The Assault On The League Has Begun

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby the wicked child on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:50 am

:shock:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,031
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby no name on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:43 am

penmyst wrote:
no name wrote:Its not the acoring leader i want to see as much as just a return of more goals per game acored. That is just me though, i know alot of people are happy with todays scoring pace. But a nice reward to more scoring would be the return of the scoring title winner getting 120+ points a season. Maybe the Rocket winner getting 60+ goals every year.

I think a really exceptional season in todays game would be the 140 point season. 143.5 would be a 1.75 point per game avg scoring pace. In todays game i think that would be Gretzky-esque.


Yeah but it's not likely to ever happen.

There are really no major changes to be made that could effect GPG without catastrophically changing the face of the game. Larger rinks? Not likely. The only spot one could make a case might be for the league to mandate referees call penalties as they occur, irregardless of which team has had how many PP (sort of like how the Olympics or World tournaments do. Where you can see one side have 12 PP and the other have 1 because that is how many penalties were actually committed.)

But for the players, the game is not the same as it was years ago. The intensity is so much higher. This is down to the money being so much greater. Just watch some of those 80s games and you can be shocked at the lack of intensity you see in the game. Particularly in the defensive end of things.

Teams today, even the worst ones, put vastly more effort into defensive effort/scheme/system. MOST players block shots, again something only a few guys did decades ago. All players relentlessly hack and slash at players all over the ice when they have the puck, making it increasingly difficult to get time/space in general. Players are more fit and therefore faster, stronger, bigger, better... making every game and individual battles hotly contested. Goalies all play some form of hybrid butterfly, which was unheard of until a Patrick Roy made it all the rage. This has greatly reduced the amount of goals scored simply because a large majority of goals are scored along the ice.

It just doesn't seem possible to go back to those times of higher scoring.


Sadly I have to agree with you. All those factors brought the scoring down to the point it is now. One point that you forgot was, for years the goalie equipment was left unregulated and kept growing at an un-normal pace. But I do like how the NHL is approaching trying to bring the scoring up with a bunch of small changes. The pads smaller, starting every power play faceoff in the attackers zone has helped. If they make enough tweek changes and don't disrupt the core aspect of the game I think they can get scoring up. I would like to see the glove and blocker back up to a smaller fit for each goalie and a more conforming fit for the chest pad.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,289
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:19 pm

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:02 am

I really don't have that much of a problem with the big glove, blocker, leg pads, but I definitely think the chest production needs reduced. A 160 pound goalie shouldn't look like they have a build of a linebacker.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,894
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Shaky Walton on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:59 am

Sadly the scoring went way down and the salaries went way up. Seems nowadays you get more for less . Doesn't make sense. Try that at your job and see where that gets you. Ex Ryan Clowe can't score and gets what over 4Mill per year. Oh and as the salaries go up so does the cost of attending some of these snooze fests. Some games resemble soccer on ice. Boring
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Great58 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:Sadly the scoring went way down and the salaries went way up. Seems nowadays you get more for less . Doesn't make sense. Try that at your job and see where that gets you. Ex Ryan Clowe can't score and gets what over 4Mill per year. Oh and as the salaries go up so does the cost of attending some of these snooze fests. Some games resemble soccer on ice. Boring

You get less for more. But yes, salaries have increased over the years in all major sports and for most jobs, for that matter.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,731
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Shaky Walton on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Great58 wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:Sadly the scoring went way down and the salaries went way up. Seems nowadays you get more for less . Doesn't make sense. Try that at your job and see where that gets you. Ex Ryan Clowe can't score and gets what over 4Mill per year. Oh and as the salaries go up so does the cost of attending some of these snooze fests. Some games resemble soccer on ice. Boring

You get less for more. But yes, salaries have increased over the years in all major sports and for most jobs, for that matter.

I said you get more money for less production. I said try that in your job and see where that gets you. If you follow that you will understand where I am going with this.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:22 pm

No one follows anything you say.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,894
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby CERV96 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Ha
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,667
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: It's poop again!

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:
Great58 wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:Sadly the scoring went way down and the salaries went way up. Seems nowadays you get more for less . Doesn't make sense. Try that at your job and see where that gets you. Ex Ryan Clowe can't score and gets what over 4Mill per year. Oh and as the salaries go up so does the cost of attending some of these snooze fests. Some games resemble soccer on ice. Boring

You get less for more. But yes, salaries have increased over the years in all major sports and for most jobs, for that matter.

I said you get more money for less production. I said try that in your job and see where that gets you. If you follow that you will understand where I am going with this.

Hockey players, as a group, don't get paid for the goals produced. They get paid for the revenue produced and the share of it that they can negotiate from the owners. So if they land bigger TV contracts, higher ticket prices, higher concession, and higher merchandise sales then they get more money. Goals are only relevant as part of the consideration for how much an individual player makes and how many people watch the game.

Hockey is still the fastest, most exciting sport to watch in my opinion. Fewer stops and more action with or without 10 goal games.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,290
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 7:18 pm
Location: 4.5 hours south of Josh Harrison's hometown.

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Shaky Walton on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:No one follows anything you say.

Too bad you don't say anything worth reading At least you have a good handle IDIOT It fits
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Shaky Walton on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:55 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:
Great58 wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:Sadly the scoring went way down and the salaries went way up. Seems nowadays you get more for less . Doesn't make sense. Try that at your job and see where that gets you. Ex Ryan Clowe can't score and gets what over 4Mill per year. Oh and as the salaries go up so does the cost of attending some of these snooze fests. Some games resemble soccer on ice. Boring

You get less for more. But yes, salaries have increased over the years in all major sports and for most jobs, for that matter.

I said you get more money for less production. I said try that in your job and see where that gets you. If you follow that you will understand where I am going with this.

Hockey players, as a group, don't get paid for the goals produced. They get paid for the revenue produced and the share of it that they can negotiate from the owners. So if they land bigger TV contracts, higher ticket prices, higher concession, and higher merchandise sales then they get more money. Goals are only relevant as part of the consideration for how much an individual player makes and how many people watch the game.

Hockey is still the fastest, most exciting sport to watch in my opinion. Fewer stops and more action with or without 10 goal games.

Say that with a straight face when they go to arbitration!!!!!!!!!!!
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:05 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:
Great58 wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:Sadly the scoring went way down and the salaries went way up. Seems nowadays you get more for less . Doesn't make sense. Try that at your job and see where that gets you. Ex Ryan Clowe can't score and gets what over 4Mill per year. Oh and as the salaries go up so does the cost of attending some of these snooze fests. Some games resemble soccer on ice. Boring

You get less for more. But yes, salaries have increased over the years in all major sports and for most jobs, for that matter.

I said you get more money for less production. I said try that in your job and see where that gets you. If you follow that you will understand where I am going with this.

Hockey players, as a group, don't get paid for the goals produced. They get paid for the revenue produced and the share of it that they can negotiate from the owners. So if they land bigger TV contracts, higher ticket prices, higher concession, and higher merchandise sales then they get more money. Goals are only relevant as part of the consideration for how much an individual player makes and how many people watch the game.

Hockey is still the fastest, most exciting sport to watch in my opinion. Fewer stops and more action with or without 10 goal games.

Say that with a straight face when they go to arbitration!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a big difference between economics and negotiation
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,290
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 7:18 pm
Location: 4.5 hours south of Josh Harrison's hometown.

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Staggy on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:No one follows anything you say.

Too bad you don't say anything worth reading At least you have a good handle IDIOT It fits


You may want to look again.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,038
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:13 pm

I never anticipated how much delightful irony this username would deliver.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,894
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby MarioLives on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Click ...
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:30 pm

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby MarioLives on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I never anticipated how much delightful irony this username would deliver.


Is it irony or people just being not that smart.....?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:30 pm

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Gaucho on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:40 pm

yay
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,779
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Froggy on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:42 pm

MarioLives wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I never anticipated how much delightful irony this username would deliver.


Is it irony or people just being not that smart.....?

Isn't that where the irony comes in to play?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,942
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby meow on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:No one follows anything you say.

Too bad you don't say anything worth reading At least you have a good handle IDIOT It fits

Your reading comprehension skills are on par with your writing skills.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,435
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby PghSkins on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:06 pm

meow wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:No one follows anything you say.

Too bad you don't say anything worth reading At least you have a good handle IDIOT It fits

Your reading comprehension skills are on par with your writing skills.


Shaky?
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,942
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:36 pm
Location: Klinkhammer's German Army

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:23 pm

Bioshock wrote:6 GP
5 Goals
7 Assists
2 PPG

On pace for 164 points...

Hey NHL. Good Luck... This psycho is doing situps in a dark room somewhere as we speak.


Now on pace for 117 points.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,786
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby MelicharSux on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:06 am

Shaky Walton wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:No one follows anything you say.

Too bad you don't say anything worth reading At least you have a good handle IDIOT It fits


Couldn't agree more :pop:
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,532
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:45 am
Location: Columbus.

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:34 am

Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,077
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:06 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby JiriSlegr on Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:53 am

New to posting here, but this is how I imagine most discussions going recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AxRWA_yXd0
JiriSlegr
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Re: The Assault On The League Has Begun

Postby penmyst on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:41 am

Shaky Walton wrote:...Some games resemble soccer on ice. Boring


But there is staged fist fights in hockey. Makes it soooo much easier to go get a drink out of the fridge and not miss anything. In a soccer match, that 2 minute trip might cause you to miss the only goal of the game. ;)
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DelPen, jcgopens and 16 guests


e-mail