Crosby on Russia's Anti-Gay Laws

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crosby on Russia's Anti-Gay Laws

Postby IanMoran on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:56 am

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/96002 ... ryone-play

"For me growing up in Canada, my view has always been that way," Crosby said during a news conference Sunday to kick off Canada's Olympic camp. "I think that everyone has an equal right to play and I think we've been supportive of that. With the Olympics and the controversy around that I think those decisions and those laws aren't necessarily something that I agree with personally ... their laws and their views."

Probably the most Crosby will ever speak up on something that sadly is still political to some...

Also, Kovalchuk spoke support for it

http://nhl.si.com/2013/08/26/kovalchuk- ... s-opposed/

“I agree, of course,” said Ilya Kovalchuk. “I’m Russian and we all have to respect that. It’s personal and, like I said, it’s a free world, but that’s our line. That’s our country, so everybody has to respect that.”
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Crosby on Russia's Anti-Gay Laws

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:00 pm

He's the face of the league. He's not going to say otherwise.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:08 pm

O, and just so I don't start another thread... The guy can play a little hockey (Crosby assist to Duchene at Nova Scotia hockey camp)

IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:37 pm

IanMoran wrote:O, and just so I don't start another thread... The guy can play a little hockey (Crosby assist to Duchene at Nova Scotia hockey camp)

those guys in white need to go back to their beer league
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:46 pm

What if het said something like "Its really a great thing they're doing over there. I'm glad someone is making a stand"? What was he going to say?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Sid could have come out more radical on it I guess. Hell, everything is news these days so this is too??? No doubt they were schooled in how to avoid controversial answers to that very question.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:18 pm

"I mean, I'm not homophobic, as long as they don't try to TOUCH me..."
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Couple weeks ago I read a short tweet from Pavel Datsuyk , he isn't changing what he believes for the olympics; supports the anti-gay rules; I'm sure they'll be asking Evgeni soon.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:00 pm

penny lane wrote:Couple weeks ago I read a short tweet from Pavel Datsuyk , he isn't changing what he believes for the olympics; supports the anti-gay rules; I'm sure they'll be asking Evgeni soon.

Ovie (wisely, perhaps?) skirted the issue by saying "I'm here to talk about hockey".
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:35 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
penny lane wrote:Couple weeks ago I read a short tweet from Pavel Datsuyk , he isn't changing what he believes for the olympics; supports the anti-gay rules; I'm sure they'll be asking Evgeni soon.

Ovie (wisely, perhaps?) skirted the issue by saying "I'm here to talk about hockey".

Ovie? Wise? Does not compute.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kaizer on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:46 pm

obvious to any flyers fan
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:47 pm

IanMoran wrote:
“I agree, of course,” said Ilya Kovalchuk. “I’m Russian and we all have to respect that. It’s personal and, like I said, it’s a free world, but that’s our line. That’s our country, so everybody has to respect that.”

I've heard many Russian athletes say something along those lines. Appalling.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:45 pm

I don't give a crap what Crosby or Kovy think about gays. Why are they even being asked this? It's stupid.

Does being gay mean you can't play hockey in russia or something? If not, these guys should not even be talking about it.

Unless this dumb gay issue is more important that the thousand other issues people could have with Russia. Which of course in today's society unfortunately people are looking for every ounce of pro-gay propaganda they can promote.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:05 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
Does being gay mean you can't play hockey in russia or something? If not, these guys should not even be talking about it.

Pretty much yes, at least if its "openly displayed." Don't ask don't tell policy I guess
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:08 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:I don't give a crap what Crosby or Kovy think about gays. Why are they even being asked this? It's stupid.

Unless this dumb gay issue is more important that the thousand other issues people could have with Russia. Which of course in today's society unfortunately people are looking for every ounce of pro-gay propaganda they can promote.

Did your wife run off with a gay man or something?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:38 pm

columbia wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:I don't give a crap what Crosby or Kovy think about gays. Why are they even being asked this? It's stupid.

Did your wife run off with a gay man or something?

Heh no. I am just getting really tired of the issue. Sorry I came at this with a baseball bat, I should have been more subtle.
Last edited by FallenHero96 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:45 pm

IanMoran wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:

Pretty much yes, at least if its "openly displayed." Don't ask don't tell policy I guess

All I have read is that they fine you if you engage in homosexual propaganda, nothing about not letting you do your job. But maybe I am wrong, I haven't looked that much into it.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sieve70 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:57 am

FallenHero96 wrote:I don't give a crap what Crosby or Kovy think about gays. Why are they even being asked this?

Fallen - just using your quote as a launching point - no personal comment regarding your post meant!

The law is regarding "promoting" homosexuality.

So, why are they being asked? Because it is politically motivated.

Those that are pro want to push down those that are neg - those that are neg what to push down those that are pro... and, on top of that, the Russian athletes are also caught in the additional thread of nationalism...

The athletes - they want to stay the F out of the conversation and play the game!

In short - Leave them alone!

Ignore their comments that are against your personal beliefs - they are pushed by their management circle to lighten the effect on their personal career in the political circle of influence they are in, no matter which way they personally fall on the argument scale.

As a sports fan - help your athletic heroes and ignore it! Prove that sports has not place in political fights and ignore it.
Sieve70
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 am

a good friend of mine is a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE Kovy fan and ardent Crosby hater. she also happens to be gay. Kovy's stance on this has crushed her and it's all I can do not to say, "guess Sid's not so bad after all, eh?"
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:15 am

No matter who you are, a person should be able to be true to themself and their beliefs. But that also means respecting another's choice.

Just let them play. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:45 pm

Do you like fish sticks?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:47 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:

All I have read is that they fine you if you engage in homosexual propaganda, nothing about not letting you do your job. But maybe I am wrong, I haven't looked that much into it.

The Minister of Sports said they'd prevent gay athletes from participating and would arrest those that resisted. So, they aren't letting them do their jobs.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:55 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:

The Minister of Sports said they'd prevent gay athletes from participating and would arrest those that resisted. So, they aren't letting them do their jobs.

Well here he says it wont affect the olympics:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/18 ... ster-says/

And according to the IOC - "We have today received strong written reassurances from the Russian government that everyone will be welcome at the games in Sochi regardless of their sexual orientation"

And then here
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/0 ... 96611.html

it says In a statement to R-Sport, Mutko stated that, "No one is forbidding an athlete with non-traditional sexual orientation from coming to Sochi, but if he goes onto the street and starts propagandizing it, then of course he will be held accountable."

So, I don't know where you saw that he would prevent gay athletes from participating. Seems to me he is saying keep it private, which everyone should be doing anyways.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Factorial on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Sieve70 wrote:As a sports fan - help your athletic heroes and ignore it! Prove that sports has not place in political fights and ignore it.

But it's not a political fight. It's a human rights issue.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:01 pm

CERV96 wrote:Do you like fish sticks?

:?:

Care to explain?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next