Clearing cap space?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Clearing cap space?

Postby pcm on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:48 pm

The Pens have 23 players signed and are $1.09m above the cap. When do they have to be under the cap? Training camp starts in like 2 weeks...

I wonder what GMRS is going to do:

1. Trade Niskanen: That would give them $1.2m in cap space to bring up a Dumoulin / Harrington. But would leave the forwards "as is."

2. Dump Jokinen: They'd have $1m in cap space then to find a replacement fwd. If Bennett plays in the top 6, then Jokinen doesn't have much of a role on this team anyways, as Jeffrey can easily be the replacement "utility forward." If a guy like Payerl or Megna shows he can contribute, than this is a good cost-savings move.

3. Dump Glass: Not really an option in and of itself, as his replacement would cost at least half his salary. Could be combined with other options to save a few bucks, but the lack of depth in our bottom 6 says this is pretty unlikely.

1+2. Combine the savings of losing Niskanen + Jokinen (2.2 - 900 for Harrington or Dumoulin = $1.3m) to upgrade the bottom 6 guy. $1m isn't going to get you much, so I don't really see this happening, though I could see #1 and #2 happening independently, bringing up younger replacements.

3. Trade Martin or Orpik: A big shakeup like this makes sense if Shero feels the need to upgrade the forwards. Despres and Scuderi would step into top 4 roles to makeup for the loss of a minute eater. If the return was a young forward who could be groomed into a power forward role, while starting off on the 3rd line, then I'd be in favor of this, as I think it'd make for a more balanced team.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Clearing cap space?

Postby KG on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:07 pm

It will probably be Niskanen or Jokinen who go...or possibly both. If Despres and Beau are ready for top minutes then Nisky and Juicy are expendable...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:15 pm

I think JJ needs to stay. If BB takes his spot and they trade him, that leaves almost no one in the bottom six who can score or slide up in case of injury.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby no name on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Jokinen proved in the playoffs and regular season to be quite the utility forward playing all forward positions. He does lack grit and not much as far as vetern leadership but any injury on the top 2 lines he can jump up there and contribute. You could put him on the 3rd line with D'Agustino and Sutter and see if they can form a decent 3rd line.

I would trade Glass and Niskenin to open cap space giving those roles to minor league guys. Nisky lacks physical play and we got enough offensive guys on the blue line. At times you got to put faith in your minor league guys and see what your system got.

As another thread suggested I would prefere Morrow in Jokinens role as the 3rd line possible top 2 lines during injuries player. For his grit and leadership abilities. Not sure if he would fit under the cap.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:47 pm

pcm wrote:The Pens have 23 players signed and are $1.09m above the cap. When do they have to be under the cap? Training camp starts in like 2 weeks...

That is what I want to know....................when?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:16 pm

Why isn't an option to carry 21 players while waiving Glass (savings of 200k if nobody picks him up or 1.1 if somebody does) and someone like Jeffrey or Engo or whoever else that if you lose for nothing, no big deal.

Pens (not counting last year) rarely had a full 23 up on the big team in previous years.

There is also the option of both Bennett and Despres starting the year in WBS and not having to do anything. I would almost love this option to happen just to see the responses on the board.

To answer the other question: You must be cap compliant by the final day of training camp (unsure of that date for this season - late September).

Nisky going makes the most sense and is what I expect to happen.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:06 pm

offsides wrote:
pcm wrote:The Pens have 23 players signed and are $1.09m above the cap. When do they have to be under the cap? Training camp starts in like 2 weeks...

That is what I want to know....................when?

I'm pretty sure they have to be cap compliant before the first day of the regular season....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:58 pm

If they have all of training camp to get compliant, that's great news. It increases the likelihood of some of the younger guys stepping up and making an older guy expendable. That way Shero won't have to "guess" at it so much.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:22 pm

All I have to say is JJ>>>>>>Jeffery. Jeffery isn't a very good hockey player.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:24 pm

He's usefully functional, but not good.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 am

pcm wrote:If they have all of training camp to get compliant, that's great news. It increases the likelihood of some of the younger guys stepping up and making an older guy expendable. That way Shero won't have to "guess" at it so much.

Or somebody getting hurt. If one of the higher paid D goes down, that creates the need for Niskanen and opens up temporary cap space. Wouldn't surprise me if things work out where they never end up needing to trade anyone, at least not right away.

Ultimately, to get complaint it only makes sense to move someone with a higher price tag. Getting just under the cap but leaving no room for moves doesn't do them any good. Picking away by dropping guys like Glass and Engelland wouldn't make a lot of sense. It's got to be a Niskanen or Jokinen or someone else unexpected.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:55 am

Henry Hank wrote:
pcm wrote:If they have all of training camp to get compliant, that's great news. It increases the likelihood of some of the younger guys stepping up and making an older guy expendable. That way Shero won't have to "guess" at it so much.

Or somebody getting hurt. If one of the higher paid D goes down, that creates the need for Niskanen and opens up temporary cap space. Wouldn't surprise me if things work out where they never end up needing to trade anyone, at least not right away.

Ultimately, to get complaint it only makes sense to move someone with a higher price tag. Getting just under the cap but leaving no room for moves doesn't do them any good. Picking away by dropping guys like Glass and Engelland wouldn't make a lot of sense. It's got to be a Niskanen or Jokinen or someone else unexpected.

Or even other defensemen around the league who may get hurt and it opens up the trade market for a guy like niski. Maybe shero does not like the offers he is getting and figures with some injuries during pre-season around the league he could get more. I still would favor a trade where instead of getting rid of niski, we get rid of MAF. Last years playoffs was the writing on the wall for me. He needs to go.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:02 am

Haha if you think the new goaltending coach and brain wrangler were brought in for him to be traded before the season starts...
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:10 am

no name wrote:I would trade Glass and Niskenin to open cap space giving those roles to minor league guys. Nisky lacks physical play and we got enough offensive guys on the blue line. At times you got to put faith in your minor league guys and see what your system got.

I definitely think Niskanen needs to go. Not even for his lack of physicality, but for the simple fact that he wasn't good in the playoffs. With this log-jam we have on D with the youngsters trying to crack the line-up, Niskanen makes the most sense.

Trading Glass? Normally I'd agree. I think he was pretty useless. However, with the departure of Cooke and Morrow this team has a major hole in tough players. Unless Shero plans to make some moves, Glass should be expected to take on a larger role.

I'm not against trading Jokinen, but I think it makes more sense to trade a dman rather than a forward since there are more holes to fill up front.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:10 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
no name wrote:I would trade Glass and Niskenin to open cap space giving those roles to minor league guys. Nisky lacks physical play and we got enough offensive guys on the blue line. At times you got to put faith in your minor league guys and see what your system got.

I definitely think Niskanen needs to go. Not even for his lack of physicality, but for the simple fact that he wasn't good in the playoffs. With this log-jam we have on D with the youngsters trying to crack the line-up, Niskanen makes the most sense.

Trading Glass? Normally I'd agree. I think he was pretty useless. However, with the departure of Cooke and Morrow this team has a major hole in tough players. Unless Shero plans to make some moves, Glass should be expected to take on a larger role.

I'm not against trading Jokinen, but I think it makes more sense to trade a dman rather than a forward since there are more holes to fill up front.

I think Niskanen has outlived his usefulness and needs to go. He would be my first choice. It really is time (overdue) to find out if the young D-men we've been stockpiling have got what it takes. And we have a full season to get them acclimated to the NHL's nightly grind.

Unfortunately, Glass will have to be kept to fill some of Cooke's role. But Cooke wasn't 1-dimensional. At one point a couple of years ago, he was leading the league in short-handed goals. That's pretty impressive and there's no way Glass can fill those shoes. I don't think he's scored since the 8th grade picnic (to quote someone famous :lol: ). I hope Glass is capable of playing a larger role; I guess we'll find out.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:30 pm

I may be in the minority in actually being pleased with Niskanen's play for the Pens, as a whole, but I'll agree that it's time to see him go.

For that matter, I also believe it's time for Orpik to go elsewhere as well. There are plenty of young, capable defenseman in the organization and they need to get an opportunity to prove themselves - which won't happen when there are 5 or 6 veteran defenseman around all the time.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Why do they need to make all of those moves to open up cap space? Going after Arod?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:43 pm

One way to force Coach Dan's hand to play youth is not have older- established players not available on the roster. But, I don't see Brooks or P Martin leaving ; Engelland/Niskanen, yes. I don't like having a fighter who plays defense. every fight, shortened D rotation.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Why do they need to make all of those moves to open up cap space? Going after Arod?

They're over the cap by almost $1.1-million with 13 F + 8 D + 2 G.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:50 pm

So they need to dump glass, niskanen, martin or orpik, and Jokinen?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:56 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:So they need to dump glass, niskanen, martin or orpik, and Jokinen?

Living up to your name, one post at a time.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:21 pm

pcm wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:So they need to dump glass, niskanen, martin or orpik, and Jokinen?

He's doing it for da fans?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Rylan wrote:
pcm wrote:

He's doing it for da fans?

My eyes always transpose it as Idiot... :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:32 pm

I don't think you keep a guy simply because your team runs short on something he does well. I wouldn't be more inclined to keep Glass simply because we've already lost physicality. He wasn't of very much use last season, and I'm not sure giving him a larger role makes him more useful. That said, I'd be surprised if he was moved.

Ideally, I'd like to see him and Niskanen dealt for a solid third line guy, someone like Colin Greening from Ottawa. I really doubt Ottawa would be up for that as they brought Joe Corvo back, but something like that.

Beyond that, I just don't see how Niskanen isn't the odd man out. Assuming the top 4 is some combo of Letang, Martin, Orpik and Scuderi, Niskanen is at best your #5. Paying 2.3M for a #5 is a luxury that a team ~1M over the cap seemingly can't afford.

Thing is, everyone knows the Pens cap situation and I doubt anyone's in a hurry to do them a favor. Shero needs for there to be a team interested in Niskanen enough to be willing to part with an asset instead of waiting on waivers.

Another possibility, though a remote (and no doubt unpopular one), would be to send Bennett and Despres down to start while RS continues to work the phones. Neither has to clear waivers and such a move would clear more than enough space. It would also leave them with 12 forwards and 7 dmen.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:57 am

The Oilers are severely lacking in center, Jokinen would actually be a decent fit there especially with RNH out to start the year.

Ultimately though Shero doesn't HAVE to make a trade. Sending Bennett and Despres to WBS as both are still waiver eligible gets you $640,000 in cap space.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins