Was this the current generation of pens fans version of 1993

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Was this the current generation of pens fans version of

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:58 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Nope, the Montreal series was much worse.

why? because they were worse than boston? we had 10 points on boston in a 48 game season. we had 13 points on montreal in an 82 game season. montreal was off the heels of dispatching the runaway winner of the president's trophy. they focused on defense, collapsed around their goal, made painstaking efforts to neutralize sid, got great goaltending. they whooped on us tactically, and took advantage of our gaffes at a high rate. sounds familiar.

the montreal series was worse in the sense that it crushed our ideals, but is it a bigger failure? i don't think so.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Durbano wrote:Division realignment and Detroit's move to the East should make for an interesting and more difficult road next year.

The eventual feeling after the 1993 loss was that the Pens would bounce back and re-claim the Cup the following season. They were a popular pick.

I would probably feel that way if this weren't the fourth straight year of disappointment, but 1993 was the first year of failure after two straight years that ended with Cups. Right now I have very little hope of anything in the next couple years, I mean I know there's always a chance but this was "the year" we really should have been able to do it and with the roster and coaching blowup I hope/expect to happen I expect it to take a few years before another serious run is made.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 7m
told City of PGH in state of shock right now; no one talking about Pens; sorta like 1992 when Sid Bream scored for ATL in Game 7

I don't get this feeling from fans, here in Pittsburgh. The shock was game 2. Game 4 was just the end.
The shock was that the penguins never push back against the bruins. Boston never worried.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:44 pm

penny lane wrote:
told City of PGH in state of shock right now; no one talking about Pens; sorta like 1992 when Sid Bream scored for ATL in Game 7

I don't get this feeling from fans, here in Pittsburgh. The shock was game 2. Game 4 was just the end.
The shock was that the penguins never push back against the bruins. Boston never worried.

I've heard similar remarks to yours from other people back home.

This is Tim Pinnachio trying to get back into the good graces with the phans. He's often accused of being a "closeted Pens fan," which includes all of the perceptible derogatory and discriminatory inferences therein.

And leave 1992 Bream/Cabrera the hell out of it, Tim.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Guinness wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:I just hold solace in thinking those Detroit teams from (wow) 95-09, and the Devils who won 3 in 9 years, even they got bounced early several times and had heartbreakers. Obviously things are different, but thats the hope I have that even the best of teams fail miserably for a few years and come back and win time and again.

That's a great call. Especially with regard to DET, I think it's important to recognize and emulate the culture of winning the organIzation breeds... step one, in my opinion, becomes adopting a change in strategy.

Totally agree. I think people myself included are more inclined to wonder about the future because of the way we lost a few series the past 4 years or even how we played in the ones we won.

Now NJ and Detroit lost in first round upsets for sure. But our losses seem not to be comparable.

I know that's probably not a fair statement but I think that's how people feel.

Compard to 93 is hard but remember we lost after losing Bourque to FA, Trottier to retirement, Errey to trade. We had Murphy, Two Samuelsons, Ramsey so we weren't as bad talent wise in our end as some people think but seemed to loose that little bit up front.

We can't win in every year but in 93 we had various issues including Mario's cancer AND back, Stevens out late in game 7, an that "it" factor from our lower lines.

Moving forward Tocchet got hurt and never was the same, Stevens as well to a point. Mullen had another decent year but tailed off IIRC. Throw in the bad trades (player forced or not) and depending on why happens in with GMRS we could see some similarities for sure.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Look, winning the cup requires an incredible amount of luck, regardless of how skilled your team is. Even the best teams in any given year probably have less than a 1 in 4 chance of winning it. Even if you have an 80% chance of winning every series you play, you still lose 60% of the time. That's pretty damn low. You bet on the field.

The fact is, this team didn't just lose--they got embarrassed. They got swept and scored 2 goals in 4.5 (counting OT) games. That's horrid. Abysmal. Getting bounced early is one thing, but they way they got bounced is not a good sign for the future.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:32 pm

penny lane wrote:

That's a horrible analogy. After the Bream game I was absolutely despondent to have them come so close to a WS and have the carpet pulled out. That team did all it could, mostly.

This was a total team and systematic failure leaving me wanting to get out there with my torch and pitchfork. I'm not seeing people being quietly stunned at all.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:37 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Look, winning the cup requires an incredible amount of luck, regardless of how skilled your team is. Even the best teams in any given year probably have less than a 1 in 4 chance of winning it. Even if you have an 80% chance of winning every series you play, you still lose 60% of the time. That's pretty damn low. You bet on the field.

The fact is, this team didn't just lose--they got embarrassed. They got swept and scored 2 goals in 4.5 (counting OT) games. That's horrid. Abysmal. Getting bounced early is one thing, but they way they got bounced is not a good sign for the future.

Yeah. It's not the NBA. You can't just win because you have the best players. Luck is always a component.

But this was a pitiful way to end the season that transcends the concept of "can't win em all".
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:59 pm

the flyers series last year was worse. hell the flyers series in 2000 was worse.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins