Bortozzo Files for Salary Arbitrartion

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bortozzo Files for Salary Arbitrartion

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:48 am

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427445

That isn't that surprising, I don't think. His tender is essentially the league minimum so he has nothing to lose. I am surprised that he filed but Jeffrey didn't. It would seem they'd do the same thing--i.e., if it made sense for one it made sense for the other. Maybe I'm missing something. Also, this means Jeffrey will sign his qualifying offer.

In other news, this thread will be among the most boring you've read in the past month. But that means it be reduced to Fire DB-Penguins System wars.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Bortozzo Files for Salary Arbitrartion

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:49 am

TheHammer24 wrote:
In other news, this thread will be among the most boring you've read in the past month.

Bot only cos it's oready been discossed, mon.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:21 am

If the judge knocks off 10k for each time he falls down, does our cap hit for him overall go negative?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 am

Judge rules that he should play for AHL salary in the NHL. If Bort wants out he should have told Shero. Shero would have accommodated him.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:52 am

Guessing he wants a one-way deal and doesn't feel like negotiating. Frankly, right now, unless a defenseman is moved Bortuzzo has no spot on this team. I'd be fine with him and Despres as a 3rd pairing if Nisky is moved but if we can swing the cap I'd rather keep Niskanen and send Jeffrey to WBS and trade Engellend or Bortuzzo to keep them as a 7th.

The cap hit can be up to about $900,K for his deal to not count against the cap in WBS even if it's one-way.

With Dumoulin and Samulsson ready for a cup of coffee and Scuderi in to kill penalties with martin, Orpik and Letang I don't see a great benefit to cling to Bortuzzo this year.

I just hate losing guys for nothing though so hopefully something gets worked out.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:22 pm

We certainly don't have a need for a young 6'4" defenseman with snarl to play on our bottom pairing for less $1m. Lets go sign an old guy for much more money to do the same job, but who will only get worse with time.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stevens25 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Why the hate on Bortz? He has a good chance of being a decent contributor in the upcoming years.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:47 pm

You know what would make this thread better? Pics of some random girl you claim as your own from Google images.

*poke*
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:02 pm

pcm wrote:We certainly don't have a need for a young 6'4" defenseman with snarl to play on our bottom pairing for less $1m. Lets go sign an old guy for much more money to do the same job, but who will only get worse with time.

No one is advocating that in any way. But if he somehow gets an award that does not work under the cap then he's a UFA.

Worst case is that this gets guys like Dumoulin, Samuelson, Ruopp, Harrington and maybe even McNeil, Seymour and D'Agostino could get a call up?

The only thing that could potentially bother me is again getting nothing for a decent prospect but it's not like there's a lack of big defensemen in WBS to replace him as a #7 on this team.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Glad this thread was created actually as I can't figure out any scenario outside of injury where Bortuzzo sees the ice this year. I like him but clearly that doesn't have any correlation to what the Pens do.

Shero is not done for sure but if Nisky and Engo remain, Bort is hosed.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Bortuzzo is exactly what this team needs. Big, tough, young, can fight, can hit, high energy, has untapped potential, and is cheap. Let's give him some quality playing time and see what he's got.

The team traded Morrow, traded Strait, traded Lovejoy, might be trading Nisky, didn't feel the need to play Despres last year, Dumoulin was deemed to be just about NHL ready but never got called up....and now people are suggesting cutting ties with Bortuzzo?
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:43 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Glad this thread was created actually as I can't figure out any scenario outside of injury where Bortuzzo sees the ice this year. I like him but clearly that doesn't have any correlation to what the Pens do.

Shero is not done for sure but if Nisky and Engo remain, Bort is hosed.

The fact that we don't have a ton of toughness in our group of forwards might basically "force" Engo into the lineup on most nights, which hurst Bortuzzo's chances even more. Nisky getting traded is perhaps his best chance to see 3rd pairing time but then you are left with a Bortuzzo/Engo pairing? That doesn't seem like it would work.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:21 pm

The U wrote:Bortuzzo is exactly what this team needs. Big, tough, young, can fight, can hit, high energy, has untapped potential,

Have you seen his fights last year? The only part of fighting he is good at is taking a beating. He looked almost as bad as Alex Semin fighting.......

Other than that, he is a good depth D for the Pens for most of the reasons you mentioned. I guess he goes the Lovejoy route to some team that he can have a regular role. I think he has potential for a career #5 or 6 D in this league, its just not with the Pens because we have no immediate need and we have higher potential prospects that will eventually take over his spot.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:24 pm

If he follows the lovejoy path, they should still be able to get a cheap 3 year deal out of him. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby taz71 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Most of the times players file for arbitration as a negotiating tool. I doubt it ends up in court.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:26 pm

I don't think bortuzzo has any leverage to gain. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to an arbitrator.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby taz71 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:55 pm

I would have thought is was more likely for Dustin to file for arbitration
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Colonel on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:05 pm

I thin he is a very solid 5th or 6th guy on defense. I feel he is NHL ready this year. Needs some more to mature, but at the NHL level, I don't think it will take him long at all. He has been and up down for a few years now....time to stay up for a while. I like the kid.....and hope it all works out for a roster spot.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Having your enforcer and go-to fighter on defense isn't wise. The Pens don't need to have the other 5 D play extra mins.
About Bortuzzo best highlights; scoring on Marty Brodeur and dunking a basketball after practice.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:32 pm

LOL @ the people calling Bort a 5 or 6. At what point in his career has he taken and held that spot in an NHL line up? He's not very good. For every one Scuderi who starts like dog doo-doo there are 1,000 other players who start like dog doo-doo and stay that way.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby scals37 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:LOL @ the people calling Bort a 5 or 6. At what point in his career has he taken and held that spot in an NHL line up? He's not very good. For every one Scuderi who starts like dog doo-doo there are 1,000 other players who start like dog doo-doo and stay that way.

:lol: I had to re-read this part like 8 times before I understood where you were getting at lol
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:19 pm

No offense against the dude, but what exactly leads Bortuzzo to believe that he deserves anything beyond the cursory/required raise?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Boogeyman on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:59 pm

columbia wrote:No offense against the dude, but what exactly leads Bortuzzo to believe that he deserves anything beyond the cursory/required raise?

The guy can play in this league. He's better than Brian Strait, who just got a 3 year one way deal. The Penguins have been catering to other players at Bortuzzo's expense.

Bortuzzo's agent is probably not stupid. Bortuzzo is 24 going on 25. It's time to either start getting paid or start giving signals that you wouldn't be opposed to being dealt elsewhere. Arbitration is the answer for a guy in Bortuzzo's position.
Last edited by Boogeyman on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Yeah, but what about Bortuzzo? :slug:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 pm

He's probably just trying to leverage a one-way deal and maybe also two years instead of just one. Pretty unlikely this would go to arbitration.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins