Free agency

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Free agency

Postby DelPen on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:25 am

Morrow is the absolute wrong direction to go in the regular season. He is too old and slow just like Iginla.

We really only have one spot that needs addressed on the 3rd line. Right now it would be most likely Jeffrey and Bennett only because I think Jokinen will play with Malkin to help with defensive draws and the guy has great hands and speed and will do the little things right.

Bennett would actually be an awesome LW for Sutter to finish plays and Bennett's defense is outstanding. Moving Niskanen is a necessity now to get Despres and Bortuzzo regular time and we have a tone of depth in WBS to call up and that has never been any problem in the past when we lose defensemen during the regular season. Bylsma just plugs them in and the team responds.

So move Nisky and Jeffrey for an upgrade on the 3rd line LW or RW. Some guys who are still cheap, young and big from teams who need a defenseman:

Marcus Foligno, BUF
Colin Greening, OTT
Matt Martin, NYI
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,192
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Free agency

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:15 am

DelPen wrote:Morrow is the absolute wrong direction to go in the regular season. He is too old and slow just like Iginla.

We really only have one spot that needs addressed on the 3rd line. Right now it would be most likely Jeffrey and Bennett only because I think Jokinen will play with Malkin to help with defensive draws and the guy has great hands and speed and will do the little things right.

Bennett would actually be an awesome LW for Sutter to finish plays and Bennett's defense is outstanding. Moving Niskanen is a necessity now to get Despres and Bortuzzo regular time and we have a tone of depth in WBS to call up and that has never been any problem in the past when we lose defensemen during the regular season. Bylsma just plugs them in and the team responds.

So move Nisky and Jeffrey for an upgrade on the 3rd line LW or RW. Some guys who are still cheap, young and big from teams who need a defenseman:

Marcus Foligno, BUF
Colin Greening, OTT
Matt Martin, NYI


I doubt Greening is in play or that we would trade with Ottawa, but Greening looked good in our playoff series against the Sens. I don't know much else about him though.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:40 am
Location: Virginia

Re: Free agency

Postby Nizzy on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:18 am

I think we should sign Morrow.

Whats the point of giving up all these 1sts + Prospects/Former 1sts if we aren't trying to keep anyone long term?

Satan on the 4th line in 2009 worked out well, We also had slow Guerin.

Trade Niskanen.

3M cap space to sign Morrow + Bortuzzo.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,594
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Yaoming_meme.jpg

Re: Free agency

Postby Trip McNeely on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:45 am

I know many here will hate this idea, but I could see GMRS signing Colby Armstrong to a minimum, possibly 2 way deal to maybe provide some competition in the bottom 6. I'm not sure how much I would like it either, but there are worse options to fill out the roster. He would bring some of that grit that is missing though
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:07 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Free agency

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:59 am

Colby Armstrong sucks.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,577
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Free agency

Postby DelPen on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:50 am

skullman80 wrote:Colby Armstrong sucks.


but he would be a good fit on Sutter's RW. He can still skate and hit and has OK hands. Bennett/Jokinen-Sutter-Armstrong is a nice looking 3rd line.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,192
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Free agency

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:53 am

I'm a little surprised that Murray is still on the market.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,356
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Free agency

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:57 am

DelPen wrote:Morrow is the absolute wrong direction to go in the regular season.


You nullified your point expertly.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,942
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Free agency

Postby Trip McNeely on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:58 am

DelPen wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Colby Armstrong sucks.


but he would be a good fit on Sutter's RW. He can still skate and hit and has OK hands. Bennett/Jokinen-Sutter-Armstrong is a nice looking 3rd line.


To add to that, would you rather have Jeffrey or Armstrong at the position if the contracts were equal? He could be ok as the forechecker/hitter on that line and open up space for Bennett
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:07 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Free agency

Postby Penspal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:59 am

columbia wrote:I'm a little surprised that Murray is still on the market.


Me too. Perhaps the longer he's around, the cheaper he would become. I'd consider him and upgrade of Engelland, but man the defence is a logam with good prospects in the pipe.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,364
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Free agency

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:20 am

DelPen wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Colby Armstrong sucks.


but he would be a good fit on Sutter's RW. He can still skate and hit and has OK hands. Bennett/Jokinen-Sutter-Armstrong is a nice looking 3rd line.


No he wouldn't, no he can't, no he doesn't, no it isn't.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,539
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Free agency

Postby Pitts on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:28 am

No to Armstrong please! I hate recycling players that weren't very effective the first time they were here.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,352
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Free agency

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:31 am

Penspal wrote:
columbia wrote:I'm a little surprised that Murray is still on the market.


Me too. Perhaps the longer he's around, the cheaper he would become. I'd consider him and upgrade of Engelland, but man the defence is a logam with good prospects in the pipe.


Trade one for a cheap forward prospect.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,113
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: Free agency

Postby meow on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:35 am

skullman80 wrote:Colby Armstrong sucks.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,824
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Free agency

Postby Trip McNeely on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:52 am

meow wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Colby Armstrong sucks.


So people are ok with Jeffrey as the last piece of the Sutter-Bennett-x line?? Because with the cap situation, we aren't getting much more than him to be honest. Morrow will sign at a min for 2 million I would guess. And thats even if we move Niskanen. Shero likes to be about 1 million under the cap at least for callups
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:07 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Free agency

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:58 am

Trip McNeely wrote:
meow wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Colby Armstrong sucks.


So people are ok with Jeffrey as the last piece of the Sutter-Bennett-x line?? Because with the cap situation, we aren't getting much more than him to be honest. Morrow will sign at a min for 2 million I would guess. And thats even if we move Niskanen. Shero likes to be about 1 million under the cap at least for callups


No. Doesn't mean you go out and sign a turd like Colby Armstrong because its the only name you recognize.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,539
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Free agency

Postby Trip McNeely on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Trip McNeely wrote:
meow wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Colby Armstrong sucks.


So people are ok with Jeffrey as the last piece of the Sutter-Bennett-x line?? Because with the cap situation, we aren't getting much more than him to be honest. Morrow will sign at a min for 2 million I would guess. And thats even if we move Niskanen. Shero likes to be about 1 million under the cap at least for callups


No. Doesn't mean you go out and sign a turd like Colby Armstrong because its the only name you recognize.


Per capgeek, there are possibly 3 players avaliable that could be signed at a rate we could afford and are decent hockey players: Brandon Yip, Jerred Smithson, and Chad Larose. All three, especially Larose will probably be out of our price range. Danny Cleary would be great, but he wants 3 years.

Armstrong at a league min, maybe even a two way deal. The benefit clearly outweighs the risk
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:07 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Free agency

Postby The U on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:
Trip McNeely wrote:
meow wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Colby Armstrong sucks.


So people are ok with Jeffrey as the last piece of the Sutter-Bennett-x line?? Because with the cap situation, we aren't getting much more than him to be honest. Morrow will sign at a min for 2 million I would guess. And thats even if we move Niskanen. Shero likes to be about 1 million under the cap at least for callups


No. Doesn't mean you go out and sign a turd like Colby Armstrong because its the only name you recognize.


Per capgeek, there are possibly 3 players avaliable that could be signed at a rate we could afford and are decent hockey players: Brandon Yip, Jerred Smithson, and Chad Larose. All three, especially Larose will probably be out of our price range. Danny Cleary would be great, but he wants 3 years.

Armstrong at a league min, maybe even a two way deal. The benefit clearly outweighs the risk


I believe the Pens had interest in LaRose in the past, not sure if that is over and done with though.

Also, just because a guy like Armstrong isn't getting the offers he wants, doesn't mean he will agree to a veteran minimum contract with the Pens. Why sign for 800k in Pittsburgh when you can go to the KHL and make $2 or 3 mil tax free for a year with all living expenses paid for? $2 million in Russia with all of your expenses paid for and no tax is like getting paid almost $4 million here.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,449
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Re: Free agency

Postby meow on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:34 pm

I'd be more interested in LaRose if he didn't wear that awful looking bucket.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,824
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Free agency

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
taz71 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
taz71 wrote:Talbot and his 1.75 cap hit is looking pretty good right now

The Talbot that was playing uninspired hockey, floated, and all around just didn't give a crap didn't deserve that contract at the time. If he needed a big contract he didn't deserve from a cross state rival to jump start his game he's not a guy I'd want here.


Rather have Morrow or Cleary for a 1 year deal but I would take him on third line at age 29 if flyers where willing to take on Nisky

To get 500k in cap space? Nah bro.

Not saying Talbot is a player I'm interested in, but the idea of trading Niskanen and his $2.3 million cap hit for a forward with a similar or lower cap hit isn't all that bad. It doesn't clear space, but it re-allocates money in a way that helps fill out the lines a little better.

The Penguins have seven defensemen under contract with an eighth, Bortuzzo, likely to sign very cheaply. Meanwhile, they have 11 forwards signed, with a 12th, Jeffrey, to sign cheaply. If they can take a defenseman such as Niskanen and trade him for another forward, they can create a bit more balance with regard to depth, while opening up some cap space to retain someone like Jeffrey or Bortuzzo.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,793
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Free agency

Postby Grunthy on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:06 pm

am i the only one that never liked colby armstrong? I really don't want him back. I was glad he was gone.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,763
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: Free agency

Postby skullman80 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Grunthy wrote:am i the only one that never liked colby armstrong? I really don't want him back. I was glad he was gone.


I'm with you.. He wasn't anything special here the first time. Dime a dozen player.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,577
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Free agency

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:13 pm

But Colbee is teh funnee!!!
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,636
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:02 am
Location: This Island Earth

Re: Free agency

Postby KG on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:18 pm

skullman80 wrote:
Grunthy wrote:am i the only one that never liked colby armstrong? I really don't want him back. I was glad he was gone.


I'm with you.. He wasn't anything special here the first time. Dime a dozen player.


Dime a dozen he may be. But we don't have any!
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,966
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Free agency

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:21 pm

Grunthy wrote:am i the only one that never liked colby armstrong? I really don't want him back. I was glad he was gone.


I hated (and continue to hate) the love affair/obsession with a mediocre (now atrocious) hockey player simply because he was a goofball. My disdain for Armstrong was cemented at the first home game after he was traded to Atlanta. The Penguins had just traded scraps and a shred of hope to Atlanta for one of the best wingers in the league and an awesome role player (who turned out to be more awesome than expected) and some moronic woman who doesn't deserve the privelege of watching hockey was holding a sign that read "Shero is no hero! Bring back Colby! heart heart heart".

Don't let the door hit your beak on your way out of the league ya scrub.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,539
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pitts, saints11 and 12 guests

e-mail