Everyone wants to fire Disco Dan

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Everyone wants to fire Disco Dan

Postby pcm on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:04 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:This team just needs a different guy at the helm. It's not as much of a knock on Bylsma as most people think. The average tenure of a HC at this level is only a few years, and you rarely get a guy like Babcock or Ruff who sticks around for a long time because he is just a really good fit for that team.

I think the organization would really prefer to have Blysma be one of those guys who becomes part of the culture, sticks around for a long time. That's the only explicable reason why he wasn't fired after last season's debacle. And I fear that that notion might prevail, but still have hope that if the Pens dont pull off a miracle this week, changes will indeed be coming.

I agree with Slappy's thinking that a coach who can develop young talent would be at the top of my list. It's essential to staying competitive in a salary cap. I'd really like to see a change of the guard in the supporting cast, from all these guys in their early 30s to a crop of younger hungrier players. Obviously balance is needed, but I think this is the change that will make the core guys mature quickest.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:32 pm

There is no reason that Bennett shouldn't be playing with either Crosby or Malkin tonight. None.

Matt Cooke playing with Malkin is just dumb. I'm sorry. Cooke has played hard, but he's not what Malkin and Neal need right now. Bennett came in last game and created like 3 or 4 high caliber scoring chances. Get him with Sid or Geno tonight and I bet something good will happen.

Hope I'm wrong, but just another example of mismanagement by Bylsma.

And why hasn't Iginla ever been given a shot with Crosby? And spare me the, "he's not fast enough to play with Sid" line. If that were true, then why was Billy G so effective with Sid during the Cup run? Guerin was slower then than Iginla is now. So that is a bogus excuse in my book.
Last edited by farnham16 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Dudes. If a coach is given so much talent and the team keeps coming up short in the playoffs and in, rather, spectacular fashions, even against competition it should beat, it's the damn coach. I've supported the guy all this time, but I think reality tells me it's time for a change.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:14 pm

farnham16 wrote:There is no reason that Bennett shouldn't be playing with either Crosby or Malkin tonight. None.

Matt Cooke playing with Malkin is just dumb. I'm sorry. Cooke has played hard, but he's not what Malkin and Neal need right now. Bennett came in last game and created like 3 or 4 high caliber scoring chances. Get him with Sid or Geno tonight and I bet something good will happen.

Hope I'm wrong, but just another example of mismanagement by Bylsma.

And why hasn't Iginla ever been given a shot with Crosby? And spare me the, "he's not fast enough to play with Sid" line. If that was true, then why was Billy G so effective with Sid during the Cup run? Guerin was slower then than Iginla is now. So that is a bogus excuse in my book.
yup.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:45 pm

One thing I just don't understand is the handling of Despres. I know he's a rookie and still making rookie errors, but I think he would be extremely effective for the Penguins transition game and generating offense. The Penguins need that right now.

The Penguins are proven to have a better record with Despres in the line-up and I don't think it's a coincidence.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:One thing I just don't understand is the handling of Despres. I know he's a rookie and still making rookie errors, but I think he would be extremely effective for the Penguins transition game and generating offense. The Penguins need that right now.

The Penguins are proven to have a better record with Despres in the line-up and I don't think it's a coincidence.

I don't understand... are you saying the penguins have a better record with him in the lineup than they do with him out of the lineup?
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:One thing I just don't understand is the handling of Despres. I know he's a rookie and still making rookie errors, but I think he would be extremely effective for the Penguins transition game and generating offense. The Penguins need that right now.

I don't think that's a great argument because the Pens lost like 3 games in the regular season with Eaton in the lineup and he can't even play in these playoffs.

I think a better question is why wasn't Despres a regular starter this season to prepare him for the playoffs? Because he wasn't, we are stuck with either Eaton or Engo.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:12 pm

He is putting the same 5 guys on the top pp unit. again. after not scoring a single goal this entire series.... wtf.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:52 pm

npv708 wrote:He is putting the same 5 guys on the top pp unit. again. after not scoring a single goal this entire series.... wtf.

If its broke, don't fix it.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:07 pm

farnham16 wrote:

I don't think that's a great argument because the Pens lost like 3 games in the regular season with Eaton in the lineup and he can't even play in these playoffs.

I think a better question is why wasn't Despres a regular starter this season to prepare him for the playoffs? Because he wasn't, we are stuck with either Eaton or Engo.

Yeah, that is a better question. Still, there's no reason to put him in now. I can't see how he could make us any weaker, but I can see how he can help.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:08 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:

I don't understand... are you saying the penguins have a better record with him in the lineup than they do with him out of the lineup?

I'm not sure how it's not clear. I specifically said "The Penguins are proven to have a better record with Despres in the line-up..."
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghThing on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:08 pm

BB on the 4th line, Cooke on the second. If that won't get him fired nothing will.
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:42 pm

BurghThing wrote:BB on the 4th line, Cooke on the second. If that won't get him fired nothing will.

None of it makes sense to me
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:50 pm

If the Pens go through an entire series with scoring 2 goals... EVERYONE SHOULD BE FIRED.

That is like hard to do, even for awful teams.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 pm

npv708 wrote:He is putting the same 5 guys on the top pp unit. again. after not scoring a single goal this entire series.... wtf.

I met Disco at the Pens Gear shop at the arena 2 years ago. He was really nice and talked to me while with his family. Later, we were looking at the interactive display and he came over again and we talked some more. I've been really rooting for him to succeed and stay with the team long term but his stubbornness to not adjust the PP at all this series is more than enough to get him fired.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck Drama on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Fire Shero 1st - bringing in old and slow was the worse thing for the Pens.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Puck Drama wrote:Fire Shero 1st - bringing in old and slow was the worse thing for the Pens.

I disagree completely. I think Shero made all the right moves and Bylsma is mis-using some of those players. Then again I don't know if you're being sarcastic lol.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:40 pm

bylsma says that they aren't changing a thing after scoring 1 goal in 5 periods. his team proceeds to get shut out the next game.

fire him.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Fire him now. I don't even want to hear his post game comments "we didn't get to our game" or see him riding the team bus. Make him walk.
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PhantomJB93 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:44 pm

I understand it's easy to like Bylsma but SOMETHING'S gotta **** change and not just the players. We did this dance once already in 2010 and it didn't work. "Getting to our game" is good when it works but when it doesn't it REALLY doesn't as we saw this week and Bylsma had no plan B. He didn't last year either.

Players gotta go too, I never want to see Letang or Niskanen in a Pens sweater again.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby midd on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Yep he has to go. This team needs a coach who is a motivator. They need a coach who will show some emotion and get in his players' faces to getthem to play. Bylsma is not that guy.
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:50 pm

midd wrote:Yep he has to go. This team needs a coach who is a motivator. They need a coach who will show some emotion and get in his players' faces to getthem to play. Bylsma is not that guy.

Great, how about Tortorella?

Spoiler:
please, god, no. please! no!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby iceolater on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Needs to go... Lindsey Rupp or John Stevens as our new man behind the bench. Would love to see Rupp and Miller (Goalie) come with him. We don't need Letang who wants to play offense n hardly and defense. Do we trade Geno? He played with tons of heart. Sid was simply hurt which we findout. I am looking forward to seeing the NEW Pens in October. Have a great off season and ... Chitown in 5 over Bruins for the cup.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jamie on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:51 pm

I believe it was Errey or Steigy who said that Bylsma has a coaching arrogance to the point he believes he does not need to make adjustments, the players just need to play his system better. I think we may have witnessed a little bit of that this series. The Bruins had a game plan and stuck to it. We generated little offense and little zone time. The Bruins retrieved the puck, won battles and exited the zone with little to no effort. Each game played out almost the exact same way because Bylsma failed to adjust to what Boston was doing.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jamie on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:51 pm

iceolater wrote:Needs to go... Lindsey Rupp or John Stevens as our new man behind the bench. Would love to see Rupp and Miller (Goalie) come with him. We don't need Letang who wants to play offense n hardly and defense. Do we trade Geno? He played with tons of heart. Sid was simply hurt which we findout. I am looking forward to seeing the NEW Pens in October. Have a great off season and ... Chitown in 5 over Bruins for the cup.

Can Mike Rupp join Lindsey?
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins