First cuts coming Tuesday morning

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

First cuts coming Tuesday morning

Postby Penspal on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:51 am

According to the postgame article on NHL.com, cuts to be made today...

"Bylsma said the Penguins will be making cuts on Tuesday morning. They had 55 players divided into three groups the first few days of training camp, but will go down to two practice groups moving forward."

I'm sure there will be some easy ones....
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: First cuts coming Tuesday morning

Postby czwalga on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:58 am

Penspal wrote:According to the postgame article on NHL.com, cuts to be made today...

"Bylsma said the Penguins will be making cuts on Tuesday morning. They had 55 players divided into three groups the first few days of training camp, but will go down to two practice groups moving forward."

Fleury? :D
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:46 am

czwalga wrote:
Penspal wrote:According to the postgame article on NHL.com, cuts to be made today...

How many goals did Vokoun give up last night?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:50 am

Pittsburgh also re-assigned 11 players today. Dea, goaltenders Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry and forward Matia Marcantuoni were sent back to their respective junior teams. Forwards Paul Thompson, Tom Kostopoulos, Brian Gibbons and Dominik Uher, and defensemen Clark Seymour, Reid McNeill and Nick D'Agostino were sent to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=682861&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

Fleury survived the cut.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:50 am

Crankshaft wrote:
czwalga wrote:

I believe the answer you're looking for is "twice as many as Fleury gave up the night before". :wink: :pop:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:46 am

Gaucho wrote:Pittsburgh also re-assigned 11 players today. Dea, goaltenders Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry and forward Matia Marcantuoni were sent back to their respective junior teams. Forwards Paul Thompson, Tom Kostopoulos, Brian Gibbons and Dominik Uher, and defensemen Clark Seymour, Reid McNeill and Nick D'Agostino were sent to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Fleury survived the cut.

D'Agostino? Wasn't he supposed to be the 2nd coming of Matt Cooke? How's the grinder / forechecking /PK line(s) looking?

Living in Central PA, we couldn't get the pre-season game last night. Watched the last inning of the Pirates' loss on Root Sports, then switched over to ESPN to see the Steelers stink up the joint. Clean sweep for the Pittsburgh teams last night.... :face:
Last edited by IntangibleBeer on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:47 am

D'Agostino is a defenseman.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 am

D'Agostni is the 3rd liner
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Pittsburgh also re-assigned 11 players today. Dea, goaltenders Matt Murray and Tristan Jarry and forward Matia Marcantuoni were sent back to their respective junior teams. Forwards Paul Thompson, Tom Kostopoulos, Brian Gibbons and Dominik Uher, and defensemen Clark Seymour, Reid McNeill and Nick D'Agostino were sent to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Fleury survived the cut.

D'Agostino? Wasn't he supposed to be the 2nd coming of Matt Cooke? How's the grinder / forechecking /PK line(s) looking?

I think you're thinking of Ken Agostino, who we traded to the Flames in the Iginla trade.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks guys!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:58 am

Kenny Agostino's ceiling is actually more of a player akin to Ryan Callahan than Matt Cooke. He probably won't reach that ceiling, but man that'll be painfull for us if he does.

Too bad though. In a couple season we could've potentially had Agostino and D'Agostini as forwards and D'Agostino as a defenseman. Steigy's tongue would've exploded.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby czwalga on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 am

Crankshaft wrote:
czwalga wrote:

Vokoun didn't play well last night, however unlike most people I look at things over time and can still remember fleury's last 3 or 4 playoffs, along with his below avg regular season numbers.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:31 pm

czwalga wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
czwalga wrote:

Vokoun didn't play well last night, however unlike most people I look at things over time and can still remember fleury's last 3 or 4 playoffs, along with his below avg regular season numbers.

Vokoun during the regular season was not top snuff. His playoffs were good, but don't act like Vokoun was Brodeur last year either.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Rylan wrote:Vokoun during the regular season was not top snuff. His playoffs were good, but don't act like Vokoun was Brodeur last year either.

If you make it to the playoffs the regular season doesnt matter.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:08 pm

Eh...?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Not surprised that Kuhnhackl and Kobasew survived the first cut.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:43 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:

Fleury survived the cut.

GSdrums87 wrote:D'Agostino is a defenseman.

MRandall25 wrote:D'Agostni is the 3rd liner

Crankshaft wrote:I think you're thinking of Ken Agostino, who we traded to the Flames in the Iginla trade.

Bravo guys :fist:
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby czwalga on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Rylan wrote:
czwalga wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
czwalga wrote:

Vokoun during the regular season was not top snuff. His playoffs were good, but don't act like Vokoun was Brodeur last year either.

Vokoun and Fleury basically had the same regular season stats last year. Fleury better GAA, Vokoun better SV%. One makes 5 mill a year, the other doesn't. One has collapsed in 4? straight playoffs, the other hasn't.

I'm not trying to talk up Vokoun like he's a world beater, but he's no worse than fleury at his best (considering everyone said fleury played great in the regular season last year).

Fleury played great 2 games 5 years ago. With some people here thats enough for the rest of his career. Really other than those 2 games I thought he played pretty poor, the year before when they lost was when he played his best. 6 years ago? Mats Sundin was still a good hockey player in the NHL thats how long ago.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:11 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:

Fleury survived the cut.

GSdrums87 wrote:D'Agostino is a defenseman.

MRandall25 wrote:D'Agostni is the 3rd liner

Crankshaft wrote:I think you're thinking of Ken Agostino, who we traded to the Flames in the Iginla trade.

Bravo guys :fist:

All the bases were covered, :lol:
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:36 pm

czwalga wrote:Vokoun and Fleury basically had the same regular season stats last year. Fleury better GAA, Vokoun better SV%. One makes 5 mill a year, the other doesn't. One has collapsed in 4? straight playoffs, the other hasn't.

I'm not trying to talk up Vokoun like he's a world beater, but he's no worse than fleury at his best (considering everyone said fleury played great in the regular season last year).

Fleury played great 2 games 5 years ago. With some people here thats enough for the rest of his career. Really other than those 2 games I thought he played pretty poor, the year before when they lost was when he played his best. 6 years ago? Mats Sundin was still a good hockey player in the NHL thats how long ago.

Ok? No worse than Fleury, is older, and hasn't played a full season in a few years. Sounds like a solid plan for this upcoming season with no viable backup with the guys in WB/S either too young or still developing. So, because of the lack of anything better Fleury is the starter, Vokoun is the backup.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 pm

There's no reason to change the arrangement. Keep fleury as the starter. keep him on a short leash in the playoffs.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:32 pm

shmenguin wrote:There's no reason to change the arrangement. Keep fleury as the starter. keep him on a short leash in the playoffs.

Yeah, I agree. I've been tremendously critical of Fleury, but there is absolutely zero reason to not have him as your starter in the regular season (talking about the Pens' specific situation).
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby czwalga on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:44 am

At this point yeah I agree, i was joking about cutting fleury unless you could at least get a competent back up.

I think its pathetic he gets as much leeway as he does, at this point we have to. At the end of the season, other arrangements should have been made.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:20 am

We have a competent backup in Vokoun. Teams with two backups that play our type of style will not make the playoffs (see: Philadelphia).
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:02 am

mikey287 wrote:We have a competent backup in Vokoun. Teams with two backups that play our type of style will not make the playoffs (see: Philadelphia).

:thumb:

Bryzgalov's play in Philadelphia was my #1 argument against Mike Smith as a Penguin. Luckily, Smith signed a long-term deal in Phoenix so 29 other teams dodged that bullet.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins