Letang Extended; 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 teams)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If true:

Let him walk after next season and take a final run with him as #1 Dman
5%
Sign him and Malkin, rest of the roster be damned
5%
Sign him and trade Malkin/let Malkin walk
No votes
Trade Letang at draft/before season starts
83%
Shut up NAN
7%

Total votes : 243

Re: Letang Extended? 8 years 7.25mm, Limited no trade (15 te

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:00 pm

Great58 wrote:My Letang jersey is very happy.

Don't get too comfy.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby guiner on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:02 pm

thepittman wrote:Awesome news. Tangers best years are ahead of him and he will mature into a true elite of the league.

Yeah, I also think he is a great player and will get even better. I just don't know how this team is going to have a complete competitive roster with so much money tied to so few players.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Good for Kris. But I think this is a huge mistake by management. This, along with bringing back the entire coaching staff, has made me start to sour a bit on Shero.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 pm

Welcome to the core!
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby smoothmoneyb on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:13 pm

no name wrote:
meow wrote:
taz71 wrote:Martin is a vetaren 1st D pairing but i don't feel he is elite.

Pretty sure no one is saying Martin is elite. Pretty sure

Elite or not if you trade Letang you get a no.1 d man in return. So the defensive corps as a whole won't take a huge hit.

Like i have said i would take another Martin in a trade for Letang. You might not get the flashy offensive skill you get with Letang but you get a guy with a complete overall game at both ends of the ice.

Agree with this 100%. Couldn't have said it better..
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Letang should have a shock collar that goes off if he plays too aggressively.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:17 pm

I hope I'm wrong... Officially the worst I've ever felt about a Shero transaction though
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:19 pm

farnham16 wrote:Good for Kris. But I think this is a huge mistake by management. This, along with bringing back the entire coaching staff, has made me start to sour a bit on Shero.

Look, they've determined that Tyler Kennedy and Gilles Meloche were the problems and removed them. Everything else is fine.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:21 pm

I lost track. With Letang now on board how much $ is left of the 64.3 for '13-'14?

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:23 pm

Can only hope the cap goes up tremendously after next year.

What's the word on the NTC?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:24 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Letang should have a shock collar that goes off if he plays too aggressively.

Isn't this why they employ a coaching staff? Right, GM Ray Shero.
Up until the conference finals letang was in the running for mvp of the play-offs. The penguins are a better team with him, than without.
Letang needs to watch a video session every night of shots from the point. A Young defensemen who will only get better. My opinion.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:27 pm

farnham16 wrote:Good for Kris. But I think this is a huge mistake by management. This, along with bringing back the entire coaching staff, has made me start to sour a bit on Shero.

Isn't it the worst when you sign a top pairing d man for 8 years through his prime?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:35 pm

We are fine for the coming season: Letang and Malkin deals don't kick in until 2014. Moves will have to be made then. Expect a youth movement on D and in general. Also, this season is Fleury's make or break, finally. He will be cut loose to save cap unless he proves he is worth it.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:45 pm

I don't think Letang's contract necessarily puts them in the impossible situation that people think they're going to be in as far as filling out the roster goes. From what I gather, the cap is expected to go back up next year. They have a pipe line of really talented young D. They'll have to take advantage of entry level deals and maybe be a little more aggressive in pushing guys like Maata and Puliot into the lineup than they have been with Despres but they will manage.

I never got the thinking that if you have a bunch of money tied up into a few guys you can't possibly put together a complete team. In the long run, Crosby's cap hit is the same, Malkin's is $800,000 higher, and Letang is $2.25 million higher than their current highest paid D (Martin). That's about $3 million more invested into their top two forwards and top D compared to where they've been at. The last two years, they've gone into the playoffs with rosters that we all seemed to think were the best of anybody. If it hasn't been hindering them as it is, I doubt it will be that damaging as we move forward.

Shero is good at constructing a roster and he's crafted an organization that players want to play for.

Letang has his flaws but he's a special talent. I wouldn't have been upset if he was traded for a huge return but I also can't get upset over them keeping him. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think I saw a stat at some point this season showing that their winning percentage suffered far more with Letang out of the lineup compared to Crosby/Malkin being out. He's important to this team, especially with the way they want to play the game.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Also, by not trading him, we get an elite #1 PMD for 1 year at $3.5m, a year when the cap will be at its lowest.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Firebird on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:I lost track. With Letang now on board how much $ is left of the 64.3 for '13-'14?

BEPF

This doesn't change anything for 13-14
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:

Isn't it the worst when you sign a top pairing d man for 8 years through his prime?

Ha there's a lot more too it than that. IMO, heading into this offseason, the Pens had to make a big change somewhere. My preference was the coaching staff. That didn't happen. Now with MAF seemingly staying as the starter and Letang being signed for a long time, Shero doesn't think anything is wrong. And that is a big problem for me.

All they have said that is going to change moving forward is that Bennett is top 6 and Despres is top 4 next year. But until we don't see Engelland starting over the handful of promising young guys we have than color me skeptical.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Some of you may just be happy yet in a few years when the cap goes up?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:58 pm

farnham16 wrote:

Ha there's a lot more too it than that. IMO, heading into this offseason, the Pens had to make a big change somewhere. My preference was the coaching staff. That didn't happen. Now with MAF seemingly staying as the starter and Letang being signed for a long time, Shero doesn't think anything is wrong. And that is a big problem for me.

All they have said that is going to change moving forward is that Bennett is top 6 and Despres is top 4 next year. But until we don't see Engelland starting over the handful of promising young guys we have than color me skeptical.

I think this is the biggest issue I have too. By signing these large contracts with the current roster and keeping the entire coaching staff (sans Meloche), this is a message from Shero that nothing is wrong, and we were merely a victim of circumstance against Boston.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:02 pm

farnham16 wrote:

I agree with you, Shero did miss an opportunity to re-shape the direction of this team by not firing HCDB. Letang would probably be a better 2 way defensemen if he had a coach who valued 2 way play and held accountable those who refuse to play defense. IF they fail again in the playoffs I wonder what this excuse will be this time?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 pm

As I said at the beginning of the season last year, the change that's coming is the transition of the supporting cast. We will by necessity, have to get younger and cheaper. The pens went ALL IN on old, established players and it didn't get them what they wanted. Now, with the cap falling, we're going to have to see fresh legs come in in place of the older supporting cast. Bennett and Despres are just the beginning. Blysma saying they are top 6 / top 4 material is as close to him admitting a mistake as it gets. Dumoulin, Harrington, Bortuzzo are going to have to play important minutes in the next 2 years. Probably Shero will have to trade for another young forward or 2 as well.

I hope we don't re-sign Cooke, Dupuis, Adams, mainly because I think this team has been too old the past few years. Shero's moves this offseason can't be just about this year anymore. He has to look forward to 2014. Getting some cheap unproven guys in there will be imperative to making it all work. Nothing against Dupuis or Cooke or Adams, but to me, this is the change the Pens have needed.
Last edited by pcm on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joker10277 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 pm

pens_CT wrote:
farnham16 wrote:

I agree with you, Shero did miss an opportunity to re-shape the direction of this team by not firing HCDB. Letang would probably be a better 2 way defensemen if he had a coach who valued 2 way play and held accountable those who refuse to play defense. IF they fail again in the playoffs I wonder what this excuse will be this time?

Disco already has a built in excuse.................the olympics, he's safe for atleast two more years................yay...........
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:06 pm

this is a message from Shero that nothing is wrong, and we were merely a victim of circumstance against Boston.

Maybe he's right?

I wanted big changes last year and didn't get them, yet they improved on some things this season and set themselves up for a good run at the Cup, and disappointing finish aside they made it farther than they have in four years. Shero can't be emotional about this stuff. I'm not going to get into a debate about the way the season ended but change for the sake of change isn't necessarily a good plan. Most people would have been happy to just discard Martin for nothing a year ago but then he turned in an excellent season. I was a proponent of buying out Fleury but would it surprise anyone if the notion of giving up on him looks foolish six months from now? Grass isn't always greener, etc etc.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't think Letang's contract necessarily puts them in the impossible situation that people think they're going to be in as far as filling out the roster goes. From what I gather, the cap is expected to go back up next year. They have a pipe line of really talented young D. They'll have to take advantage of entry level deals and maybe be a little more aggressive in pushing guys like Maata and Puliot into the lineup than they have been with Despres but they will manage.

I never got the thinking that if you have a bunch of money tied up into a few guys you can't possibly put together a complete team. In the long run, Crosby's cap hit is the same, Malkin's is $800,000 higher, and Letang is $2.25 million higher than their current highest paid D (Martin). That's about $3 million more invested into their top two forwards and top D compared to where they've been at. The last two years, they've gone into the playoffs with rosters that we all seemed to think were the best of anybody. If it hasn't been hindering them as it is, I doubt it will be that damaging as we move forward.

Shero is good at constructing a roster and he's crafted an organization that players want to play for.

Letang has his flaws but he's a special talent. I wouldn't have been upset if he was traded for a huge return but I also can't get upset over them keeping him. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think I saw a stat at some point this season showing that their winning percentage suffered far more with Letang out of the lineup compared to Crosby/Malkin being out. He's important to this team, especially with the way they want to play the game.

I don't disagree with most similar points.

Here is my only issue: this pipeline of defensive prospects is still years away from being 25 minute players. Letangs first full year was 07-08 I think and for 2 years he played "protected" minutes with 10 year veteran defensively sound players.

We can't just call up 4 of them and have them play and in 16-17 count on them. It's going to be a long process. And in the meantime we are fielding a similar if not worse/older roster than the one that just got swept by the Bruns. And that is assuming Despres and Bennett fill huge voids to ease the pain.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:10 pm

Very happy with the signing.

There is our franchise defenseman! He will only get better too.

Spoiler:
No more checking refs, lol
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins