Most embarrassing loss in the....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:21 am

Welp, I guess if our stars weren't hungry enough to win before...next year ought to be something. Heh.

I wonder who in that devastated locker room wants to take a potential pay cut, stick around, and avenge this year?

MRandall's post about the Lemieux-Jagr-Francis-et al era is on point, imo.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,475
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: Following Geno on Instagram

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:40 am

All the goaltending and defense questions surrounding this team, and it's lack of offense that does us in this year. :?
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,631
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:39 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:51 am

FallenHero96 wrote:All the goaltending and defense questions surrounding this team, and it's lack of offense that does us in this year. :?


I know, right? I mentioned that in the GDT. :?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,475
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: Following Geno on Instagram

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:55 am

This was a disaster of epic proportions
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,046
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Why Not Us on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:06 am

From the depths of excuse finding, I present you this one:

The Hockey Gods owed the Bruins. In 1999, they traded one of their all-time greats and captain in Ray Bourque to Colorado so he could better pursue the goal of getting his name on the Cup. And we all know what happened, eventually he triumphed and returned to Beantown to celebrate.

Perhaps that is why Bruins fans were so invested in the acquisition of Jarome Iginla. Not because of the numbers, ability, or x's and o's, but because now the shoe was on the other foot. An all time great captain from the West was coming to Boston to pursue his dream of glory.

But not so fast, Mr. Iginla ultimately decided his best shot at the Cup wasn't in Boston. He went with the sexy choice, the team with the guy whom he won Gold with- Crosby. So despite Boston thinking he was theirs, at the last minute he chooses Pittsburgh.

And as many jumped for the joy at the notion that Pittsburgh was getting their version of Bourque- those same hockey gods were giving Pittsburgh their Marian Hossa. Much like Boston thought they were Iginla's new home, the Penguins thought they were best equipped to retain Hossa. Alas, it was Detroit that made Marian feel they gave him the best shot at Stanley.

Just as most felt Hossa was a better fit playing on Crosby's wing than on the Red Machine in Detroit, Iggy likely would have fit in better with Boston. Especially with Dan Bylsma's mis-use of #12 such a prevalent point of discussion on this series. The irony of course being Iginla never truly got the chance to do what he turned down the trade with Boston for- to play with Sid.

Now, the hockey gods laugh in the face of the Pens faithful who took pleasure in seeing Hossa fall to the team he spurned. Fitting, not only did Iginla inevitably also fall to the team he shafted; he had the last shot on net to end the series.




Of course, take none of that seriously. Just something crossing my mind this week, thought I'd post it for the :scared:
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,955
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: In a crooked little town

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby ivand87 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:18 am

TheHammer24 wrote:There are a lot of gross overreactions right now, although I suppose I understand them. In the end, the Pens arguably were the better team in 3/4 of the games. The puck-luck did not go their way. That's why the best team in the NHL doesn't win every year. The Flyers series last year was WAY worse than this one, as was the Ottawa series in 08.


I think you mean by the way we were outplayed? Because the Ottawa series in 2007 (not 2008 since we won in 2008, duhh) was not a series that we were supposed to win. That was only Malkin's 1st year. We were a really young team.

This was the worst series in franchise history without a doubt. Flyers last year is a close 2nd but only because it was the Flyers and also because of how horrendous our defense and goaltending was. At least last year we were able to crawl back and win a couple games and gain back some respectability. We scored 2 goals IN THIS ENTIRE SERIES. Our superstar players, our MVP winners, were shut out completely. No points. We were outscored 12-2 when we had home ice advantage, had won all 3 games against Boston this season and were the clear-cut favorites to win the series. This was a monumental collapse for the ages by the Penguins and nothing in franchise history even comes close.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,152
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 pm

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby bdevido on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:53 am

i couldn't agree more ivan. this was the worst series in penguin playoff history. people want to point out three other teams mainly, 93, 96, and last year's squad. in 93 did anyone really expect us to win 3 cups in a row? yes, that series was tragic but it was nothing like this debacle. as far as philly last year, put in a half competent goalie and the entire outcome might have been different. this year vokoun was more than competent, he was our best player. when there is so much blame to go around, i really think it has to start at the top. bylsma has to go, he had his chances (i'd argue this year's team was one of the most talented ever) but he hasn't gotten it done in the post season.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:33 pm

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:18 am

Difference between the Flyers and Boston series to me was that when we played the Flyers, I felt like we could catch up and find a way to win. There was not a single moment in these entire Boston series where I felt we could do that. It was amazing to watch if you were a Bruins fan. Complete domination from start to finish. They suffocated us. I only hoped we could score one, but even while thinking that, it was in the back of my mind that there is no way we could score a second one. By far the worst this team has ever looked, imo, considering the hype.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:14 am

Bad luck buys you 1 game. Maybe 2. It doesn't buy you 2 goals in 14 periods. And goal posts aren't bad luck. They're errors in execution.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,225
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Mango Salsa on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:24 am

The most ironic part of game 4 is that the game winner came off of Iginlas stick.

Kudos to Boston. They had a great game plan and the players executed it. The Pens had no answer
Last edited by Mango Salsa on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,452
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: Inside a Filet-o-Fish sandwich

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:32 am

RentedMule66 wrote:history of the Penguins.....

No one can argue it....


You weren't around in '75 were you? :face:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:18 am

honestly saying this was a choke job is an understatement.

Just really think about this now. 2 goals and swept. Unbelieveable
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,346
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Inside Crosby's basement dryer

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Penspal on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:27 am

Why Not Us wrote:From the depths of excuse finding, I present you this one:

The Hockey Gods owed the Bruins. In 1999, they traded one of their all-time greats and captain in Ray Bourque to Colorado so he could better pursue the goal of getting his name on the Cup. And we all know what happened, eventually he triumphed and returned to Beantown to celebrate.

Perhaps that is why Bruins fans were so invested in the acquisition of Jarome Iginla. Not because of the numbers, ability, or x's and o's, but because now the shoe was on the other foot. An all time great captain from the West was coming to Boston to pursue his dream of glory.

But not so fast, Mr. Iginla ultimately decided his best shot at the Cup wasn't in Boston. He went with the sexy choice, the team with the guy whom he won Gold with- Crosby. So despite Boston thinking he was theirs, at the last minute he chooses Pittsburgh.

And as many jumped for the joy at the notion that Pittsburgh was getting their version of Bourque- those same hockey gods were giving Pittsburgh their Marian Hossa. Much like Boston thought they were Iginla's new home, the Penguins thought they were best equipped to retain Hossa. Alas, it was Detroit that made Marian feel they gave him the best shot at Stanley.

Just as most felt Hossa was a better fit playing on Crosby's wing than on the Red Machine in Detroit, Iggy likely would have fit in better with Boston. Especially with Dan Bylsma's mis-use of #12 such a prevalent point of discussion on this series. The irony of course being Iginla never truly got the chance to do what he turned down the trade with Boston for- to play with Sid.

Now, the hockey gods laugh in the face of the Pens faithful who took pleasure in seeing Hossa fall to the team he spurned. Fitting, not only did Iginla inevitably also fall to the team he shafted; he had the last shot on net to end the series.




Of course, take none of that seriously. Just something crossing my mind this week, thought I'd post it for the :scared:


I appreciate any and all insight into the hockey gods.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,365
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:56 am

Why Not Us wrote:From the depths of excuse finding, I present you this one:

The Hockey Gods owed the Bruins. In 1999, they traded one of their all-time greats and captain in Ray Bourque to Colorado so he could better pursue the goal of getting his name on the Cup. And we all know what happened, eventually he triumphed and returned to Beantown to celebrate.

Perhaps that is why Bruins fans were so invested in the acquisition of Jarome Iginla. Not because of the numbers, ability, or x's and o's, but because now the shoe was on the other foot. An all time great captain from the West was coming to Boston to pursue his dream of glory.

But not so fast, Mr. Iginla ultimately decided his best shot at the Cup wasn't in Boston. He went with the sexy choice, the team with the guy whom he won Gold with- Crosby. So despite Boston thinking he was theirs, at the last minute he chooses Pittsburgh.

And as many jumped for the joy at the notion that Pittsburgh was getting their version of Bourque- those same hockey gods were giving Pittsburgh their Marian Hossa. Much like Boston thought they were Iginla's new home, the Penguins thought they were best equipped to retain Hossa. Alas, it was Detroit that made Marian feel they gave him the best shot at Stanley.

Just as most felt Hossa was a better fit playing on Crosby's wing than on the Red Machine in Detroit, Iggy likely would have fit in better with Boston. Especially with Dan Bylsma's mis-use of #12 such a prevalent point of discussion on this series. The irony of course being Iginla never truly got the chance to do what he turned down the trade with Boston for- to play with Sid.

Now, the hockey gods laugh in the face of the Pens faithful who took pleasure in seeing Hossa fall to the team he spurned. Fitting, not only did Iginla inevitably also fall to the team he shafted; he had the last shot on net to end the series.




Of course, take none of that seriously. Just something crossing my mind this week, thought I'd post it for the :scared:

This was actually a good read.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,889
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Insert Witty Comment Here

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Tyler Durden on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:09 am

How about giving some credit to Boston? I know, we like to look at things in a vacuum and it's only the Pens out there playing. This doesn't absolve the coaching staff and the players. Hell, you wouldn't be wrong throwing Ray Shero in there as well (although I wouldn't). I'm not embarrassed because I'm a fan, not a player. Frustrated and sad, yes. Embarrassed no.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby IMFC on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:33 am

Refs allow basically all bumping and grabbing and Pacers sweep the Heat and hold Lebron and Wade to single digits. Spolstra has no answer, but keeps games close.

Zero casual fans watch the finals, but all the league cronies are happy because their championship is a 'war of attrition' and neutralizing talent is the goal of officiating.

The nba is irrelevent and is watched on ESPN-8 "The Ocho" and is often pre-empted by guys whipping each other with leather straps and squirrels on skiis.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:35 am

shmenguin wrote:Bad luck buys you 1 game. Maybe 2. It doesn't buy you 2 goals in 14 periods. And goal posts aren't bad luck. They're errors in execution.

QFT
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,046
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Steve on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:35 am

Tyler Durden wrote:How about giving some credit to Boston? I know, we like to look at things in a vacuum and it's only the Pens out there playing. This doesn't absolve the coaching staff and the players. Hell, you wouldn't be wrong throwing Ray Shero in there as well (although I wouldn't). I'm not embarrassed because I'm a fan, not a player. Frustrated and sad, yes. Embarrassed no.


Good post. I'm not embarrassed either, but I am still shocked at what happened, or should I say, didn't happen in this series.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,658
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:37 am

cma3585 wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:There are a lot of gross overreactions right now, although I suppose I understand them. In the end, the Pens arguably were the better team in 3/4 of the games. The puck-luck did not go their way. That's why the best team in the NHL doesn't win every year. The Flyers series last year was WAY worse than this one, as was the Ottawa series in 08.


Agreed, I laid this all out in another thread. In short, literally zero bounces our way, 10 goal posts, and a remarkably hot goaltender. This series could very well be 2-2 right now the way this team played between games 1, 3, and 4.


Bruins hit 7 posts and TV was pretty solid. Bruins were a few posts away from burying us early yesterday.

they also got a few dirty goals and I don't think ever gave us an odd man break. This bud luck thing is bs. We got trampled.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,044
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:46 am

The Pens once blew a 3-0 series lead. Two time defending Cup team that set a new record for winning streak, had one of the best seasons ever loses to a vastly inferior team. Somehow this is their worst series ever? Sorry but some of you guys need to take a step back and breathe. I'm as disappointed as anyone, I'm as shocked as anyone that they only scored two goals, but Boston is a damn good team, very well might win the Cup, arguably are a better team than the Pens no matter what the pre-playoffs expectations were.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:47 am

It was Cup or Bust, even Shero said so himself. How hard is that to understand?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,046
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Tyler Durden on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:49 am

SolidSnake wrote:It was Cup or Bust, even Shero said so himself. How hard is that to understand?


And that's absolutely the right thinking. I have faith in Shero going forward. Bylsma, not so much.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:50 am

It was Cup or bust. That doesn't mean they were guaranteed to win. That series was a bust. It just wasn't a travesty. Boston is better. Finding out that a team turned out to be better doesn't mean this was the worst thing to ever happen to the Pens. First thing it means is that the idea that the Pens were the favorites was wrong.
Last edited by Henry Hank on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:50 am

2 goals in 4 and a half games, while sporting what seemed like the best roster in hockey is indeed embarrassing and humbling. Not to us as fans, necessarily, but to the players, coaches, gm, owner, and the organization.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Most embarrassing loss in the....

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:54 am

Henry Hank wrote:It was Cup or bust. That doesn't mean they were guaranteed to win. That series was a bust. It just wasn't a travesty. Boston is better. Finding out that a team turned out to be better doesn't mean this was the worst thing to ever happen to the Pens.


Henry, let's not downplay what happened. Yes, Boston is a great team and it's what I warned against when I saw some people here say we don't have to worry going into the series. But they gave us a schooling in how it's done in the playoffs. This was an utter disaster and not just that we lost, that's not the issue, it's that we seemed completely out of ideas. This whole Penguin thing needs to be re-evaluated.. players or coaches, that's for Shero to decide.

edit: I wrote download instead of downplay :face:
Last edited by Sarcastic on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

e-mail