 7 D and having four lines. I really like it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:04 pm

Jesse wrote:Jussi Jokinen tricked the Bruins big time on the final Penguins goal. He cheated from his position to make a read and completely fooled everyone.

Nice breakdown Jesse.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:11 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:
Jesse wrote:Jussi Jokinen tricked the Bruins big time on the final Penguins goal. He cheated from his position to make a read and completely fooled everyone.

Nice breakdown Jesse.

Thank you.

The longer I watch Jussi Jokinen, the more I realize how smart this guy is. And man can he snipe the puck.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:33 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Duper said the post came out with the tooth. So...OWWWW.

Post and Crown = dead tooth and nerve. I don't assume it felt great, but it isn't that big of a deal unless we want to make it one.

Hockey players are tough, but there are a lot more amazing things happening than popping a fake tooth out. Just sayin'.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:35 pm

Shyster wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:- I like Engelland the forward a lot more than Engelland the defenseman (who I hated).

Agreed. I must admit, I expected the Engelland-as-forward experiment to be a train wreck to beat all train wrecks, but he actually looks pretty darn good out there. Plus, he gives you the advantage of both dressing 7 D and having four lines. I really like it.

I've always liked having a swing guy that can play up front and then drop back if needed. Engelland is looking pretty darn good out there. He has the defensive instincts, skates pretty well and is physical. Anything more is a bonus.

Ole 29r probably likes it a lot.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sniper on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:59 pm

Sounds like the Bruins weren't happy with the way they played and only thought they played well in the 3rd. Granted they did score 2 goals that period, but they only had 6 shots and 3 of those were after the Pens went up 3-1. Boston also had only 1 shot on goal from the 1:17 mark of the 3rd period up until the Iginla goal with 1:43 left. They went a stretch of more than 10 minutes without a shot and didn't even get into the Pens zone after the Pens took the lead in the third. I found it odd that their coach was happy with their 3rd period.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Jesse wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:

Nice breakdown Jesse.

Thank you.

The longer I watch Jussi Jokinen, the more I realize how smart this guy is. And man can he snipe the puck.

That was a thing of beauty, great analysis. And I just knew that the Pens were going to need it and then bang.... Jerome! :scared:
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Tico Rick wrote:It would have been nice if Iginla played last spring with half the intensity that he played with last night. I didn't realize he knew how to throw a hit.

like I said in the GDT... Lucic, and a few other cromags aka bruins are on roids.. maybe Iggy's just following team policy???
BOSTON - the "City of Cheat".
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby marek on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:06 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:Let a season take its toll on Iginla, he'll be a half step slower come March/April.

Boston as a whole already looked slow.

Which is why Orpik had a decent game...
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mike1104 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:35 pm

I thought the Pens played really well last night. Kunitz was hitting everything including the kitchen sink!! I loathe the Bruins anyway so, it was a great win!
mike1104

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins