Lecavalier?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 pm

sil wrote:I still don't understand how some players want to sign with them after some of the crap they pull.

because Philly isn't afraid to overpay and they are sensible enough to know its a business
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,004
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:50 pm

VL4 also realizes they won't have an opportunity to use a compliance buyout on him.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,590
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:04 pm

canaan wrote:
sil wrote:I still don't understand how some players want to sign with them after some of the crap they pull.

because Philly isn't afraid to overpay and they are sensible enough to know its a business


It is a business, but rushing to use amnesty buyouts, as well as consistently attempting to sign other team's RFA's, is legal, but...well, I can't think of better term than 'slimy.' But hey, everybody does some slimy things, so....
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,279
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby slappybrown on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:06 pm

sil wrote:
canaan wrote:
sil wrote:I still don't understand how some players want to sign with them after some of the crap they pull.

because Philly isn't afraid to overpay and they are sensible enough to know its a business


It is a business, but rushing to use amnesty buyouts, as well as consistently attempting to sign other team's RFA's, is legal, but...well, I can't think of better term than 'slimy.' But hey, everybody does some slimy things, so....

This isn't really directed at you sil, but more the general attitude the NHL, GMs, and fans have towards offer sheets: I think complaining about offer sheets or calling it "dirty" or whatever is **** outrageously dumb. It's part of the rules! I will never understand it.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,774
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:07 pm

Its not slimy. The phantom "gm respect" is so asinine. If they all agreed it was slimy, they would get rid of it. If gms are going to be loose with their player assets, other gms would be stupid not to take (or try) advantage of it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,004
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby slappybrown on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:07 pm

canaan wrote:Its not slimy. The phantom "gm respect" is so asinine. If they all agreed it was slimy, they would get rid of it. If gms are going to be loose with their player assets, other gms would be stupid not to take (or try) advantage of it.

SYNCHRONICITY
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,774
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby canaan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:08 pm

I love the police
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,004
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:13 pm

You guys don't have any respect for the game.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,521
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby taz71 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:18 pm

I love this contract for the PENS
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:36 am

canaan wrote:Its not slimy. The phantom "gm respect" is so asinine. If they all agreed it was slimy, they would get rid of it. If gms are going to be loose with their player assets, other gms would be stupid not to take (or try) advantage of it.


I used slimy to try and display it as something you can do...but not something most would prefer to do...which is kind of how I feel about it. I just plain don't like it...and would feel the same if Shero were the one doing it.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,279
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:41 am

slappybrown wrote:
sil wrote:
canaan wrote:
sil wrote:I still don't understand how some players want to sign with them after some of the crap they pull.

because Philly isn't afraid to overpay and they are sensible enough to know its a business


It is a business, but rushing to use amnesty buyouts, as well as consistently attempting to sign other team's RFA's, is legal, but...well, I can't think of better term than 'slimy.' But hey, everybody does some slimy things, so....

This isn't really directed at you sil, but more the general attitude the NHL, GMs, and fans have towards offer sheets: I think complaining about offer sheets or calling it "dirty" or whatever is **** outrageously dumb. It's part of the rules! I will never understand it.


Understood about where it's directed.

To your point though, what Holmgren did with the offer to Weber last year was 100% a dirtball move, and one he didn't even care to deny. It was a deal that was orchistrated as best as possible to prevent Nashville from matching because of the capital they'd have to put up in one season being a small market team. Nashville could've very well foundered had they lost Weber to Philly for 4 mid-late first round picks. And the GM's did get together and change things in the new CBA to prevent this from happening again.

EDIT: I guess it was canaan's point about GM's getting rid of it. Still...I'm not trying to convince anyone to agree with me...just stating where I'm coming from on the matter.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,279
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:47 am

sil wrote:
canaan wrote:
sil wrote:I still don't understand how some players want to sign with them after some of the crap they pull.

because Philly isn't afraid to overpay and they are sensible enough to know its a business


It is a business, but rushing to use amnesty buyouts, as well as consistently attempting to sign other team's RFA's, is legal, but...well, I can't think of better term than 'slimy.' But hey, everybody does some slimy things, so....


Why would a player be afraid to go to a team willing to use buyouts? You realize Lecavalier is still going to get paid $50+ million the rest of his career due to those buyouts?

Players must love a team like the Flyers, they inflate league salaries.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,276
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:01 am

That's a good point about why one would want to.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,279
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:04 am

sil wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
sil wrote:
canaan wrote:
sil wrote:I still don't understand how some players want to sign with them after some of the crap they pull.

because Philly isn't afraid to overpay and they are sensible enough to know its a business


It is a business, but rushing to use amnesty buyouts, as well as consistently attempting to sign other team's RFA's, is legal, but...well, I can't think of better term than 'slimy.' But hey, everybody does some slimy things, so....

This isn't really directed at you sil, but more the general attitude the NHL, GMs, and fans have towards offer sheets: I think complaining about offer sheets or calling it "dirty" or whatever is **** outrageously dumb. It's part of the rules! I will never understand it.


Understood about where it's directed.

To your point though, what Holmgren did with the offer to Weber last year was 100% a dirtball move, and one he didn't even care to deny. It was a deal that was orchistrated as best as possible to prevent Nashville from matching because of the capital they'd have to put up in one season being a small market team. Nashville could've very well foundered had they lost Weber to Philly for 4 mid-late first round picks. And the GM's did get together and change things in the new CBA to prevent this from happening again.

EDIT: I guess it was canaan's point about GM's getting rid of it. Still...I'm not trying to convince anyone to agree with me...just stating where I'm coming from on the matter.

Paul holmgren doesn't owe Nashville anything. Paul holmgren should only be interested in making his team better.

Gross, I just defended Paul Holmgren
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,774
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby johnnews on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:53 am

Anyone else think his numbers the last few years would be even lower had he not had Stamkos hammering 20 PP goals a year?
johnnews
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby pfim on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:01 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
sil wrote:
canaan wrote:
sil wrote:I still don't understand how some players want to sign with them after some of the crap they pull.

because Philly isn't afraid to overpay and they are sensible enough to know its a business


It is a business, but rushing to use amnesty buyouts, as well as consistently attempting to sign other team's RFA's, is legal, but...well, I can't think of better term than 'slimy.' But hey, everybody does some slimy things, so....


Why would a player be afraid to go to a team willing to use buyouts? You realize Lecavalier is still going to get paid $50+ million the rest of his career due to those buyouts?

Players must love a team like the Flyers, they inflate league salaries.


Not with escrow and 50% HRR.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,680
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby taz71 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:10 am

Lecavalier will be Philly's richardson
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:34 am

slappybrown wrote:Paul holmgren doesn't owe Nashville anything. Paul holmgren should only be interested in making his team better.

Gross, I just defended Paul Holmgren


There's a reason you feel gross about it...and it's not because he's the flyers GM.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,279
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:53 am

sil wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Paul holmgren doesn't owe Nashville anything. Paul holmgren should only be interested in making his team better.

Gross, I just defended Paul Holmgren


There's a reason you feel gross about it...and it's not because he's the flyers GM.

If Shero did the same, I wouldn't care. If I thought the move made sense for our team, I'd be happy he used every tool he's authorized to use by the CBA.

While Nashville's ability to match shouldn't matter to Holmgren or anyone else (beyond making a determination if an offer sheet is worth it in the first place, since why do it if you know they will match), I do note that despite it being front-loaded, they still matched.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,774
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:57 am

Just because something is legal or within the rules doesn't make it right, but that is also for each individual to view and decide on.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,279
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:58 am

taz71 wrote:Lecavalier will be Philly's richardson


or Palfy? :slug:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,279
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:39 pm

sil wrote:Just because something is legal or within the rules doesn't make it right, but that is also for each individual to view and decide on.

I don't understand, this isn't like abortion or the death penalty. Two parties got together -- the league and the union -- and negotiated the terms of how they will handle their private contracts. But fair enough, I know many people have the same view you do, so you're certainly not alone.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,774
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Tampa now has a gaping hole at the 2nd line center position. Do you see anything you like on that team we could get from them in exchange for Jokinen? JJ Looked good for us in the top 6 when Sid went down. It's not a bad audition.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: Z's Old House

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Tampa has a ton of young forwards. Not high pedigree guys necessarily but all very productive this year in the AHL and in their NHL stints.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,298
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby pcm on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:39 pm

I expect they'll aim higher than Jokinen. Though would love to get Richard Panik...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,725
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: darkstar57, iWonTheCup87, JeanPronovost, jeffshly, NashvilleCat, rgj and 63 guests

e-mail