Game 12 vs. 'Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 12 vs. 'Canes - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby columbia on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:11 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Last year: "Why is Bylsma playing Glass? He sucks! Boo Bylsma!"

This year: "Why didn't Bylsma play Glass more last year? He's good now! Boo Bylsma!"

Never change, LGP.

Different people have different opinions at different times.
There's nothing new with that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:15 pm

I know that. Just think it's funny that Tanner Glass's play this year is being used to complain about his lack of play in the playoffs last year.

Also don't really understand what Bylsma had to do with it. Glass was bad because there was no camp for him to get acclimated in. That's why he was a scratch. He couldn't find his game.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Is it the same people?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 pm

glass showed flashes of this at the end of last season once his position was in jeopardy. it seems like this type of player can't just go full blast at all times. adams and vitale are the same way - they turn it on selectively.

but with that said, it doesn't excuse him loafing for 90% of last season.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tanger58 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:27 pm

penny lane wrote:ouch~ broken ankle for Scuderi.:( awful. good news; he will be rested for the play offs.
A must win game to stop the losing streak.
Brooks ~call me Norris~ Orpik! Him and Paul Martin had active and accurate stick work around the canes.
Flower; a quiet but steely game from him.
#59 Jayson Megna; pay no attention to the coach, keep going to the net :P 8-)

Martin has been fun to watch - very solid. Nice play yesterday around the cage.

Megna was impressive at 2 games in or for anyone that matter. Dude is quick to speed and fast.
Tanger58
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tanger58 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:30 pm

malkin looks depressed... if that is even possible to see from a television. There is no energy, no excitement, no nothing. He still is a force though, and once he gets some line mates back, I think we will see our old geno back too.

If he doesn't get his head out of his rear when Neal gets back, he should go see Fleury's sports psychologist. I think he is depressed and not focused because of it. He puts alot of pressure on himself every game to score. He may need to take a step back and focus on simpler(for him) plays.
Tanger58
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IanMoran on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:18 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:- letang still does not look even close to form. he is constantly miss-handling passes, and getting the puck stuck at or around his skates. Once he gets back to game form, the pens will be much harder to keep up with.

It's always nice to see a player giving his playoff effort in October
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Wait people are complaining about Glass being scratched last year? He was the epitome of mud then.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penmyst on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:21 pm

About Glass:

Why should HCDB have played him in the playoffs last year? He stunk.

This year, he is playing much better.

Like these guys have said; sometimes it takes a bit for players to find their game on a new team.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:54 pm

IanMoran wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:- letang still does not look even close to form. he is constantly miss-handling passes, and getting the puck stuck at or around his skates. Once he gets back to game form, the pens will be much harder to keep up with.

It's always nice to see a player giving his playoff effort in October

I am fairly confident it has nothing at all to do with his effort and more to do with him missing the beginning of the season. As I said, once he gets back to normal, the pens will be a much harder team to play against.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Tanger58 wrote:
malkin looks depressed... if that is even possible to see from a television. There is no energy, no excitement, no nothing. He still is a force though, and once he gets some line mates back, I think we will see our old geno back too.

If he doesn't get his head out of his rear when Neal gets back, he should go see Fleury's sports psychologist. I think he is depressed and not focused because of it. He puts alot of pressure on himself every game to score. He may need to take a step back and focus on simpler(for him) plays.

Geno may very well get back on track as soon as he has his preferred line mates back. Heck, he might even find his game tomorrow night and start performing at an elite level. I just wish he had better coping skills, so that the next time he finds himself up against it, he will know how to get out of his own way instead of becoming his own worst enemy. Given the struggle this team has staying healthy--I liken it to the trials of Sisyphus--he will almost certainly face similar situations throughout the remainder of his career. I would like to see him better equipped to deal with those situations when they arise.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 pm

A good coach would instruct Geno to focus on his defensive play and fundamentals. Put him out there for defensive zone faceoffs, spot play on the PK, let him develop that side of his game (which has seemed to atrophy, but was definitely there when he came into the NHL.) Gotta take the pressure off him to score, so that he feels he's contributing even when he's not scoring. Then, he'd develop a more patient game and ultimately become a more dangerous offensive player.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:33 pm

pcm wrote:A good coach would instruct Geno to focus on his defensive play and fundamentals. Put him out there for defensive zone faceoffs, spot play on the PK, let him develop that side of his game (which has seemed to atrophy, but was definitely there when he came into the NHL.) Gotta take the pressure off him to score, so that he feels he's contributing even when he's not scoring. Then, he'd develop a more patient game and ultimately become a more dangerous offensive player.

or maybe give geno kunitz for a while.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Geno needs to start going north-south again and shoot. He's doing way too much puck handling across the ice and then dropping the biscuit to guys who aren't ready or can't shoot in the positions he puts them in. No one makes simple look as spectacular as Malkin so I'm hoping he sees what everyone else does in the video.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:47 pm

pcm wrote:A good coach would instruct Geno to focus on his defensive play and fundamentals. Put him out there for defensive zone faceoffs, spot play on the PK, let him develop that side of his game (which has seemed to atrophy, but was definitely there when he came into the NHL.) Gotta take the pressure off him to score, so that he feels he's contributing even when he's not scoring. Then, he'd develop a more patient game and ultimately become a more dangerous offensive player.

Maybe it would do Geno some good to ask him to play as Sutter for a bit, get him to focus less on his offense.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sniper on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:56 pm

I agree with the 3 above posts. Geno is at his best when he knows he has to be the man. He's at his best when he has a duty or a set goal. In the past that goal has been to be the go to scorer when Crosby has been out. When Sid is in the lineup, Geno still wants to score, but he knows if he doesn't Sid is there to carry the load. I think Geno needs a set goal and I think it should be a defensive goal. He's done better at faceoffs. As was mentioned above have him go to the pk meetings and give him pk time. Give him defensive zone draws. Every game his line isn't on for a goal against let him know he's played well. The offense will come.

That line needs a guy who is good on the boards and Geno needs to start dumping the puck in. Far too many of the goals that are scored against his line are a result of them not dumping the puck in and trying to be fancy at the blue line. Jokinen and whoever else just aren't the type of player that chases down dump ins and wins the puck. Geno needs that guy. Otherwise he won't dump the puck in.

-I don't think Dupuis has played very well ever since he got crushed at the end of the game in... Florida?
-Didn't notice Letang much this game which is probably a good thing.
-Defense as a whole played well. No odd man rushes. Forwards also made good decisions in getting the puck deep.
-Fleury has been great. 1.79 GAA and .928 save percentage. Nobody can complain about that.
-They finally won a low scoring game. They need to start consistently winning those. How they played in this game is how they have to play against Boston. Make Boston earn their goals. They are good team, but offensively they don't have the players that make great individual plays to beat you. They have a bunch of guys who can make you pay when you mess up and give them something they haven't earned though. Got to be patient and play smart.
-Injuries suck, but there isn't much they can do. Hopefully they are getting them over with early in the season.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:14 pm

I thought Geno looked pretty good in the first half dozen games and is getting more and more frustrated and tries to do everything by himself. Doesn't work, Geno.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:58 pm

Even with all the double-shifting, Sid played 23 mins, and about 3 mins of that was SH, which is more than he'll usually get (due to JV, CFA, and BS taking penalties). Nothing he can't handle, especially when they're losing/tied.

I do agree that we would normally see Malkin getting some of those shifts.

Nice set play off the faceoff for the opener, and special play by Sid for the winning goal.

As someone else noted, Tracy was slobbering over Sid in the 3rd (deservedly).
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:03 pm

Gaucho wrote:I thought Geno looked pretty good in the first half dozen games and is getting more and more frustrated and tries to do everything by himself. Doesn't work, Geno.

Yeah, I thought he was OK too.

The part about him going solo when frustrated is his biggest fault. It's been a problem for him. When he's frustrated, he needs someone to snap him out of the tunnel vision and get him back to using his teammates. Solo play isn't going to cut it in today's NHL.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:27 pm

columbia wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Last year: "Why is Bylsma playing Glass? He sucks! Boo Bylsma!"

This year: "Why didn't Bylsma play Glass more last year? He's good now! Boo Bylsma!"

Never change, LGP.

Different people have different opinions at different times.
There's nothing new with that.

If it helps, I think he and Adams still suck. I just have fewer opportunities to say it.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby MarioLives on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:25 pm

There sure seems to be a lot of poor Geno talk on here. Poor Geno needs better Linemates, poor Geno needs the coach to put him in better positions to gain his confidence..... I love Geno, but he is payed to be a top player in the game. He needs to be better period. If he wanted to play defense, he would, if he wanted to play a simple game he would.... He gets way to much slack
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 pm

MarioLives wrote:There sure seems to be a lot of poor Geno talk on here. Poor Geno needs better Linemates, poor Geno needs the coach to put him in better positions to gain his confidence..... I love Geno, but he is payed to be a top player in the game. He needs to be better period. If he wanted to play defense, he would, if he wanted to play a simple game he would.... He gets way to much slack

You love Geno but you slag him every chance you get.

I don't think hardly anyone is giving him slack much either, most every post has said he needs to play better.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:01 pm

My thoughts.

We are in a weak weak division. After a dozen games, every team in the "Metropolitan" division is under 500 except for us. I know it is a long season and things will change, but we should easily dominate this division.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:05 pm

While I agree with your overall point, but nothing comes easy in the NHL. I expect that we'll win it, but dominate has the wrong connotation. It's not going to be a cakewalk; it rarely is.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:07 pm

MarioLives wrote:There sure seems to be a lot of poor Geno talk on here. Poor Geno needs better Linemates, poor Geno needs the coach to put him in better positions to gain his confidence..... I love Geno, but he is payed to be a top player in the game. He needs to be better period. If he wanted to play defense, he would, if he wanted to play a simple game he would.... He gets way to much slack

So, rather than, say, speculate on a solution to his problems, the best idea is to simply tell him to be better? Regardless of whether Geno is being reasonable or not, it's the coaches' job to make him better as much as it's his job to be better.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins