Eric Tangradi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby Luckybreak on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:27 pm

RainbowsAndCottonCandy wrote:
no name wrote:Luckybreak:

IMO HCDB has failed several players by ignoring their strengths in favour of 'getting to our game' (other examples being Martin and Michalek).

Intresting i never thought of this but can't argue with it. But could it be Shero mis-identified their playing styles as to how they would fit into Dan B's system. Cause Tangradi never seemed to be fit for the pens style either.

I would agree that it is more about finding a player that fits your system rather than building around their talents in the PENS case. We already have enough guys to define our team and our systems.

On a team that does not have this luxury it becomes important to focus on your core players skill sets and go from there. There are coaches who are excellent tacticians like HCDB and there are coaches that excel at doing with what they got, Hitchcock.

Then there are guys who are good at both...Babcock.

Shero wanted to bolster the D and identified M+M as being relatively mobile skaters who would fit the 'system' thinking he had the blueprint. Whilst they failed to adapt, Niskanen (similar size and considered a good skater) flourished. I think there are many reasons for this but it is clear that Bylsma's system doesn't suit everyone and you cannot attempt to pick 'clones'.

I don't want to start a debate on which coaching style is best (all can be successful), but I have always wondered how the players the Pens had/have would respond to a more 'Hitchcockian' coach? I hope this season HCDB learns from past inflexibility and lacking a 'plan B'. Perhaps Shero has removed Dan's blinkers? Perhaps the love affair with CFA will come to an end? Perhaps Tangradi's positive attributes will be utilised more effectively?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:33 pm

Luckybreak wrote:Perhaps the love affair with CFA will come to an end

Could Therrien ever quit Oullet? Didn't think so. We're stuck with him taking a roster spot for another year.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:01 am

meecrofilm wrote:

Could Therrien ever quit Oullet? Didn't think so. We're stuck with him taking a roster spot for another year.

Back in those days (before Letang, Dupuis, etc..) who else was MT going to discuss baggets and wine with in his native tongue?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:06 pm

sil wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:

Back in those days (before Letang, Dupuis, etc..) who else was MT going to discuss baggets and wine with in his native tongue?

Obviously you've never met a French Canadian.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:32 pm

I'm usually in the camp that says you earn your spot, but as we're talking about where the roster is right now, I'd throw him out there with 87 or 71 for at least 20 games. IMO, it's a little early to give up on a 23 year old kid that's been in pro hockey for 3 years, especially when most of his NHL time has been in limited minutes with bottom 6 forwards. That said, I think he is waiver-eligible this year. No knock on Nick Johnson, but if he gets claimed, there's no way Tangradi clears. Since we aren't exactly swimming with options for the 1 open spot in the top 6, I say you give him an extended look before you potentially lose him for nothing.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:39 pm

netwolf wrote:I'm usually in the camp that says you earn your spot, but as we're talking about where the roster is right now, I'd throw him out there with 87 or 71 for at least 20 games. IMO, it's a little early to give up on a 23 year old kid that's been in pro hockey for 3 years, especially when most of his NHL time has been in limited minutes with bottom 6 forwards. That said, I think he is waiver-eligible this year. No knock on Nick Johnson, but if he gets claimed, there's no way Tangradi clears. Since we aren't exactly swimming with options for the 1 open spot in the top 6, I say you give him an extended look before you potentially lose him for nothing.

I have no problem giving him a GOOD look\chance, but will DB give it to him? ............doubt it
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins