Draft report: Tristan Jarry

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Draft report: Tristan Jarry

Postby Jesse on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:59 am

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/4draft-pr ... stan-jarry

Big fan of this pick. This kid has an inherent pedigree that you can't put into words. I've watched a lot of him the last two days, I am impressed.

Overall, a 3-5 year project, but a kid that has been groomed to be a goaltender since the age of seven. Unflappable, mature, and refined for his age.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Draft report: Tristan Jarry

Postby slappybrown on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:01 am

I have no idea what the other options might have been at that pick, but is there anyone else that you would have considered at 50 that would have had a shorter path to the NHL and provide more immediate help (say, 2 year timeframe rather than 3-5) in light of the cap? Obviously that is a tough thing to find outside of the top 10-20, but just curious if you were thinking anyone else at that pick.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:15 am

Jesse wrote:http://www.faceoff-factor.com/4draft-prospects/4869/draft-analysis-tristan-jarry

Big fan of this pick. This kid has an inherent pedigree that you can't put into words. I've watched a lot of him the last two days, I am impressed.

Overall, a 3-5 year project, but a kid that has been groomed to be a goaltender since the age of seven. Unflappable, mature, and refined for his age.

I, too, am a huge fan of it. I was all line up to take him in my sim hockey league, then Toronto swooped in and grabbed him a couple picks before me.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby taz71 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:36 am

I really like the pick. Sures up our weakest prospect depth between him Murray and Hartzell.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:18 am

Three big things I like about Jarry's game. He is anchored to the net very well. Doesn't explode across the crease to the point of over-committing. He plays the puck calmly and deliberately. He is a battler. He works hard to look around screens and doesn't give up on plays. His rebound control is a bit lacking because he does not effectively use his stick while down in the butterfly. Although he drops into the butterfly a bit early sometimes, he smoothly comes out of it quickly enough that I don't see it being a huge issue for him - especially because of this height.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bse on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:45 am

I instantly liked the pick. For once, our future goaltending depth looks a bit brighter. Vokoun is gone in a year, and we have Hartzell waiting for an opportunity.

And you never know what happens with Fleury. Jarry is very welcome.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:56 am

bse wrote:I instantly liked the pick. For once, our future goaltending depth looks a bit brighter. Vokoun is gone in a year, and we have Hartzell waiting for an opportunity.

And you never know what happens with Fleury. Jarry is very welcome.

It's something that should've happened years ago, though. Not because anyone thought Fleury would turn into the playoff wreck that he has, but because it's poor management to let any position run that dry of prospects.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:59 am

Yeah I can't believe how few goalies they've drafted the last 5 or so years. I'm thrilled with the idea of drafting guys that are going back to Juniors for a few years rather than signing 4 year college goalies as UFAs that are going to expire right away and you have no control of.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Agreed - it was bad to let that position run so dry and fill it with nothing but low-risk low-reward guys (Curry, Thiessen, Zatkoff, Hartzell)

What's the story on Murray and McGuire?

I do think adding Jarry into the mix makes it a little easier for us to move MAF next summer, as we can ride Vokoun for another year or two or else find someone else in the 35 y/o range to stopgap until Jarry can take over.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Answering my own question.

Appears Maguire spllit time at BU (21 starts) but had solid numbers (2.54 GAA, .926 SV%)

Matt Murray had poor numbers for Sault Ste. Marie (3.67/.894 in 53 games)

In both cases, obviously, numbers only tell a part of the story.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins