Dea gets ELC

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Dea gets ELC

Postby skullman80 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:43 am

So looks like Dea impressed enough to get a ELC. Hopefully he can be a sleeper prospect down the road.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... L|PIT|home
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Dea gets ELC

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:03 am

He's got one more year of Junior, right?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:25 am

This explains why the random French guy I met in Quebec City this summer was so upset that the Pens had him at their prospect camp. (Crapped on me, complimented the new Pens draft hat). He felt that Dea was a great prospect and that Montreal should have grabbed him. Good to see they might have found a gem here.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:02 am

Another high skill forward prospect in the system.

Bennett (perhaps not even considered a prospect anymore?)
Blueger
Guentzel
Byron
Megna
Dea
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 am

Kunhackl is impressing at camp. I could see him filling a Kunitz-type role down the line. And yes, 50% of that sentiment is based on their names.

Congrats to Dea. Sounds like he earned it.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Good on him. Got passed up in the draft, even after scoring 45 goals in the Q last season (30+ did come in the 1st half of the season though). Got invited to Pens development camp and worked his way into the rookie tournament, then into main camp, and now earned a pro contract. That speaks to his compete level and work ethic, musts for any Penguin.

A decent comparable to Dea (for now, at least) is Mark Letestu. Both smaller, skilled centers that went undrafted & had to earn their way. I think Dea is a little faster and has a little better shot though. Really good at popping into open ice at the right time.

No guarantees on what the future holds for any player, but I really like adding a hard-working, skilled kid like him to the system. The biggest thing for him will be to continue to get stronger. Before last season, there were reports he grew 2" to 6', 155. The Pens had him listed at 5'11", 176 after physicals for whatever that's worth.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby oliasphodel on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Saw him play 4 or 5 times with Rouyn Noranda last year.. good player, but thought he was good because of Andrighetto (Mtl) and Kucherov (TB)..
oliasphodel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bwatt22 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:44 pm

That's likely why he was undrafted, but he showed that he can make things happen at a higher level -- or at least has the potential. Good low risk signing, not really a waste of a contract spot at all, and should provide another chance at a contributing player at the NHL level.
bwatt22

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins