Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Will Bylsma still be the Pens coach after today?

Postby Pitts on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I will want to see a fresh approach on the ice starting early in the season.

Hopefully they will be getting to their game at that time.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:58 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Desiato wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Desiato wrote:If the Pens keep DB, it is wise to sign him to an extension to better avoid a lame-duck situation. Just because they like him does not mean players will not take advantage.

Why? What is wrong with making him coach for his job? Giving an extension tells him (and us) that things are just fine as they are now and have been the last four years.

I already said why: to avoid a lame duck situation. A lame-duck coach is one who does not have a vote of confidence from upper management--such as a contract that extends past the end of the season--and therefore loses authority.

On another note: I am so uncomfortable about the love the Pens locker room apparently expresses towards DB. That ain't right. Respect yes, love no. To me it suggests he's not feeding them enough of what they don't like, but is good for them.

Are coaches so girly and emotional they need to be held in the GM's arms and assured everything's OK? What happened to doing your job, finishing your contract, and getting a new one. I don't get that kind of thinking. I hope he's on a short leash anyway, but does it really matter. We'll have a good reg. season again, and possibly get disappointed in the playoffs. Expectations for me are so-so.

It's not that the coaches that need to be reassured. It's everyone else. In addition to sending a message to the team, the contract extension also reduces distracting chatter. The outside speculation itself can be derailing.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:58 pm

My expectations for next year are pretty much dead. :thumbdown:

Talented team, so much potential only to fail, my god, this feels like the Seattle sports the Pens often gave me a joyful break from.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:59 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:My expectations for next year are pretty much dead. :thumbdown:

Talented team, so much potential only to fail, my god, this feels like the Seattle sports the Pens often gave me a joyful break from.

Omg you're a terrible fan, hey everyone look a terrible fan. Oh wait, I feel the same way.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Desiato on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:02 pm

My expectations will be the same next season as they were this season. I lost faith in DB during the Flyers series. I think the Pens can win the cup if they face the right teams in the playoffs; despite having a roster than should be able to beat anyone.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Desiato wrote:My expectations will be the same next season as they were this season. I lost faith in DB during the Flyers series. I think the Pens can win the cup if they face the right teams in the playoffs; despite having a roster than should be able to beat anyone.

unfortunately, with the divisional playoff format of next season the chances of even getting out of the first round have gone down dramatically. The other teams in our division even if we beat them in the regular season all play a style of hockey that will be very troublesome for the penguins in the playoffs for the most part. perhaps not so much carolina or the islanders (who are only going to get much better) but its going to be extremely tough. this year was a cakewalk to the ecf and may not happen for years to come. Playing divisional opponents right from the start that likely know how to get under the penguins skin and add adversity has proven not to be a good thing.

i think it will be a hard year next year. the team will be much different and the division will be likely the hardest in the NHL.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:20 pm

I was really hoping to see Bylsma begging for money for gas when I stopped for a tank on the way home today.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins