Pens vs Blue Jackets (Pre-season) Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens vs Blue Jackets (Pre-season) Official Game Thread

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:10 pm

meow wrote:I'm against Malkin, and Crosby, on the PK for two reasons that I have not seen mentioned here yet. One, I want the first shift after we kill a penalty to be Malkin, Crosby, Neal to immediately build off the momentum of the kill. Two, if the PP takes a penalty, which does not happen often but still occurs, I want a fresh Malkin or Crosby to spill over the boards to play 4-on-4.

Malkin definitely can excel at killing penalties. Just because he doesn't play stellar D 100% of the time doesn't mean he isn't capable of it.

I'm not sure of the numbers, but as much as we see the stacked line of Sid, Geno and whoever coming on the ice after a kill, I don't recall us having much of a success rate with that plan of attack. Bylsma runs it all the time, but I don't recall us scoring a ton of goals or generating a ton of momentum by using it. Maybe someone can refresh me?

People better get used to it, Martin is known for using his stars on the PK and he might be whispering in Byslma's ear regarding that theory. Whether is comes to fruition or not remains to be seen.

As good as our PK was in the playoffs, it was horrible during the regular season and we really lacked that bit of an offensive threat we seemed to have when we had Max, Staal, or even Armstrong in the mix. Now we've lost Cooke as well. As much as Sid could get injured on the PK, he could get injured 5 on 5 too.

I look back to our regular PK'rs over the years (Cooke, Staal, Adams, Dupuis, Glass, etc) and don't recall a ton of major injuries coming on the PK. I'm willing to give Sid and Geno a chance to see what could happen. Creating offensive chances while still being solid on the PK is a huge momentum shifter and I'd like to see that in our game once again.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Even though I stated earlier I have my worries of Geno on the PK. I think the argument can be summed up best by saying:

If Ilya Kovalchuk can play PK, then why not?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:31 pm

our penalty kill is impossibly slow. adding any speed would be a welcome change.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:36 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Again, love for him to prove me wrong, but 5 on 5 defense is not the same as defending on the PK.

Yes, exactly. Which is why I don't understand why people are using that as a reason that he wouldn't be good at killing penalties. Because he has been before earlier in his career, and could be again.

The notion that, if everytime Malkin got the puck on the PK, instead of clearing it he would try to dangle through two players or whatever, is, well... misguided is putting it kindly.

And why would his 5 on 5 defense mean he'd be good? It goes both ways.

It doesn't. I never recall saying anything like that. My point is that they are by and large unrelated.

And I was addressing assumptions made by others, not yourself specifically.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:38 pm

shmenguin wrote:our penalty kill is impossibly slow. adding any speed would be a welcome change.

Right.

Plus, imagine your level of comfortability as a point man with Adams or Glass bearing down on you. Now, do the same thing, but replace them with Geno or Sid.

Don't underestimate the effect that their mere presences can have on the kill.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins