Not Re-signing Morrow a HUGE mistake

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Not Re-signing Morrow a HUGE mistake

Postby pcm on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Agreed with Defence21 about Morrow's exit from Dallas.

I see a player with gas left in the tank. And what he brings to the table is not easily found in a younger body, though, perhaps the role he was called to fill by Blysma could be filled by any ol' Joe Vitale. But it's my opinion that Blysma misused him. In the reg season, Morrow put up points and provided a real net presence creating space for guys like Bennett and Jokinen. This was what was exactly missing on Malkin-Neal's line. And it's still missing. Bennett will play there and that line will rack up points in the reg season, and then when the going gets tough there won't be anyone in front of the net (unless Bennett gets crazy).

But others have made the point, why bring Morrow back if he's just going to get misused? Well, ideally we'd have 1 player like that on each line. Our 3rd line should really be more balanced than what Blsyma employed. I could see Morrow-Sutter-D'Agostino working well, or some similar configuration of skills.

But we don't have the cap space right now for this kind of player*. So while the argument is moot, it brings up the discussion about what's going to happen with our 3rd line...which will be interesting to watch play out.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think MOrrow's and Iginla's situations were similar. They needed to salvage some kind of value out of Iginla to go into full rebuild. There is no one on that team waiting in the ranks. The Stars could have conceivably competed this year, they have a team that should be decent moving forward into next season.

They are similar, actually. Both teams were looking to move in a new direction. Iginla had played his entire career for Calgary and it's not unreasonable to think he would have stayed and retired with the Flames had he not been made available. There was considerable and serious discussion from major outlets prior to the trade that he wouldn't move. Likewise, Morrow had spent his entire career in Dallas and probably would have preferred to stay there as opposed to being traded. Both players were "forced" out to usher in a new era. In Dallas it was because of a young player ready to step in and take over as the face of the organization, which couldn't happen with the existing and long-term face of the organization on the roster. In Calgary it was to move on from an era while a player had value. In both situations, teams were moving on from franchise faces in situations where the player probably would have stayed.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Our third line is actually what scares me the most about this team as currently constructed.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Defence21 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Meh, he got shipped out of Dallas because he wasn't very good and dummies were willing to part with assets to get him. They signed 2 40 year olds to 2 year deals (Whitney and Gonchar), if he was good and not an upcoming UFA they would have kept him. They have decent talent there, guys like Morrow would be much needed with all the young forwards they have on the team and in e system.

I disagree. It's my understanding that Morrow was traded because the Stars were ready to hand the team to Jamie Benn, who was ready to step out of Morrow's shadows as the team leader. Much similar to what happened in Calgary with Iginla, the Stars simply were ready for a changing of the guard that wouldn't and couldn't happen with Morrow there. Whitney and Gonchar were brought in as short-term revolving-door type players. Their age is irrelevant.

Think of it as a Lemieux/Crosby thing. As long as Lemieux played, it was his team, regardless of Crosby's skills. Lemieux retired and Crosby took over as "the man." That's what happened in Dallas with Morrow and Benn.

As for Morrow overall, I'd like to have him back in Pittsburgh as a third liner at around $1.5 - $2 million (cap issues not withstanding). He's precisely what is needed on the third line, even if his wheels aren't what they once were. His grit, in-your-face/run-through-a-wall-to-win attitude, and finishing skills (even if diminishing) certainly wouldn't hurt the team, considering the third/fourth lines are lacking in identity.

I don't know. That seems kind of stretch. This wasn't Mario / Sid. While Morrow was beloved he was a folk hero and not Mike Modano. I doubt he was holding back Benn and that seems like a pretty silly reason to trade a productive warrior/leader when that is exactly what a team like theirs would need.

It seems to me all the evidence points otherwise anyways. He wasn't very good at most aspects of the game with us, or the Stars, stars keep signing aging vets yet dumped him, nobody has signed morrow yet and he is a UFA plus some teams have plenty of cap space, he is supposedly what a young team would want out of a captain, Stars apparently could use playoff money and so on.

I just agree to disagree I guess.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Jesse wrote:Our third line is actually what scares me the most about this team as currently constructed.

We've got a glut of defensemen and a need for a winger. Hmmm.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Jesse wrote:Our third line is actually what scares me the most about this team as currently constructed.

Heh. I thought you were a big fan of the Sutter experience. I don't think his line will be too different this year, as far as the ultimate result
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:02 pm

pcm wrote:

3rd line... well for me its the PK that scares me the most.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:11 am

no name wrote:
pcm wrote:

Scuderi will help there. I think you might see more of Sid and/or Geno out there out of necessity out at forward.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:41 am

Froggy wrote:
no name wrote:
pcm wrote:

Scuderi will help there. I think you might see more of Sid and/or Geno out there out of necessity out at forward.

Not to mention that J-Mart likes to use his top players on the PK. He might be pushing DB for this.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Morrow wouldn't even be used correctly, he's too slow.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens2005 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Nobody has signed him yet.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mayday56 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:11 am

Would it be possible to give Morrow some sort of incentive based contract. He is exactly the type of player the Pens need. Its hard for anybody to come into a situation the way theses guys did at the deadline and be the players that everyone expected. They have to get comfortable , I know these guys are pros but they are human and just think when you guys have switched jobs...then he got hurt (kneecap) anyway if they could pick up any old player to do what Morrow does then why havent they? Morrow not signing yet is probably because he is waiting for someone to move some money around to fit him under the cap.Why not give him an incentive based contract the way Boston did with Iggy. That way its a win / win. Morrow saves face and it would be affordable for the pens. Now before you blast me I will say I know nothing about the cap so Im really not sure if they could even do an Incentive based contract but I do know Morrow is a warrior!!! its his intangibles that make him valuable.....
mayday56

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:39 am

The kind of incentive based contract i'd want to give a player like him is more commonly referred to as a non roster camp invite.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 am

Idoit40fans wrote:The kind of incentive based contract i'd want to give a player like him is more commonly referred to as a non roster camp invite.

Nothing wrong with that. He knows the guys, so Pittsburgh might have a leg up on other teams that might have a similar idea. He could be put in a battle with D'Agostini for a third line role. If he wins out, sign him to a 1-year incentive-based contract. D'Agostini can be waived. If he loses out, no harm no foul. It's a smart idea, really.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:12 am

Morrow is, I believe, too young to be given an incentive based contract (under 35). Possibly, this is why he has not yet signed with a team... if I were him I would be trying to sign a multi-year deal with a team, as next year he'll be subject to the 35 and over contract stipulations.

I could definitely see teams' hesitations. But then again, he came here and was a point per game player during the regular season. He's likely looking for a place that will be the right fit for a few years...

The Pens can't afford him though. So unless Shero makes a big move, Morrow ain't gonna be a Pen.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:23 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Froggy wrote:
no name wrote:
pcm wrote:

Not to mention that J-Mart likes to use his top players on the PK. He might be pushing DB for this.

I sure hope this rubs off on Blysma. If Malkin and Sid played on the PK, the whole dynamic of this team would change. Like Yzerman and Federov leading the way for the Wings (2 of their top 3 pking Fwds during playoffs).
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:00 pm

I thought you couldn't do incentive based contracts anymore under the new CBA?
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:12 pm

skullman80 wrote:I thought you couldn't do incentive based contracts anymore under the new CBA?

You can.

See: Iginla, Jarome
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 1h Canes continue to make a big push for Brenden Morrow. Biggest hangup? The dollars, of course.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins