Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby shmenguin on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:35 am

last year showed that the length of the full season can be pretty arbitrary when it comes to the ultimate cup winner.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:40 am

Meeting pushed back to 10:30 due to doughnut supplier stuck in traffic.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:53 am

shmenguin wrote:last year showed that the length of the full season can be pretty arbitrary when it comes to the ultimate cup winner.

Yeah, how about that?

I know someone at work who's a SoCal native and the most legit, old-school Kings fan I've ever met. He's still in shock at the machine-like performance the Kings put on the playoffs after squeaking into the playoffs.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:56 am

Gaucho wrote:Meeting pushed back to 10:30 due to doughnut supplier stuck in traffic.

I wonder if they'll agree on bike delivery for next time.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:15 am

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
NHLPA sent letter to members of Cdn Parliament. Letter can be found at http://es.pn/10tpMfb (ESPN) or http://bit.ly/10tpPrp (TSN)
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:19 am

Gaucho wrote:Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
NHLPA sent letter to members of Cdn Parliament. Letter can be found at http://es.pn/10tpMfb (ESPN) or http://bit.ly/10tpPrp (TSN)

Good for them?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:23 am

Seems like a lame attempt to apply pressure on the owner.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:28 am

Gaucho wrote:Seems like a lame attempt to apply pressure on the owner.

Yeah. Not sure what they hoped to accomplish here.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:34 am

Let's have a betting pool on the length of today's meeting. I say 7 minutes. 4 to grab and devour doughnuts, 2 to take a look at the proposal, 1 for the laughter to subside.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
We're hearing today's NHLPA proposal to NHL will include increasing the NHL's $211M Make Whole provision by another $180M.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:38 am

Gaucho wrote:Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
We're hearing today's NHLPA proposal to NHL will include increasing the NHL's $211M Make Whole provision by another $180M.

They seem determined to make this work. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 am

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl
In NYC for #CBA meetings. Early indication,NHLPA has made a significant move in the direction of the owners. #TSN
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:42 am

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
We're also hearing the NHLPA proposal will work off a percentage of HRR -- as requested by NHL -- and not a guaranteed dollar amount.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:00 pm

We're also hearing the NHLPA proposal will work off a percentage of HRR -- as requested by NHL -- and not a guaranteed dollar amount.

That's good.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:10 pm

newarenanow wrote:

That's good.

Its a start alot can go wrong from here. But i truly honestly believe the owners want the dollars and cents worked out first and foremost. Also as hardlined as the seems on the contracting issues, they will soften as long as the dollars and cents work out. But the will hold onto the idea the cap circumeventions deals must stop. Thats the 5% varience clause.

Owner will let the players keep the 27/7 and will allow contract be longer than 5 years.

I refuse the get optimistic about anything positive. Fehrs math never seems to add up like it looks. It looks 50/50 but all his growth factors runs it up to alot more.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Donald Fehr says new proposal is "about as good we can do."

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Donald Fehr says sides are $182 million apart over the five-year deal.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Fehr says both sides will reconvene at 1 pm ET
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 pm

Gaucho wrote:Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

To add some perspective, that amounts to $1.2-million per team per season. If that number is correct, then I don't see why those terms wouldn't be agreed to.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:49 pm

I was wondering the same.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby interstorm on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:50 pm

tfrizz wrote:

To add some perspective, that amounts to $1.2-million per team per season. If that number is correct, then I don't see why those terms wouldn't be agreed to.

You never know...the NFL, which makes a lot more, had the officials on strike for just $100,000 a team.
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Sounds like they're finally making real progress.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:59 pm

interstorm wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

You never know...the NFL, which makes a lot more, had the officials on strike for just $100,000 a team.

Its all in how you break down the numbers. The owners already said they would pay 211 million, thats 7.03 over 5 years, add that to the 182 the players want in addition thats, 6.03 over 5 year. In total 13.6 million paid by each team over 5 years. Sounds like alot of coin to me. Some teams just don't have that lying around. But we'll see how Gary and Company look at this.

But all in all, i have to admit its not unreasonable for the players to want their existing contracts be paid in full. If you offer a player a contract you should be ready to pay them in full.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:06 pm

no name wrote:But all in all, i have to admit its not unreasonable for the players to want their existing contracts be paid in full. If you offer a player a contract you should be ready to pay them in full.

I'm fine with that, as long as this year they get paid a % based on number of games in the shortened season. I disagree with PA's initial demand that owners are to be required to cover the entire damage.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:09 pm

no name wrote:
But all in all, i have to admit its not unreasonable for the players to want their existing contracts be paid in full. If you offer a player a contract you should be ready to pay them in full.

This is the part I absolutely don't understand. Did some of the owners offer those big 12-year-contracts with the soon to be expiring CBA in mind, ie with the intention of not honoring them anyway?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Fehr wouldn't confirm he was pushed to change PA's position in proposal, but, told he and hardliners had to be convinced to move.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:11 pm

no name wrote:
interstorm wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Its all in how you break down the numbers. The owners already said they would pay 211 million, thats 7.03 over 5 years, add that to the 182 the players want in addition thats, 6.03 over 5 year. In total 13.6 million paid by each team over 5 years. Sounds like alot of coin to me. Some teams just don't have that lying around. But we'll see how Gary and Company look at this.

Even if you take $211+182-million, it's less than half the additional revenue the owners would receive from a 50/50 split. Neither Bettman nor Fehr are idiots, contrary to popular belief, and that means they understand what this means for the NHL moving forward. Sure, it's a fair chunk of money over the next 5 years BUT it sets the bar moving forward. When the next CBA runs out, the 50/50 framework will already be in place and that should mean no squabbling about money.

Gaucho wrote:
no name wrote:

This is the part I absolutely don't understand. Did some of the owners offer those big 12-year-contracts with the soon to be expiring CBA in mind, ie with the intention of not honoring them anyway?

That is the implication, and one of the biggest supporting pieces was how quickly the ownership in Minnesota stood up and said "well, we can't afford these contracts" right after throwing huge deals at Suter & Parise.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins