Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Letang Extended? 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 te

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:41 pm

Gaucho wrote:Where's this perception coming from that the Pens are so old? They're not.

LOLOL.

Well they certainly will get younger by not resigning Morrow and Iginla.

The next year or two is gonna be pretty grim to fill out a full roster but the cap is gonna go back up and in the medium to long term the Pens should be fine IMO. Paul Martins 5 mil comes off the books, Orpik resigns for a lower hit to finish his career a Penguin, Despres, Bennet, and one or two of the prospects provide cheap labor while improving each game.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:44 pm

And everyones a year older. Avg age of the current roster is 29.8. Do we really want to fill out the roster with Adams/Cooke/old guy/old guy? We'll be soaring into our 30s.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Who are these young, dynamic players that are dying to sign with the Pens for peanuts?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:46 pm

This team does need an influx of younger talent at both ends.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joker10277 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:46 pm

pcm wrote:And everyones a year older. Avg age of the current roster is 29.8. Do we really want to fill out the roster with Adams/Cooke/old guy/old guy? We'll be soaring into our 30s.

No but RS and DB do want to........bring everyone back............don't forget about eaton.......

When you ignore the draft except for dmen, you have to sign old guys for the 3rd and 4th lines. They don't even have enough prospects to stock wilkes barre, that's why they have to sign a couple career ahl guys every year.
Last edited by joker10277 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Where's this perception coming from that the Pens are so old? They're not.

LOLOL.

Well they certainly will get younger by not resigning Morrow and Iginla.

The next year or two is gonna be pretty grim to fill out a full roster but the cap is gonna go back up and in the medium to long term the Pens should be fine IMO. Paul Martins 5 mil comes off the books, Orpik resigns for a lower hit to finish his career a Penguin, Despres, Bennet, and one or two of the prospects provide cheap labor while improving each game.

HAHAHA SO FUNNY!

I guess I was misled by most of the "core" players being relatively young. Shero brought in young guys like Neal and Sutter, then there's Bennett and Despres and a bucketful of young defensemen... I'm not worried.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 pm

columbia wrote:Who are these young, dynamic players that are dying to sign with the Pens for peanuts?

I'm not worried about D, though I'm not sure when they'll be ready. It's the forwards that have me scratching my head.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
columbia wrote:Who are these young, dynamic players that are dying to sign with the Pens for peanuts?

I'm not worried about D, though I'm not sure when they'll be ready. It's the forwards that have me scratching my head.

That's who I'm talking about.

They already traded Kennedy (reasonably cheap) and I've seen proposals for ditching JJ and Glass.
No world beaters in the group, but I don't see it as being easy to just break even with replacing them on the FA market.

And JJ is their only option right now for the 6th top six slot.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:51 pm

i think jokinen's become an asset over the last couple weeks. we need 1 year guys to fill out the bottom of the lineup, and jokinen is a good plug. it's certainly better to see him in that spot over jeffrey.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:52 pm

columbia wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

They already traded Kennedy (reasonably cheap) and I've seen proposals for ditching JJ and Glass.
No world beaters in the group, but I don't see it as being easy to just break even with replacing them on the FA market.

erm...wow. i totally forgot about dupuis' eminent departure when i just slotted JJ in the bottom 6.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:52 pm

columbia wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

I also don't want to alarm anyone, but I'm wondering how long Kunitz will hold up. And if we do lose Dupuis, then who the HELL is Sid going to play with!?!?!?!?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:55 pm

I think we are exaggerating the age of the team. The only truly older players on our team are Adams (36) and Vokoun (37). Dupuis is 34 and will probably be gone. Kunitz is 33, Orpik and Martin are 32, and Jokinen is 30. The core of our team are all under 28 years old. Plus Bennett, Despres, and possibly Dumuolin or Harrington could play a significant role.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:56 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I also don't want to alarm anyone, but I'm wondering how long Kunitz will hold up. And if we do lose Dupuis, then who the HELL is Sid going to play with!?!?!?!?

Whoa whoa whoa, don't question Kunitz's durability on here. He's done nothing but get better and despite his advanced age (relatively speaking) he has no chance of breaking down.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:56 pm

I'd trade Niskanen for a younger (<26) 3rd liner. Play Dumoulin and Bortuzzo. Trade one of Maata or Poliout for a forward prospect ready to break in (Quinton Howden for example). Give a guy like Uher a shot to win a spot (ie. don't sign Adams). Give Jeffrey a chance to actually have a role on the team. It's not that hard, but when Shero backfills the roster with old vets, it eliminates the development opportunities for our forwrad pipeline.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Sid is going to play with Bennett. He's a RW, though not like that matters to Blsyma.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I also don't want to alarm anyone, but I'm wondering how long Kunitz will hold up. And if we do lose Dupuis, then who the HELL is Sid going to play with!?!?!?!?

Whoa whoa whoa, don't question Kunitz's durability on here. He's done nothing but get better and despite his advanced age (relatively speaking) he has no chance of breaking down.

Je suis désolé!!!!!
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:06 pm

pcm wrote:Sid is going to play with Bennett. He's a RW, though not like that matters to Blsyma.

So who's going to play LEFT with Malkin. OMG. Now it's all out of whack!
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Boogeyman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:08 pm

Well, our "core" is officially all on vet deals. 3/4 are twinks though, they should be on twink deals.
Last edited by Boogeyman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby iceolater on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Sid, Geno, Letang...so who next? I am all for the future but if you can't win in the present, why sign what isn't working? Sid and Geno I agree with but Letang..we could have got 2 solid players for that much cabbage. It's time we bring up our youth and get them going. If Blysma doesn't change his style of coaching which I highly doubt he will, we are in for another frustrating season. Defense and Speed Shero has not addressed. Let's hope he does come July 5th but with limited funds, I look for the Pens to go nowhere. BTW.."Didn't Season Tickets go up in pricing? For what reason?
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby iceolater on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Sid, Geno, Letang...so who next? I am all for the future but if you can't win in the present, why sign what isn't working? Sid and Geno I agree with but Letang..we could have got 2 solid players for that much cabbage. It's time we bring up our youth and get them going. If Blysma doesn't change his style of coaching which I highly doubt he will, we are in for another frustrating season. Defense and Speed Shero has not addressed. Let's hope he does come July 5th but with limited funds, I look for the Pens to go nowhere. BTW.."Didn't Season Tickets go up in pricing? For what reason?
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 pm

We'll see what lunacy occurs on Friday. I think Super Duper will hit the lottery.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Problem that I keep coming up with is Shero's failure to draft and develop young forwards.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:I think we are exaggerating the age of the team. The only truly older players on our team are Adams (36) and Vokoun (37). Dupuis is 34 and will probably be gone. Kunitz is 33, Orpik and Martin are 32, and Jokinen is 30. The core of our team are all under 28 years old. Plus Bennett, Despres, and possibly Dumuolin or Harrington could play a significant role.

Who do you think populates the league, a bunch of Chelios clones? 36 is damn near ancient for a productive hockey player and most 34 year olds are in the twilight of their career (see: Brendan Morrow), Dupuis has been an exception to the rule. We need young blood, and badly.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Wjsan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Chelios is available if we need him, LOL
Wjsan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Boogeyman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:23 pm

iceolater wrote:Sid, Geno, Letang...so who next? I am all for the future but if you can't win in the present, why sign what isn't working? Sid and Geno I agree with but Letang..we could have got 2 solid players for that much cabbage. It's time we bring up our youth and get them going. If Blysma doesn't change his style of coaching which I highly doubt he will, we are in for another frustrating season. Defense and Speed Shero has not addressed. Let's hope he does come July 5th but with limited funds, I look for the Pens to go nowhere. BTW.."Didn't Season Tickets go up in pricing? For what reason?

During the Bylsma extension press conference Shero basically all but said that they are content with a successful regular season team, who will obviously gain a playoff birth. I'm not sure if he meant to give that notion or not. It did however come off as a consultation in brand marketing and profitability.

In other words, Dan Bylsma and Marc Andre Fleury are regular season juggernauts. Crosby and Malkin will fill the arena. People will still buy into it regardless if we have astronomical failures in the playoffs. Money will be made. All is well. If we win a cup in the process, cool.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins