So, Sidney Crosby...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: So, Sidney Crosby...

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:41 am

PghSkins wrote:I must have missed all but the scoresheet thingy....

That's OK, the Pens missed all of it AND the "scoresheet thingy" :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Steve on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:10 am

shmenguin wrote:
Steve wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:No, this is not going to be some ridiculous thread.

I disagree.

The stats, yeah they don't lie, he didn't produce offensively. But to call him unfocused, or if you thought he dove and whined his way through this series, or didn't show any effort - well, i'm not sure where that is coming from. This is stuff I hear from Caps fans when things aren't going well with 87.

His effort in games 1-2, and part of 3 was questionable

Everything can be questioned in a sweep. For 87 - I don't see it as an issue with effort, but with execution. The Bruins were just better in this one.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:15 am

Getting To My Game wrote:
neophool wrote:Crosby's style is the type of style you plan to shut down in the playoffs. Malkin's style is the type of game you HOPE doesn't kill you. Hence Malkin's billion good chances and Sid getting donkey bonked every inch of the ice.

Did you watch hockey in the 90s? Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman, etc. were practically gangtackled in the neutral zone and still found a way to fight through it and get their points.

Mario only won 2 Cups. Sid has 1 so far. Just saying.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:42 am

The original post is making the rounds on Twitter.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:The original post is making the rounds on Twitter.

I read your post via Jesse's twitter feed, myself.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Juice on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:46 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:shut up

perfect
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Best player on the ice in games 1, 3 and 4. He needed shooters in a shooting position and never had it.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Guinness wrote:

Hey, Guinness. How are you hanging in?

I'm not on Twitter, but, yeah, I saw it on Jesse's feed; it had come to his attention from somewhere else.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Pitt87 wrote:Best player on the ice in games 1, 3 and 4. He needed shooters in a shooting position and never had it.

We're talking about Crosby, not Lebron.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Guinness wrote:

I'm not on Twitter, but, yeah, I saw it on Jesse's feed; it had come to his attention from somewhere else.

Hey, it's all good Dish. You know what? I got to watch some amazing hockey this year. I've seen my favorite team win 3 Cups.

We look forward to next year. And hopefully we'll have even more to enjoy! :)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby firepower on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:43 pm

They were playing good hockey against the Sens, Then during the 7 day break they forgot how to play hockey. Amazing what happens to a brain in 7 days.
firepower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Scott on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Jesse wrote:Can anyone give even an iota of credit to the Bruins? Crosby had what, 5 scoring chances last night? He did everything he could to beat some amazing one on one coverage from Bergeron, he threw everything he had at Rask, and Rask played the series of his life.

Nobody is discounting what the Bruins did. The attention is flocking to how lopsided these contests were and the Pens doing the same exact failing thing every single shift. Nothing different whatsoever every shift with the exception of Bylsma's "big adjustment"...a scratch or two. They were far more lopsided than any of the scores would indicate. (Minus game 2)
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Those games actually were close, aside from game 2. I'm just not getting where people think these were blowouts.

You must not have watched the games.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:04 pm

Sid even during the cup run was largely shutdown against Detroit and was overshadowed by Malkin in the Carolina series before that. When a team game plans to specifically take Sid out of games they don't seem to have a problem doing it, at least in the playoffs.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:06 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Sid even during the cup run was largely shutdown against Detroit and was overshadowed by Malkin in the Carolina series before that. When a team game plans to specifically take Sid out of games they don't seem to have a problem doing it, at least in the playoffs.

You can craft a strategy to shutdown another teams superstar. It's done all of the time. But that's when coaching comes in. You're going to devote all that energy to one man, then we'll adjust our system to get production from others. That didn't happen. And it's not like we didn't have other horses to go to.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Scott on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Guinness wrote:Those games actually were close, aside from game 2. I'm just not getting where people think these were blowouts.

You have tunnel vision looking at the score board and only the score.

Notice how I said the games were no where near as close as the scores indicated. The Pens chances in this series minus a select few were not good chances whatsoever. Dont get me wrong someone still had to pitch those shut outs against us but it certainly helps when 90 percent of the shots you are facing are clean or weak attempts from 8 miles away. I'm sorry but this series was not close after the ten minute mark of the second period in game 1

say what you want about Bylsma, players, give the Bruins credit...etc etc...but regardless who is going to get the blame this series was a lot of things but close is not one of them.

We watched the same game I can assure you...but you aren't looking beyond the score board.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mariojr on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:The whining to the media, embellishing falls to try to draw penalties, the constant look of frustration and that "Mommy won't let my pudding because I don't eat my meat" look on his face, were all present and account from.

HEEEEEEOOOOOWW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR MEAT!!
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Let's put things in perspective.

- He is a human being.
- He has a "mental game" like every other player in the league.
- Hockey is a team game.
- Hockey involves opponents.
- Crosby, while healthy, has fewer teeth, titanium plates in jaw, never had a player stand up for him (other than Iggy one time) the whole playoffs

I believe that when he took off the visor, it affected his mental game.
His linemates (and every other line) did not support each other (stay closer together) so when he did get the puck, he had too much coverage to fight though
Starting a key game 2, he makes a mistake (remember, he's human) & puts his team down early. That would mess up ANYONE, let alone a 25 yr old carrying the team on his back
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Scott wrote:
Guinness wrote:Those games actually were close, aside from game 2. I'm just not getting where people think these were blowouts.

You have tunnel vision looking at the score board and only the score.

Notice how I said the games were no where near as close as the scores indicated. The Pens chances in this series minus a select few were not good chances whatsoever. Dont get me wrong someone still had to pitch those shut outs against us but it certainly helps when 90 percent of the shots you are facing are clean or weak attempts from 8 miles away. I'm sorry but this series was not close after the ten minute mark of the second period in game 1

say what you want about Bylsma, players, give the Bruins credit...etc etc...but regardless who is going to get the blame this series was a lot of things but close is not one of them.

We watched the same game I can assure you...but you aren't looking beyond the score board.

Whatever. PGH were not blown out of any game other than game two, and could have just as easily won any one of them except for game two.

I don't know if you're trying to be the ultimate impartial fan or what, but if you think games 1, 3 or 4 weren't close, well... I don't know what to tell you. Games 3 and 4 came down to the last second - especially game 3, obviously. PGH carried the play in their fair share of those games.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Boston wasn't aiming for lopsided scores. They knew they had to win low scoring games to have a chance in this series. It's not much of a moral victory to allow the other team to dictate how the series would play out. I mean...was half their team even trying to score?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:04 pm

shmenguin wrote:Boston wasn't aiming for lopsided scores. They knew they had to win low scoring games to have a chance in this series. It's not much of a moral victory to allow the other team to dictate how the series would play out. I mean...was half their team even trying to score?

Again, it's not a function of the scoreboard. PGH were in this series MORE than they were in the NYI series, which they were fortunate to win. They "deserve" to be 2-2 in the ECF. But, as Will Munny well commented, deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:47 pm

Guinness wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Guinness wrote:

Hey, it's all good Dish. You know what? I got to watch some amazing hockey this year. I've seen my favorite team win 3 Cups.

Guinness, you're right. We've seen worse, and man, have we seen great.

I made myself feel much better today perusing the March 13, 2007 GDT with the Sabres. That was the day Mario announced that the team was staying in Pgh. I did that last year after the Philly debacle, too. Works for me.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Guinness wrote:

I made myself feel much better today perusing the March 13, 2007 GDT with the Sabres. That was the day Mario announced that the team was staying in Pgh. I did that last year after the Philly debacle, too. Works for me.

Pittsburgh 1 Quebec City 0
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:31 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Guinness wrote:Hey, it's all good Dish. You know what? I got to watch some amazing hockey this year. I've seen my favorite team win 3 Cups.

Pittsburgh 1 Quebec City 0

:fist:

I still we weren't humiliated, though...
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Scott on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Guinness wrote:Whatever. PGH were not blown out of any game other than game two, and could have just as easily won any one of them except for game two.

I don't know if you're trying to be the ultimate impartial fan or what, but if you think games 1, 3 or 4 weren't close, well... I don't know what to tell you. Games 3 and 4 came down to the last second - especially game 3, obviously. PGH carried the play in their fair share of those games.

Game 1 was close until the middle of period 2. Then the moment came when the Pens decided to shove the Bruins around and act like little school children. That was the last time this series was competitve.
If you watched as you claim you did then a blind person could see who had the majority of the quality chances. Matter of fact the Bruins had ALL of the GOOD chances. Notice the embossed words.....The Bruins had 99.9 percent of all the GOOD chances. That doesnt mean the Pens didn't have a single shot, but the ice in this series was so lopsided it is not even funny...but rather alarming that the coaching staff did NOTHING to counter what the Bruins were doing. NOTHINIG. Oh sorry...we did...we scratched Kennedy here and there and dressed Bennett here and there. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins