Free agency

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Free agency

Postby Jamie on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 pm

It appears as if the Caps are going to buy out Jeff Shultz. What do you all think about taking a chance on this guy? Several years experience and 6'-6" over 200 Lbs. Was a plus 50 in 09-10 I believe. Looking for a new opportunity to see more ice time than Washington was giving him, and had requested a trade after the Caps exited the playoffs.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MarioLives on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:19 pm

I always liked the guy. Adds toughness to the team.

Also, quite funny if you mean they are going to use the amnesty on him. GMGM was just quoted as saying they dont believe in that option, since it gives teams that make poor decisions, a way out.
Last edited by MarioLives on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:20 pm

He's a defenseman
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GDR on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:21 pm

I think Hal Gill is slower than Douglas Murray at this point.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Always been a fan of the guy...just not sure what position he plays.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I'd bring back Iglina.

:thumb:

What's funny is that, had Iginla played for Boston and done what he did with Pittsburgh, Penguins fans right now would be drooling at an opportunity to sign him as a free agent. But, as it goes with fans, a player is either supremely overrated or underrated. In this case, Iginla is being underrated. He's not Iginla of five years ago, but he's a valuable player to have in the mix, and if he replaces Dupuis, there's a good chance he'll be on Crosby's right wing, which is his natural position, which would put him in a better position to succeed.

agree 100%
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:24 pm

GDR wrote:I think Hal Gill is slower than Douglas Murray at this point.

He always was.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:24 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Always been a fan of the guy...just not sure what position he plays.

lol
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:43 pm

Pitts wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Always been a fan of the guy...just not sure what position he plays.

lol

HE'S A DEFENSEMAN!!
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Schultz might be the softest 6'6" guy in the history of hockey.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Doesn't play a position. He wrote the Peanuts comic strip.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:17 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:I am in the "dump Jokinen" camp. Just like Tyler Kennedy, I think he is too expensive for his role.

I need a qualified explanation about why $2.1mil is too much for a guy that can play the wing, win faceoffs, kill penalties, and find the net with some regularity. Its just mystifying, unless you just don't like the guy...

The salaries of Malkin, Crosby, and Letang is one reason. The Pens need to be more cost effective. Look, I liked the pickup of Jokinen when the Pens got him, was excited when he was doing well, but I don't think he is top 6 material, is too expensive for a bottom 6 role, and too expensive to sit in the press box waiting for an injury.

The Pens spent all season trying to find a winger for Malkin. Nobody really clicked there enough to stay. Now we lose Dupuis, and you are going to have the same situation on both of your top 2 lines? Beau Bennett is going to get a shot, and I like what I've seen from him. I think he can come close to replacing Dupuis production, but that is a guess and a gamble at this point. I am in the mindset that going in with Bennett and Jokinen in your top 6 is a downgrade from last year.

Remember, Jokinen was placed on waivers by Carolina before the Pens got him in a trade, in which Carolina paid part of his salary. Paid to get him off the team. Look at his numbers, they've gone down every year since he scored 30 in 09-10.

Below is something I'd like to see, which I don't think is a far-fetched roster at all. I dumped Vitale and Jokinen for whatever we could get. Pens add 3 players with size and toughness. Your bottom 2 line players are both excellent defensive forwards, PKs, Smithson is excellent on faceoffs. With the changes I made, I dumped 2.65mil in salary (Jokinen and Vitale) and there isn't much wiggle room left. Things are going to be tight next year for sure.

FORWARDS
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / David Clarkson ($4.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Eric Nystrom ($1.250m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Craig Adams ($0.750m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) / Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.660m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Brooks Orpik ($3.750m)
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Brian Dumoulin ($0.900m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,095,833; BONUSES: $85,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $289,167

But you have Cooke at almost the same hit, and you resigned a 36 year old at $750k and moved Vitale at $575k? Why not keep Vitale and Jokinen and keep the cap space?

This is what I'm getting at... a lot of reasons to retain or sign other guys, but still not a 'dump Jokinen' reason to be found. I think he's a bargain at $2.1mil...
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:21 pm

First TK and now JJ, why are you guys acting like 2M is a lot to spend on a player? Especially one who can actually score goals. It's not...at all...

players with a similar cap hit:

Todd Bertuzzi
Darren Helm
Colin Wilson
Raffi Torres
Ryan Smyth
Torrey Mitchell
Chris Neil
Zack Smith
Adam Burish
Travis Moen
Justin Abdelkader
Eric Belanger

etc.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Jokinen wasn't playing top 6 in Carolina for a while. He'd be fine to replace Dupuis and Bennett can continue to perform as well. Jeffrey can slide into the 3rd line LW spot easily, just need a solid, young, fast brutal RW to round out that line. I'm fine to platoon Zolnercyk and Adams on 4th line.

Nisky and Bortuzzo/Engellend are your bottom pairing unless Nisky is moved for that RW or to free up cap space for a Scuderi or depth for an Eaton again.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:49 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:First TK and now JJ, why are you guys acting like 2M is a lot to spend on a player? Especially one who can actually score goals. It's not...at all...etc.

A $2 million cap hit is good or bad relatively speaking. Just saying "$2 million is not at all a lot to spend" leaves out a lot of stipulations. Would $2 million be a lot for Craig Adams? Would it be a lot of Sidney Crosby? The answer is drastically different. Somewhere in between lie the Kennedies and Jokinens of the world.

To me, Kennedy is worth $2 million, but not to the Penguins. He's shown capable of being a quality third liner with 20 goal potential. He's also shown capable of being a healthy scratch who isn't in the least bit missed. For the Penguins, a team that can't afford to pay a player $2 million to play on the fourth line or ride the pine, Kennedy is a commodity too expensive to keep.

On the other hand, Jokinen is a veratile player capable of playing up and down the lineup, capable of scoring goals and preventing them, and capable of winning big faceoffs. He's also shown a willingness to get involved in the physical side of the game, though I'd refrain from calling him physical. He's a jack of all trades, master or none. While his footspeed is far from compariable, as a player, he reminds me a bit of Dupuis before he found his niche with Crosby. Dupuis was a jack of all trades, master of none who filled many roles at an affordable price. Once given an opportunity with to consistently play with a star center, he transformed into a solid winger, even changing from his natural left wing to the right side to accommodate Kunitz.

Maybe the Dupuis/Jokinen comparison is a bit off, given their overall pedigree and skill-sets, but the situations, to me, are similar. At worst, Jokinen is a third liner and penalty killer. At best, he's a scoring line winger and/or injury fill-in. He's much more versatile and, to me, much more valuable to the Penguins, which is why I have a much easier time justifying his $2 million cap hit when compared with Kennedy's. This all could change after the season starts, but I saw nothing of him last season that leads me to believe any differently.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:57 pm

schultz i miserable. i watch most caps games, and he is the worst. there isnt a caps fan in dc who likes him. he would make doug murray look like usain bolt. aside from being the slowest player ive ever seen, hes also the softest.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jamie on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Another guy I would like to see the Pens take a run at is Oiler LW Ryan Jones. He has some size and skill, plays physical, and blocks a decent amount of shots. He suffered an eye injury last season, so not sure that would effect him going forward. Could be good on the 3rd line and play spot duty in the top two lines.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Basically, Jokinen is a luxury. His ideal spot in the lineup is on the bench, when everyone's healthy. He's a great short term plug-in. But I'd rather use his cap space on an upgrade for a specific role in the lineup.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:35 pm

JJ is gonna earn it this year. We are going to be thankful that carolina ate some cap.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:42 pm

meow wrote:Schultz might be the softest 6'6" guy in the history of hockey.

Remember Cory Cross?
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Looking like Dupuis might actually re-sign.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:46 pm

pcm wrote:Looking like Dupuis might actually re-sign.

Where did you see that?
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Michael Scott on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:47 pm

wondermoose wrote:
meow wrote:Schultz might be the softest 6'6" guy in the history of hockey.

Remember Cory Cross?

Peter Popovic
Michael Scott
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Keep Jokinen and re-sign Dupuis and Cooke,add someone like Smithson..

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Jokinen
Smithson - Vitale - Glass
Jeffrey
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:21 pm

pcm wrote:Basically, Jokinen is a luxury. His ideal spot in the lineup is on the bench, when everyone's healthy. He's a great short term plug-in. But I'd rather use his cap space on an upgrade for a specific role in the lineup.

With Dupuis likely gone, I don't see another candidate to sign a top 6 player for $2M. Hell, guys like Clarkson (aka perennial 25-35 point player until the last few years) is going to make as much as James ****in' Neal! That is insane. Even MacArthur is going to make a ton and people have him penciled in on our 3rd line. I don't know if we can afford very many 'upgrades'.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins