Shutting off my cable. How to watch the Pens?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shutting off my cable. How to watch the Pens?

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:40 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:I gave up cable a couple of years ago; I got Center Ice through Roku and Apple TV and was able to see a fair amount of games, although they didn't show games that were carried on NHL Network. For those games I had to watch through devious internet sports sites. :scared:

Are you in the Pittsburgh area, though? won't CI black out games if so?

No, I should have specified - I'm in Charlotte.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Batman21 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:13 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
knives of ice wrote:subscribe to gamecenter. subscribe to unblock-us for $5 a month so you don't get any blackouts. hook your computer up to the tv via hdmi. problem solved.

Just to clarify, don't games on NBC and it's affiliates still get blocked out?

I've been contemplating this, as well.

nnnnnnnnnnope. last yr i got the nbc games on gamecenter as well. The only issue i had at all last yr was using it on ipad & iphone. From the forums, not everyone has this issue but on ipad/iphone u have to have location services turned on. the vpn/unblockus wld open the blackout for a little bit, but once the location cycled - usually when changing games - it would then blackout again, even over WiFi. this is not an issue with game consoles, appletv or computers.
Batman21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:16 pm

So game consoles, appletv, etc don't have location services? They all use the same IP from an ISP..
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:03 am

If I was single I would definitely do this. Cable TV prices have risen faster than even university prices.

Yeah if you are local to Pittsburgh you need a VPN service + gamecenter. In my situation, it is not worth it, since I have cable anyway. And renting a cable box just for Pen season is cheaper than a VPN + gamecenter.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:12 am

Crankshaft wrote:
knives of ice wrote:subscribe to gamecenter. subscribe to unblock-us for $5 a month so you don't get any blackouts. hook your computer up to the tv via hdmi. problem solved.

Just to clarify, don't games on NBC and it's affiliates still get blocked out?

I've been contemplating this, as well.

Worst case scenario for NBC games is grab an HD antenna. I know the OP is out of town, but I was able to pick up about 20 channels on mine and I live in a section of town covered by hills and trees. I think I paid $30 for a Phillips antenna at either Walmart or Target. That's probably middle of the road at those stores.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:47 am

Or just watch them online for free... Perfect quality for VLC streams.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:23 pm

NBC does stream out of market online and you can send them via airplay to Apple TV.

But NBC Sports sucks unless you actually know someone with a Comcast account and then you can stream them too, and send them via Airplay (I think), from the NBC Sports App.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Batman21 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:23 am

mac5155 wrote:So game consoles, appletv, etc don't have location services? They all use the same IP from an ISP..

They have location services but with the vpn/dns set up the location wont interfere.
Batman21
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:33 pm

If you use unblock.us or any similar site you will get every single game regardless of location or network via gamecenter
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rugbymuffin on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:37 am

Staples

Till they throw you out for staring too long.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:04 am

Some confusion here. Since the OP is in the Pittsburgh media market, I'll direct the answers to him:

1) An antenna will work for games on NBC only (assuming you have a good line of sight and a good enough antenna). So that's probably 3-6 regular season games. NBC also will have them available online (which is really cool because you can select which camera to view). NBC broadcasts WILL be blacked out for Game Center/Center Ice (NBC being national). In the past few years a couple of games showed up on NBC's digital substation MeTV or the CW. I doubt either will happen this year, but those would be available OTA.

2) Game Center will not work for you in Beaver Falls. Every Penguins game will be blacked out on it given that Root has paid a lot of money for the rights to air them in Pittsburgh, and they need you subscribing to cable to pay that bill. As others have said you CAN do things with a VPN to make it appear that you are from another location, but by the time you'd paid for that and paid for Game Center (and the possibility they find you in violation of the TOS and cut your service) you could just subscribe to cable for the 6 or so months of hockey season.

3) Assuming you do decide to use the VPN method, many Penguins games will still be blacked out. All game on NBC, NBC Sports Network, or the NHL Network will be blacked out. The NHL Network one is the killer - often they pick which game to broadcast that night based on current standings or rivalries - they aren't predetermined already. So if a Tuesday night Penguins at Colorado game becomes important for that reason it will still be shown locally on Root, and then nationally on NHL Network. Given it is available nationally, its blacked out. I don't have the number for last season but in 2011-2012 about 30 games were blacked out on Game Center/Center Ice because of this.

My personal solution has become to subscribe only during the season and then cancel for the summer. I've gotten new subscriber 6 month promos the last few years that I've done this. I'll call in October and tell them I'd really like to watch the hockey games if I can afford to and I'm always offered the 6 month introductory price. Since I own my own DVR, I'll record tons of things over those 6 months (stuff off History, Discovery, Nat Geo, etc) and then spend all summer watching those programs instead of channel surfing.

knives of ice wrote:If you use unblock.us or any similar site you will get every single game regardless of location or network via gamecenter

Sure about this? The blackouts on NBC/NBC Sports/NHLN are because those networks have paid for national broadcast rights. For this to work it would seem like it would have to be tricking the NHL into thinking you're in another country.

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/n ... omers.html

I think they're starting to see how few people in the 18-30 age group are subscribing to cable and are going to be forced to address it. As a single guy the idea that I could get $100+ worth of value from cable tv a month is ridiculous. I can rent two or three blurays a day from Redbox, go see 10 brand new Hollywood films, buy several of my favorite shows on DVD or itunes, or just save the money and find completely free alternatives.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby OutofFoil on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:05 am

Apple TV/Gamecenter works just fine over here. (Africa and Europe) No blackouts. The 1AM start time is a killer though. Just have to stay disciplined and not look at news before I watch the archived game from the night before.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:10 am

OutofFoil wrote:Apple TV/Gamecenter works just fine over here. (Africa and Europe) No blackouts. The 1AM start time is a killer though. Just have to stay disciplined and not look at news before I watch the archived game from the night before.

This is helpful for the next time I'm galavanting across Europe and Africa.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcmforless on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 am

Find a friend/relative that has Direct TV, tell them to call up and get another receiver for "another room" and then pay a portion of their bill, or pay for the cost of the sports package that needs to be added for Root sports and the extra receiver cost). You will need to put the dish up on the house yourself and run the cable, but that stuff can be found all over the place for sale.
I did this with our vacation house up by the lake. My mother has direct TV, I paid her for the sports package and the high def receiver. I grabbed a high definition dish that was left behind on one of my rental homes by a tenant (I have a collection of them and usually scrap them), put it on my lake house and for cheap money I have TV. We are there only on weekends and a few weeks during the summer so it would have been a tough sell to spend the full amount on directv for a part time use, so for us this was a great work around.
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 am

pcmforless wrote:Find a friend/relative that has Direct TV, tell them to call up and get another receiver for "another room" and then pay a portion of their bill, or pay for the cost of the sports package that needs to be added for Root sports and the extra receiver cost). You will need to put the dish up on the house yourself and run the cable, but that stuff can be found all over the place for sale.
I did this with our vacation house up by the lake. My mother has direct TV, I paid her for the sports package and the high def receiver. I grabbed a high definition dish that was left behind on one of my rental homes by a tenant (I have a collection of them and usually scrap them), put it on my lake house and for cheap money I have TV. We are there only on weekends and a few weeks during the summer so it would have been a tough sell to spend the full amount on directv for a part time use, so for us this was a great work around.

If you can afford a lake house, you can probably afford TV service.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby knives of ice on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:46 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:Some confusion here. Since the OP is in the Pittsburgh media market, I'll direct the answers to him:

1) An antenna will work for games on NBC only (assuming you have a good line of sight and a good enough antenna). So that's probably 3-6 regular season games. NBC also will have them available online (which is really cool because you can select which camera to view). NBC broadcasts WILL be blacked out for Game Center/Center Ice (NBC being national). In the past few years a couple of games showed up on NBC's digital substation MeTV or the CW. I doubt either will happen this year, but those would be available OTA.

2) Game Center will not work for you in Beaver Falls. Every Penguins game will be blacked out on it given that Root has paid a lot of money for the rights to air them in Pittsburgh, and they need you subscribing to cable to pay that bill. As others have said you CAN do things with a VPN to make it appear that you are from another location, but by the time you'd paid for that and paid for Game Center (and the possibility they find you in violation of the TOS and cut your service) you could just subscribe to cable for the 6 or so months of hockey season.

3) Assuming you do decide to use the VPN method, many Penguins games will still be blacked out. All game on NBC, NBC Sports Network, or the NHL Network will be blacked out. The NHL Network one is the killer - often they pick which game to broadcast that night based on current standings or rivalries - they aren't predetermined already. So if a Tuesday night Penguins at Colorado game becomes important for that reason it will still be shown locally on Root, and then nationally on NHL Network. Given it is available nationally, its blacked out. I don't have the number for last season but in 2011-2012 about 30 games were blacked out on Game Center/Center Ice because of this.

My personal solution has become to subscribe only during the season and then cancel for the summer. I've gotten new subscriber 6 month promos the last few years that I've done this. I'll call in October and tell them I'd really like to watch the hockey games if I can afford to and I'm always offered the 6 month introductory price. Since I own my own DVR, I'll record tons of things over those 6 months (stuff off History, Discovery, Nat Geo, etc) and then spend all summer watching those programs instead of channel surfing.

knives of ice wrote:If you use unblock.us or any similar site you will get every single game regardless of location or network via gamecenter

Sure about this? The blackouts on NBC/NBC Sports/NHLN are because those networks have paid for national broadcast rights. For this to work it would seem like it would have to be tricking the NHL into thinking you're in another country.

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/n ... omers.html

I think they're starting to see how few people in the 18-30 age group are subscribing to cable and are going to be forced to address it. As a single guy the idea that I could get $100+ worth of value from cable tv a month is ridiculous. I can rent two or three blurays a day from Redbox, go see 10 brand new Hollywood films, buy several of my favorite shows on DVD or itunes, or just save the money and find completely free alternatives.

i used unblock.us last year you 100% don't get blocked out on any game and its insanely easy to setup. $5 per month. read their forums about gamecenter, etc if you have questions there are no blackouts, likely because they show you in another country. it couldn't be more simple to get up and running either, especially on a PC

for me the best reason to utilize it with gamecenter on a PC you can have 4 games on at once, the software seperates the screen into 4 equal size boxes. then, if you watch in a dedicated home theater with a huge screen it works pretty well.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcmforless on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
pcmforless wrote:Find a friend/relative that has Direct TV, tell them to call up and get another receiver for "another room" and then pay a portion of their bill, or pay for the cost of the sports package that needs to be added for Root sports and the extra receiver cost). You will need to put the dish up on the house yourself and run the cable, but that stuff can be found all over the place for sale.

If you can afford a lake house, you can probably afford TV service.

I can, but I am a cheap ahole :)
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shyster on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:51 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:You could watch 50% of the games if you got season tickets.

Because I don't have a TV at home either, but do have season tickets, my consumption of Penguins hockey is either live viewing or by listening on the radio. I don't bother with streaming. I haven't watched a game on TV in ages, and it's actually weird for me to see televised hockey.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SixTeaSix on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:53 pm

You should research all of the carriers in your area and negoiate a deal. Often your current carrier will give you some discounts to retain your account if you "threaten" to leave them. Ive done that with Directv. You are going to get rid of your service, them realize the hoops that you have to jump through to watch any game and you will wish that you hadn't given left your provider. They got us by the balls. The more we scream, the harder they squeeze.
SixTeaSix

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Is this where I complain about Comcast not offering Center Ice in HD? Even craptastic Time Warner does that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:48 pm

SixTeaSix wrote:You should research all of the carriers in your area and negoiate a deal. Often your current carrier will give you some discounts to retain your account if you "threaten" to leave them. Ive done that with Directv. You are going to get rid of your service, them realize the hoops that you have to jump through to watch any game and you will wish that you hadn't given left your provider. They got us by the balls. The more we scream, the harder they squeeze.

Unfortunately with a lovely thing called franchising, most cable companies have a monopoly over a certain area. DirecTV/Dish are your only other options.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby socket on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:15 am

If you are brave enough to enter the unblock-us DNS settings into your router then the blackouts are removed on the roku/apple tv as well.
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:24 pm

All these hoops to jump through to avoid paying for cable tv.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:30 pm

viva la ben wrote:All these hoops to jump through to avoid paying for cable tv.

Its overpriced, and for a lot of people it does not provide enough value either.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:34 pm

1. Shut off cable
2. Download Pens mobile app
3. Listen to Mike Lange call the game and watch with your mind~~~~
4. Save Money AND Profit
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins