TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:27 am

Too bad nobody asked him what he thought of his regular season performance.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,560
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 am

JS© wrote:
shmenguin wrote:from the article: “I’m not really sure. I thought I had a great playoff, and I’m kind of stumped,”

clearly responding to a pointed question. so if he's asked, "any thoughts on why you were scratched?", he's supposed to say..."the penguins were a great organization to be a part of. i'm grateful for the years i spent in pittsburgh". that wouldn't be weird at all.


or "With the number of forwards that were carried on the roster during this year's playoffs, there was only a limited number that were able to play. That is a decision made my management, but I made sure I was ready to go when my name was called."

and although this might not be fair to him, his regular season streakiness may have been the reason he was a post-season scratch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3895/gamelog

That's a lot of 0's lined up consecutively under his name.


that's a lot to ask for a guy who's interviewed like 5 minutes a year, but this has run its course. we can disagree.

he had a bad regular season, which is why he was rightfully scratched to start the playoffs. still doesn't explain why they pulled him out of the lineup when they did.

there's a possibility they did it for faceoff reasons, which is stupid enough to make my blood boil.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,840
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:32 am

slappybrown wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Dirty little secret - we outplayed Boston the majority of that series and deserved markedly better than a sweep. But deserves got nothing to do with, and sometimes luck (or lack thereof) and bounces don't go your way. **** happens.


0-4
2 goals the ENTIRE series.
0 for 15 on the PP

we were smoked, spanked, and discarded.

Any other description would be "Baghdad Bob" like

We hit what, 8 posts? I just disagree, let alone saying its Baghdad Bob-ish. Some of the numbers (eg shots and scoring chances) reflect it as well.


i HATE the we hit posts argument or all those close chances. So did Boston. The pens had like 10 chances that didn't go in. Guess what? Evey other series either team has that many a game, that's why they scored more. We didn't carry the play, we didn't come in waves and we didn't cycle. Our top end talent flies around and makes it look good but it wasn't.

We didn't carry the play, Boston trapped and sat back and watched our offense fart around then try to shoot from a mile away so their goalie (not fearing rebounds or traffic) stepped further out of his net to make scoring near impossible based off of geometry.

Also, the Blackhawks hit a post in Game 6. It was deflected by traffic at the top if the circle so it threw off the Bruins goalie who stepped out to save the initial shot, and then hit a post which was banked in off of a 3rd Hawks player who was in front of the net.

Yeah, that. Weird how it works.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,113
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:35 am

careful, BurghersAndDogsSports, those missed shots contributed to our CORSI score. you're dealing with rock hard evidence here.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,840
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:36 am

Not surprised TK would be bashed a little on the way out. That comment is no big deal. He SHOULD have played more. Bylsma SHOULD have been fired. The team SHOULD be re-making it's style and philosophy. None of that happened.

Let's continue to hope that Chicago's offensive tempo game means we can win with this roster too. They had a mediocre goalie and limited scoring in long stretches from their top scorers yet still won. I place more blame on the rest of the top 6 and then some on Crosby and almost just feel sick for Geno. He was snake bitten.

If TK is the big change from the lineup that started last season here, then I don't know what to say. I'm happy to move on from all the FA additions from the deadline (in hindsight they slowed out game) but TK was never a problem for this team. He consistently played well in every playoff we've ever been in - so why do we care so much about his regular season when our failures occur after April?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,282
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:43 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Dirty little secret - we outplayed Boston the majority of that series and deserved markedly better than a sweep. But deserves got nothing to do with, and sometimes luck (or lack thereof) and bounces don't go your way. **** happens.


0-4
2 goals the ENTIRE series.
0 for 15 on the PP

we were smoked, spanked, and discarded.

Any other description would be "Baghdad Bob" like

We hit what, 8 posts? I just disagree, let alone saying its Baghdad Bob-ish. Some of the numbers (eg shots and scoring chances) reflect it as well.


i HATE the we hit posts argument or all those close chances. So did Boston. The pens had like 10 chances that didn't go in. Guess what? Evey other series either team has that many a game, that's why they scored more. We didn't carry the play, we didn't come in waves and we didn't cycle. Our top end talent flies around and makes it look good but it wasn't.

We didn't carry the play, Boston trapped and sat back and watched our offense fart around then try to shoot from a mile away so their goalie (not fearing rebounds or traffic) stepped further out of his net to make scoring near impossible based off of geometry. s.


This isn't true at all. Go look at the shot charts outside of Game 2. The Penguins had more scoring chances than the Bruins did. That's just fact. Rask and luck were the deciding factors in the series IMO, and while I'm not saying we "should" have won, because things like that are meaningless, this wasn't a series where we got our doors blown off despite the sweep.

Yea, we got shut out on the PP. Guess what Boston did? 0-14, one better than our 0-15. Chara put up no points in the four games, just like our big names. Boston was out-shot and out-chanced. If you think that in most series, that results in a sweep, then I don't know what to say.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,259
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:47 am

shmenguin wrote:careful, BurghersAndDogsSports, those missed shots contributed to our CORSI score. you're dealing with rock hard evidence here.

Agreed, Fenwick is probably superior.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,259
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:48 am

Chara put up no points in the four games, just like our big names.


weird comparison.

posts aren't bad luck. they're bad execution. it was closer than a typical sweep, but boston controlled that series. from the 2nd period of game 1 on, they dictated the terms and we had no answer.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,840
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:49 am

shmenguin wrote:
Chara put up no points in the four games, just like our big names.


weird comparison.

posts aren't bad luck. they're bad execution. it was closer than a typical sweep, but boston controlled that series. from the 2nd period of game 1 on, they dictated the terms and we had no answer.

shrug dot jpeg
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,259
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:53 am

This is going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooooong offseason.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,259
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:53 am

slappybrown wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Dirty little secret - we outplayed Boston the majority of that series and deserved markedly better than a sweep. But deserves got nothing to do with, and sometimes luck (or lack thereof) and bounces don't go your way. **** happens.


0-4
2 goals the ENTIRE series.
0 for 15 on the PP

we were smoked, spanked, and discarded.

Any other description would be "Baghdad Bob" like

We hit what, 8 posts? I just disagree, let alone saying its Baghdad Bob-ish. Some of the numbers (eg shots and scoring chances) reflect it as well.


i HATE the we hit posts argument or all those close chances. So did Boston. The pens had like 10 chances that didn't go in. Guess what? Evey other series either team has that many a game, that's why they scored more. We didn't carry the play, we didn't come in waves and we didn't cycle. Our top end talent flies around and makes it look good but it wasn't.

We didn't carry the play, Boston trapped and sat back and watched our offense fart around then try to shoot from a mile away so their goalie (not fearing rebounds or traffic) stepped further out of his net to make scoring near impossible based off of geometry. s.


This isn't true at all. Go look at the shot charts outside of Game 2. The Penguins had more scoring chances than the Bruins did. That's just fact. Rask and luck were the deciding factors in the series IMO, and while I'm not saying we "should" have won, because things like that are meaningless, this wasn't a series where we got our doors blown off despite the sweep.

Yea, we got shut out on the PP. Guess what Boston did? 0-14, one better than our 0-15. Chara put up no points in the four games, just like our big names. Boston was out-shot and out-chanced. If you think that in most series, that results in a sweep, then I don't know what to say.


My eyeballs told me the wings, kings and sharks had real chances in their losses. They swarmed and played playoff hockey and made games competive from start to finish. The Bruins had like 5 times as many chances as the Hawks at on point late in game 6.

The Pens didn't swarm or create real chances and the Bruins played a passive offensive game because that's all they needed, to not screw up.

We scored 2 goals in a series and we are discussing bad luck. Really?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,113
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:54 am

Good luck TK!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,458
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby bh on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:54 am

Booo Hisss. I will miss you TK.
The only reason I'm cool with him moving on is that he was making 2 mil and that's just a little too much.
You should have played more. Good luck little Tiger or what everyone calls you round these parts.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,506
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:11 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
My eyeballs told me the wings, kings and sharks had real chances in their losses. They swarmed and played playoff hockey and made games competive from start to finish. The Bruins had like 5 times as many chances as the Hawks at on point late in game 6.

The Pens didn't swarm or create real chances and the Bruins played a passive offensive game because that's all they needed, to not screw up.

We scored 2 goals in a series and we are discussing bad luck. Really?

I guess I felt like I was waiting for the dam to break and it never did. It felt to my eyeballs that we were so close to breaking through at various points, and if we could just get a couple bounces -- eg a puck or two going in off the post instead of out -- that it would have been vastly different. These were incredibly tight games outside of Game 2. Repeating this mantra that we only scored two goals belies how close it was IMO.

But whatever, we disagree, its fine.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,259
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:16 pm

slappybrown wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
My eyeballs told me the wings, kings and sharks had real chances in their losses. They swarmed and played playoff hockey and made games competive from start to finish. The Bruins had like 5 times as many chances as the Hawks at on point late in game 6.

The Pens didn't swarm or create real chances and the Bruins played a passive offensive game because that's all they needed, to not screw up.

We scored 2 goals in a series and we are discussing bad luck. Really?

I guess I felt like I was waiting for the dam to break and it never did. It felt to my eyeballs that we were so close to breaking through at various points, and if we could just get a couple bounces -- eg a puck or two going in off the post instead of out -- that it would have been vastly different. These were incredibly tight games outside of Game 2. Repeating this mantra that we only scored two goals belies how close it was IMO.

But whatever, we disagree, its fine.


Agree to disagree on this. I don't think the bruins had to make too many tough saves and certainly no second chances. Just comparing to what I saw in other games I thought we were terrible in creating real chances.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,113
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby André on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:48 pm

I agree with slappybrown to some extent. Looking past game two the Pens had more posts and good scoring chances missed than the opposition and whatever the standard amount is. No doubt. A sweep is a sweep, nonetheless, there's no saying the Bruins just weren't that much better.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,337
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:21 pm

I think the total of 2 goals tells a lot more about the series than the sweep.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,245
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby André on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:25 pm

On TK: Funny how a vast majority on the official Facebook page seems to mourn his departure. I say that's nothing but fan-thinking as he's been with the Pens a long time and is a good guy. Kind of like with Fleury.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,337
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:26 pm

André wrote:On TK: Funny how a vast majority on the official Facebook page seems to mourn his departure. I say that's nothing but fan-thinking as he's been with the Pens a long time and is a good guy. Kind of like with Fleury.

On the PG's article on the trade, there were comments saying that the Pens should keep Kennedy and trade "that bum" Letang. :lol: I don't even know...

I'm not even sure I want to root for the same team as some of these people. :face: :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,160
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby Paekman on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:31 pm

If TK made Adams or Glass money, he'd be a fan favorite and likely still with the club. The bottom line is that he never, ever lived up to the expectations the club had for him (were those expectations ever clearly communicated?) and he never really lived up to the salary he was paid either. TK had a few great moments with the Penguins, but no where near enough of them for me to be too crestfallen about his departure.
Paekman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 752
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:24 am
Location: Washington, PA

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Dirty little secret - we should have lost in the first round. rolls eyes

Execution is all that matters, and the Pens failed to accomplish anything against the Bruins.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,366
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Paekman wrote:If TK made Adams or Glass money, he'd be a fan favorite and likely still with the club. The bottom line is that he never, ever lived up to the expectations the club had for him (were those expectations ever clearly communicated?) and he never really lived up to the salary he was paid either. TK had a few great moments with the Penguins, but no where near enough of them for me to be too crestfallen about his departure.


TK was worth 2 million last year. he helped get the best out of staal and vice versa. if both players were healthy all year, he would have been a 50-60 point player - almost exclusively at even strength. and he brought it in the playoffs.

the problem is that he hasn't done well with anyone other than staal. he's done abysmally, actually.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,840
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby meow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:21 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Paekman wrote:If TK made Adams or Glass money, he'd be a fan favorite and likely still with the club. The bottom line is that he never, ever lived up to the expectations the club had for him (were those expectations ever clearly communicated?) and he never really lived up to the salary he was paid either. TK had a few great moments with the Penguins, but no where near enough of them for me to be too crestfallen about his departure.


TK was worth 2 million last year. he helped get the best out of staal and vice versa. if both players were healthy all year, he would have been a 50-60 point player - almost exclusively at even strength. and he brought it in the playoffs.

the problem is that he hasn't done well with anyone other than staal. he's done abysmally, actually.

I think going from being on the right side of a left handed center to the right side of a right handed center really lessened his production.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,566
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:21 pm

shmenguin wrote:the problem is that he hasn't done well with anyone other than staal. he's done abysmally, actually.


I read that as "abylsmally."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,408
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: TK to San Jose for 2nd round pick (50th overall)

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 pm

columbia wrote:
shmenguin wrote:the problem is that he hasn't done well with anyone other than staal. he's done abysmally, actually.


I read that as "abylsmally."


that might be even more accurate...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... p?pid=6406
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,840
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RisslingsMissingTeeth and 4 guests


e-mail