Now What ?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Now What ?

Postby dhayer18 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:17 pm

this team did not improve this off season, actually got worse losing Staal they need to get a winger for Sid and a solid defense-men. Trade or FA
dhayer18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Now What ?

Postby ysthomas on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Didnt they pick up an actual defensive 3rd line center in Sutter? Sid obviously needs a winger. He never scores many points with the likes of Duper. Defense, yes they need.
ysthomas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dhayer18 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:26 pm

ysthomas wrote:Didnt they pick up an actual defensive 3rd line center in Sutter? Sid obviously needs a winger. He never scores many points with the likes of Duper. Defense, yes they need.

if Shero didn't think Sid "needed" a winger why did he go after Parise so hard ? sounds like he didn't really want him right ?
dhayer18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Drewski17 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:31 pm

go get Carle, Winnik, Wellwood

Carle will shore up the D
Winnik will play 4th line role, physical, relegates Adams to pressbox as 13th forward
Wellwood to play wing (I believe he did with the Jets a bit) on the top 2 lines

could probably get all 3 for 8-9mil (5,1,2) respectively
Drewski17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:32 pm

"we win the whole ****ing thing"
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ysthomas on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:33 pm

It was all a ruse. Shero just needed a reason not to resign sullivan. He wanted the breakup to be gentle.
ysthomas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DayWalker on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Now what?

Now I am going to go sit on a boat, drink, listen to the Pirates game, and hang out with some hot chicks.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dhayer18 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Shane Doan is a little old but so was Billy G... or do you take the risk on Semin ? that is really a hit or miss with that guy.
dhayer18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Haven't semin's last two contracts been 1 year? If you can duplicate that 6.7/1 contract, I'd do it in a second. If he lives up to his inaccurate reputation, he's definitely perfect for a Dan Bylsma team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Drewski17 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:56 pm

bhaw wrote:"we win the whole ****ing thing"

winner
Drewski17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Eismann on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:58 pm

Nash to Pens for every d prospect.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Haven't semin's last two contracts been 1 year? If you can duplicate that 6.7/1 contract, I'd do it in a second. If he lives up to his inaccurate reputation, he's definitely perfect for a Dan Bylsma team.

With the amount of space we have, that's pretty much perfect.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Drewski17 wrote:
bhaw wrote:"we win the whole ****ing thing"

winner

This would have worked before the new Arena, when that ***** was trying to move this team to Miami.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jogr4909 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:59 pm

dhayer18 wrote:this team did not improve this off season, actually got worse losing Staal they need to get a winger for Sid and a solid defense-men. Trade or FA

It will be interesting to hear what GM Shero says. There is work to be done this summer for sure.
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:40 pm

We dance.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:41 pm

ysthomas wrote:Didnt they pick up an actual defensive 3rd line center in Sutter? Sid obviously needs a winger. He never scores many points with the likes of Duper. Defense, yes they need.

Ugh what? Look at what he was doing and who he was doing it with the partial year before he dented his head.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Now what?

Enjoy your Summer and what the Pirates are doing...
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheBigLebowski on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Why worry? The Pen's still have Tyler 'friggin' Kennedy.
TheBigLebowski
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bioshock on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Well, from the quotes Shero gave today, we all have to assume he is still looking for wingers out there for Sid. That's his top priority and the Pens have a ton of prospects to move from the blue line if need be for trades. Relax people, step away from the internet and go have a cold one on the 4th.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:27 pm

Give the youngsters a shot, & if they don't cut it make some trades at the deadline.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:45 pm

I really wasn't crazy about signing Parise for 13 years and a hundred million bucks. He is not Crosby or Malkin.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:49 pm

If last years Jagr fiasco taught me anything, I'll buy a wild jersey and burn it then post the video to YouTube.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cosmo_kramer on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm of the mindset that the Pens should not go get a top line winger (Bobby Ryan, Rick Nash, etc.) to just get a top line winger. That is when you overspend. With Pittsburgh's lineup, a top line forward is just not necessary. Obviously with Zach Parise it was a different story. He was friends with Crosby, an UFA, and Captain of the Stanley Cup runner ups. But once we lost out on him, we have more important deficits to address before a top line winger. Obviously there is an opening on the top line with Crosby, but that can be filled by bringing up Kennedy (or another player) or signing a cheaper UFA player that can fill that role (Wellwood? Knuble is too old and couldn't fill that role in Washington this season).

Last season the Penguins outscored the entire NHL. The Penguins had 282 goals and the next closest team was the Bruins at 269. This was all without Crosby for the majority of the season (60 games). In the playoffs, the team scored an average of 4 goals a game.

What the Penguins lacked was defense and bottom line forwards/character. Getting Taylor Glass was a start and bringing up Dustin Jeffrey will help, but the Penguins need more grit and character. On defense, the Penguins have Orpik and then no other solid defenseman that can shut down the opposing team. Do you trust Martin to fill that role? Lovejoy? Nisky? Engelland? Scott Hannan could be a solid older pickup, or the team could look to fill this area with a trade.
Cosmo_kramer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby firepower on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Cosmo_kramer wrote:I'm of the mindset that the Pens should not go get a top line winger (Bobby Ryan, Rick Nash, etc.) to just get a top line winger. That is when you overspend. With Pittsburgh's lineup, a top line forward is just not necessary. Obviously with Zach Parise it was a different story. He was friends with Crosby, an UFA, and Captain of the Stanley Cup runner ups. But once we lost out on him, we have more important deficits to address before a top line winger. Obviously there is an opening on the top line with Crosby, but that can be filled by bringing up Kennedy (or another player) or signing a cheaper UFA player that can fill that role (Wellwood? Knuble is too old and couldn't fill that role in Washington this season).

Last season the Penguins outscored the entire NHL. The Penguins had 282 goals and the next closest team was the Bruins at 269. This was all without Crosby for the majority of the season (60 games). In the playoffs, the team scored an average of 4 goals a game.

What the Penguins lacked was defense and bottom line forwards/character. Getting Taylor Glass was a start and bringing up Dustin Jeffrey will help, but the Penguins need more grit and character. On defense, the Penguins have Orpik and then no other solid defenseman that can shut down the opposing team. Do you trust Martin to fill that role? Lovejoy? Nisky? Engelland? Scott Hannan could be a solid older pickup, or the team could look to fill this area with a trade.

Agreed about no gritty shut down d-men. They also need a cannon back there as well especially for the pp. I can't remember how many times I saw the Pens d get a wide open point shot only to take a weak wrister that barely made it to the net. Gonchar comes to mide as far as cannons. I know Morrow is in the system, but how likely is he to get the call this season? Just saying could use a cannon too.
firepower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:16 pm

I agree to an extent but the thought of Dupuis, Kennedy, and an aging Kunitz in our top six makes me cry. Too bad we passed on Forsberg /sarcasm butnotreallysarcasm
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins