You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:33 am

taz71 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i don't see how murray fits into our plans right now.


I agree. Slow and steady loses the race



Gill was nothing but a pylon in the regular season, completely terrible at times.

Dude was sick in the playoffs with Gill - Scuderi

We have not replaced that since 2009. That was that last time FLEURY played so well.

Does it all fit together? I think so. We need a guy like Murray in the playoffs. It might not be him, you're right, but you need that.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,607
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby topshelf on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:03 am

Hopefully tomorrow we see Shero move Glass and his $1 mil. cap hit, and resign Cooke. :thumb:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,595
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Florida

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:29 am

topshelf wrote:Hopefully tomorrow we see Shero move Glass and his $1 mil. cap hit, and resign Cooke. :thumb:

Meh move on from Cooke. You can find someone else to perform his role (Lapierre) who is younger, cheaper, and doesn't have Cooke's baggage.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,576
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby KG on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:40 am

pens_CT wrote:
topshelf wrote:Hopefully tomorrow we see Shero move Glass and his $1 mil. cap hit, and resign Cooke. :thumb:

Meh move on from Cooke. You can find someone else to perform his role (Lapierre) who is younger, cheaper, and doesn't have Cooke's baggage.


Agreed. Lapierre and or Nystrom would be solid additions to the bottom lines...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby KG on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:43 am

One thing I don't want to see is a 3rd line of Jeffrey/Sutter/Jokinen to start the season...

I doubt Shero would do that. He has always liked his grit. I expect him to add some over the next few days via free agency/trade...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:49 am

KG wrote:One thing I don't want to see is a 3rd line of Jeffrey/Sutter/Jokinen to start the season...

I doubt Shero would do that. He has always liked his grit. I expect him to add some over the next few days via free agency/trade...


I think its an absolute must. This team right now is very easy to play against.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,105
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:09 am

Nisky and Glass to Col for McLeod and a 4th. Cooke replacement
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,878
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Beveridge on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:14 am

If we can't trade Glass, we can put him on waivers and send him down and only eat a 175k bury hit. If we can trade him, I imagine we'll be paying part of his salary (don't think Shero would keep any cap hit in that deal.)

Frees up .925 M at the absolute worst. I don't think Shero would send him down though.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,751
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:08 pm

I don't like Niskanen but I definitely wouldn't trade him for Cody McLeod. He's worth more than that...McLeod is a 4th liner...he's a Glass replacement, not a Cooke replacement, IMO...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,918
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Wouldnt mind Morrow back to be honest, even though I'm solidly in the "get younger / faster" camp.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,366
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Could see a Niskanen for Setoguchi swap.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,366
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby KG on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:17 pm

pcm wrote:Could see a Niskanen for Setoguchi swap.


If we didn't re-sign Dupuis I could have seen that. But now, we don't really have a need for Setoguchi. IMO....

Plus I believe Seto makes $3MM compared to Nisky $2.3MM
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby taz71 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:48 pm

I feel we have to sign a 3rd line winger from outside the system but would have to be a 1 year deal and that option may present itself at the trade deadline rather than FA. Still I would go 3 years on Cooke if his salary was under 1mil so he could be buried if needed.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby offsides on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
KG wrote:One thing I don't want to see is a 3rd line of Jeffrey/Sutter/Jokinen to start the season...

I doubt Shero would do that. He has always liked his grit. I expect him to add some over the next few days via free agency/trade...


I think its an absolute must. This team right now is very easy to play against.


We may be wrong, but I couldn't agree more.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,485
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Just saw a Tweet from Michael Farkas mentioning that Asham, Grabovski, Powe and Hedberg are on waivers. Just a few thoughts here...

- Might Grabovski be a good fit in Pittsburgh? His salary of $4.5 million through 2015-16 is steep, but unless I'm missing something, I would assume he's been placed on waivers to be bought out. If that is the case and he is willing to sign for $2 million on a one year deal, he could provide 50-60 point potential for an affordable price while allowing a backup plan in case Bennett isn't ready. Not familiar with his game, but something to discuss.

- I hate to see Asham and Hedberg on waivers. Two good humans whose careers may be at an end.

- Powe could be a good pick up as a fourth line energy player.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,847
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby taz71 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:03 pm

I think it is pretty clear we will need some 4th line players with two way contracts
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Defence21 wrote:Just saw a Tweet from Michael Farkas mentioning that Asham, Grabovski, Powe and Hedberg are on waivers. Just a few thoughts here...

- Might Grabovski be a good fit in Pittsburgh? His salary of $4.5 million through 2015-16 is steep, but unless I'm missing something, I would assume he's been placed on waivers to be bought out. If that is the case and he is willing to sign for $2 million on a one year deal, he could provide 50-60 point potential for an affordable price while allowing a backup plan in case Bennett isn't ready. Not familiar with his game, but something to discuss.

- I hate to see Asham and Hedberg on waivers. Two good humans whose careers may be at an end.

- Powe could be a good pick up as a fourth line energy player.


Not trying to destroy your posts and dreams,

but we have about 7 million of cap space needed for:

1-3rd line winger
1-4th line winger
1-bottom pair defense-man

if you want 4.5m at a forward, why not just bring Iggy back? He still out performs the production of Grabovski...
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,607
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Nizzy wrote:
Defence21 wrote:Just saw a Tweet from Michael Farkas mentioning that Asham, Grabovski, Powe and Hedberg are on waivers. Just a few thoughts here...

- Might Grabovski be a good fit in Pittsburgh? His salary of $4.5 million through 2015-16 is steep, but unless I'm missing something, I would assume he's been placed on waivers to be bought out. If that is the case and he is willing to sign for $2 million on a one year deal, he could provide 50-60 point potential for an affordable price while allowing a backup plan in case Bennett isn't ready. Not familiar with his game, but something to discuss.

- I hate to see Asham and Hedberg on waivers. Two good humans whose careers may be at an end.

- Powe could be a good pick up as a fourth line energy player.


Not trying to destroy your posts and dreams,

but we have about 7 million of cap space needed for:

1-3rd line winger
1-4th line winger
1-bottom pair defense-man

if you want 4.5m at a forward, why not just bring Iggy back? He still out performs the production of Grabovski...


The point was if he's bought out and is collecting his 4.5 mil from the leafs, you might get him here for cheap on a 1 yr deal.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,576
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby KG on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:52 pm

Defence21 wrote:Just saw a Tweet from Michael Farkas mentioning that Asham, Grabovski, Powe and Hedberg are on waivers. Just a few thoughts here...

- Might Grabovski be a good fit in Pittsburgh? His salary of $4.5 million through 2015-16 is steep, but unless I'm missing something, I would assume he's been placed on waivers to be bought out. If that is the case and he is willing to sign for $2 million on a one year deal, he could provide 50-60 point potential for an affordable price while allowing a backup plan in case Bennett isn't ready. Not familiar with his game, but something to discuss.

- I hate to see Asham and Hedberg on waivers. Two good humans whose careers may be at an end.

- Powe could be a good pick up as a fourth line energy player.


I see Grabovski getting a big contract from another team. Pens aren't in a position to be able to spend and get into a bidding war.

Weiss is going to get $5MM per year! tomorrow is going to get silly, quickly...

All this talk about 3rd/4th line guys for cheap...Maybe Colby Armstrong isn't looking that bad after all! :wink:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:58 pm

Komisarek or Ballard for 2M or under anyone? Crease clearing 3rd pairing guys?
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,878
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Not sure where you are getting $7m in cap space from. The Pens have 4.1m right now. Subtract Jeffrey and Bortuzzo -$1.3m = $2.8. Figure at least .8 for flexibility, and the Pens have $2m to sign 2 players.

If you dump Niskanen, and replace him with Dumoulin: +2.3 -9 = +$1.4m... @ 3.5 total.

That's realistically $2.5m max for a 3rd line RW and < 800k for a 4th liner.

Shero could also dump Jokinen and plug some of his salary into that 3rd line wing position, but I don't really see the need to bring in a player > $3m for the 3rd line. Would rather keep Jokinen as insurance in case of injury.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,366
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:Komisarek or Ballard for 2M or under anyone? Crease clearing 3rd pairing guys?


If you're referring to Ballard as a crease clearer, that would be incorrect. He's a puck-carrying, offensive defenseman.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,918
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Always liked Asham. He was the only player who brought his A game vs the Flyers. Would much rather have him than Glass.

Grabovski is a weak 2nd line center. Not sure what you want him for.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,366
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby KG on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Sign Nystrom (3 years $1.5MM per)
Colby, 1 year $800M...I know. But beggars can't be choosers and we are looking for grit for our bottom 2 lines for cheap.

Dupuis, Crosby, Kunitz
Neal, Malkin, Bennett
Nystrom, Sutter, Jokinen
Army, Vitale, Glass

I think that's pretty realistic about where we will be. Fine with me...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: You're the GM 2013-14, 2014-15

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:23 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Komisarek or Ballard for 2M or under anyone? Crease clearing 3rd pairing guys?


If you're referring to Ballard as a crease clearer, that would be incorrect. He's a puck-carrying, offensive defenseman.

Sorry more Komisarek on that front.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,878
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Desiato and 7 guests


e-mail